Magician Lord cart owner, please read and answer this

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
Apparently Magician Lord was first released on AES with the checkpoint respawn system, MVS was released around June with instant respawn system and then the AES 07.01.91 release with instant respawn as well.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Yeah I just checked and I have a version 2 home cart.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
I forgot to add that revision 2 had a 2nd AES release in 93, with plastic case and no rental mention obviously.

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Didnt this happen on Blues Journey and Ghost Pilots as well? I remember having 2 or 3 copies of these games and saw differences in the scroll, for instance in Blues Journey on a PAL system some backgrounds disappeared on the upper and lower borders of the screen (maybe only a PAL resolution issue), but then on some other cartridges for the same game, this worked just fine. Same goes for Ghost Pilots.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I assume they just ended up using MVS roms for the later AES releases, for whatever reason. FYI, only the P rom is different.

As far as I know, Magician Lord is the only game with different MVS and AES roms that plays dramatically different. Are there others?

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
Didnt this happen on Blues Journey and Ghost Pilots as well? I remember having 2 or 3 copies of these games and saw differences in the scroll, for instance in Blues Journey on a PAL system some backgrounds disappeared on the upper and lower borders of the screen (maybe only a PAL resolution issue), but then on some other cartridges for the same game, this worked just fine. Same goes for Ghost Pilots.

Almost certain this was a PAL display issue as I had both games for a PAL machine in 92 and then bought an NTSC machine and I can recall the same thing on the PAL Neo.

Gemant

Member,
NAM 1975 have 1 revision only in MVS, without demonstration play and without neo geo max 330 mega jingle. Not exist (at least I never see in all my life) a revision MVS with demonstration play. AES version have demonstration play and 330 mega jingle.

About Magicial Lord there are 2 different revision in MVS and AES (one with check point system and one without check point).

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
AES Nam75 has at least 3 revisions: without neo intro, with, with and inactive player can join anytime.
I've never heard of 2 revisions for MVS Magician Lord.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I just did GadgetUK's mod to my Magician Lord MVS cart. Now my cart has both the home and MVS versions:

Thanks, GadgetUK!

I hate to mod original SNK carts unless I have to, and I suppose the whole thing is moot now that we have flash carts, but I did this and MS2 Turbo purely to improve functionality of what I have. I don't think I'll be doing the SS3 patch to my cart any time soon -- it may improve the game but I want to have the original and an unadulterated cart.

Anyway, I did the Magician Lord mod because this is the only game that has distinct roms for the MVS and AES versions of the game. I really want to be able to play the more challenging home version with the intro on my system, but I can also see the merit of being able to have the option of credit-feeding through.

GreyFox

n00b
I have a loose Magician Lord cartridge (Japanese). It has the intro, 3-3 energy bar etc

It is Romset 2

I have a loose cartridge of Ghost pilots too. Will check the number of continues and report back