Magical Drop Pocket Question

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I recently picked up this game. I got the jap version thinking that language was based on NGPC language setting like many of the other games.

Well it's not.

So my question is, on the self challenge mode difficulty select screen you have the option of:

Easy
Medium
Hard
and a fourth play option that translates to what?

Gamefaqs dosen't have the forth mode listed but you do not get to select a character like the other self challenge mode selections, when you chose this mode it jumps right into the game. Is this a puzzle mode?

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Pretty sure it means very hard as there are 4 settings.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Pretty sure it means very hard as there are 4 settings.

I think this one is endless mode, it's not hard and I can easily make it to level 60. When I select Hard (which is right above the mode I am asking about), I'm lucky if I can make it to level 20.

From what I have read there are 5 difficulty levels for vs CPU (Super Easy, Easy, Medium, Hard, Super Hard) and only 3 for Self Challenge (Easy, Medium, Hard).

Anyway, I could be wrong. It just doesn't make sense for Very hard to be easier then hard especially after playing Very Hard in Vs CPU and seeing how difficult that was.

While I was typing this up, I checked out the US Rom and this 4th mode isn't in there. After selecting self development, it just gives the Easy, Medium, Hard options and then character select. In the mode I'm asking about, you select it and then it jumps straight into the game w/NO character select screen. I also know this isn't friend mode - that mode is blocked out until a link cable is hooked up.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Oh your right, there are 5 dificulty settings.

Im looking at my copy now. And there are only 3 settings. Story, self challenge and friend challenge. The 4th is options. I didnt know that there were alterations between versions released.

I think this one is endless mode, it's not hard and I can easily make it to level 60. When I select Hard (which is right above the mode I am asking about), I'm lucky if I can make it to level 20.

From what I have read there are 5 difficulty levels for vs CPU (Super Easy, Easy, Medium, Hard, Super Hard) and only 3 for Self Challenge (Easy, Medium, Hard).

Anyway, I could be wrong. It just doesn't make sense for Very hard to be easier then hard especially after playing Very Hard in Vs CPU and seeing how difficult that was.

While I was typing this up, I checked out the US Rom and this 4th mode isn't in there. After selecting self development, it just gives the Easy, Medium, Hard options and then character select. In the mode I'm asking about, you select it and then it jumps straight into the game w/NO character select screen. I also know this isn't friend mode - that mode is blocked out until a link cable is hooked up.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Oh your right, there are 5 dificulty settings.

Im looking at my copy now. And there are only 3 settings. Story, self challenge and friend challenge. The 4th is options. I didnt know that there were alterations between versions released.

I didn't realize there may be different versions until I read your post, that's what made me check out the US rom.

Here is the menu layout for the jap version:

Story --> S. Easy, Easy, Medium, Hard, Super Hard --> char select Screen --> gameplay

Self Challenge --> Easy, Medium, Hard, Mystery unknown mode --> underlined choices take you to char select screen (mystery mode does not take you to char select screen) --> gameplay

Friendplay --> (no idea as I haven't played it but assuming) Char select --> gameplay

Options

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Comon guys, 65 views and nobody can help me out???

Please don't make me beg! This lack of knowledge is killing me!

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I really wish I could help you. I looked through the US manual, hoping to find something. For self challenge mode, it says "Three difficulty levels have been prepared." It also notes: "When you finish a game in the "SELF CHALLENGE" Mode, make a note of the password that appears under the skill level on the skill level certification screen - because it may be useful later on..."

It's talking about you rank such as "Excellent" or "Not Bad" that you get on the final stats screen once the game is over. I'm not really sure why they may be useful later on however...

Maybe you can unlock something by doing very well in this mode? I really have no idea.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
You might be right, maybe it is something unlockable...not sure as the game was purchased used -- however my copy didn't have the bonus chars unlocked yet and this mode was available from the start, so I'm not sure.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I played Self Challenge mode for an hour or so last night, hoping to find something - but I didn't. Easy Mode cuts you off at level 30, and suggests trying medium mode. I wanted to see if medium maxed out (if it did, it would look more like hard maxed out). I got to level 78 on medium, and scored 220k or so and got the rank Whiz. If anyone else can do better, please let us know and try to unlock something!

It is also probably a good idea to look through the Japanese manual and see what it says about the modes. I'm sure someone here has it (if you don't), and I know we have some Japanese speakers around here.

As you can tell, I'm just as intrigued as you!

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I played Self Challenge mode for an hour or so last night, hoping to find something - but I didn't. Easy Mode cuts you off at level 30, and suggests trying medium mode. I wanted to see if medium maxed out (if it did, it would look more like hard maxed out). I got to level 78 on medium, and scored 220k or so and got the rank Whiz. If anyone else can do better, please let us know and try to unlock something!

It is also probably a good idea to look through the Japanese manual and see what it says about the modes. I'm sure someone here has it (if you don't), and I know we have some Japanese speakers around here.

As you can tell, I'm just as intrigued as you!

I have a manual, I just can't read it. Here are some screen grabs of neopop running the jap rom, maybe someone can translate it from that.

On the screen grab on the left side of the set, I have selected self challenge. The screen shot on the right side of the set is the menu screen directly after the self challenge screen -- difficulty selects, and mystery mode. Mystery mode was highlighted.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
If I'm not mistaken, the "mystery word" on the right screen is read as "Challenge" (it's directly an English word, although written in hiragana). Usually katakana is used to write English words, but on the left screen "Game Option" is also written in hiragana.

I guess it must be an extra hard difficulty level or an infinite mode, I've never tried it myself.

cheers,

[OCEAN]

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Thanks! Based on the game play, I'm thinking infinite mode.