Magical Drop 3...

Scrooewe

n00b
At my local arcade this game was stationed way in the back.. waaaay in the corner... out of sight and out of mind. Yet we all flocked to it like a damn moth! It's been years since I've played in its original form. Sure, I've got the ROM on the computer.. and played the japanese version for the PS -- but they fall short when in comparison to standing in front of a cabinet arcade system. I recently came across a Buzzle Popple cab that a friend had and it brought back these old memories. Either way, it led me to thinking about seeing if these older games were still floating around. With a little search I found this place.. I did some wandering around -- saw the Magical Drop 3 MVS ... then snooped around some more to figure out what MVS even meant. *shrugs* But, to the best of my knowledge, it would seem that one would need to purchase the Magical Drop 3 cartridge AND a cabinet "arcade" system to hook it up to? Has anyone actually seen an aracde system with Magical Drop 3 in one clean package for sale, ever? What would you figure this'll cost.. my friends Boggle set up set him back 240. I'd be willing to pay that and more for this. Anyone have any suggestions on how I go about searching this out? Thanks -- Jay

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
First off, welcome to the boards!

Second off, don't be offended by the impending flames......

As far as what you'd need to do, there's several options:

1. Buy a Magical Drop 3 MVS cart for about $50 or so (Japanese version, plays in english on an english system) and a Arcade cabinet with Neo Geo 1-, 2-, 4-, or 6- slot in it for about $300-1000 (price range is broad).

2. Buy a Magical Drop 3 AES (home) cart for about $500-700 and an AES system for about $150-250. The only version of the homecart is Japanese, but again will play on an english system in english.

3. Buy a Magical Drop 3 MVS cart for about $50, a Phantom-1 converter for about $200, and an AES system for about $150-250.

4. Buy a Magical Drop 3 MVS cart, a Neo Geo 1-slot board (like an MV-1FZ) for about $100, and a supergun for about $200 to play all MVS games on your TV.

And that game is a huge favorite of many NG enthusiasts!

Scrooewe

n00b
Wow, nice quick response! Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, though unfortunately Magical Drop 3 is universally unknown to most -- it's by far the best puzzle game I've ever played and will possibly ever play. But the first option sounds good to me.. it sounds like it's something like what I'm describing. Should I attempt to purchase any specific type of arcade cabinet (besides an english one) and are there any types I should stay far far away from? Thanks -- Jay

SSS

neo retired
A
D-Lite said:

1. Buy a Magical Drop 3 MVS cart for about $50 or so (Japanese version, plays in english on an english system) and a Arcade cabinet with Neo Geo 1-, 2-, 4-, or 6- slot in it for about $300-1000 (price range is broad).

2. Buy a Magical Drop 3 AES (home) cart for about $500-700 and an AES system for about $150-250. The only version of the homecart is Japanese, but again will play on an english system in english.

3. Buy a Magical Drop 3 MVS cart for about $50, a Phantom-1 converter for about $200, and an AES system for about $150-250.

4. Buy a Magical Drop 3 MVS cart, a Neo Geo 1-slot board (like an MV-1FZ) for about $100, and a supergun for about $200 to play all MVS games on your TV.

And that game is a huge favorite of many NG enthusiasts!

5. Buy it for both MVS and homecart. :emb:

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Scrooewe said:
unfortunately Magical Drop 3 is universally unknown to most -
Not in these parts, mister. Nor in Japan. Hugely popular game. Wasn't there a Saturn version too?

Scrooewe said:
Should I attempt to purchase any specific type of arcade cabinet (besides an english one) and are there any types I should stay far far away from? Thanks -- Jay

Check over at www.hardmvs.com for the lowdown on the different Neo cabs. I'd try to find a Neo 25" or 29" with a 4-slot in it.

Other opinions?

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
D-Lite said:

5. Buy a consolized mvs board. one that you'll be happy with for years - a top notch one, that is ...

http://www.sgrepository.com/modules/xoopsgallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=supergoose_console

http://home.arcor.de/supergoose/neo_geo/consolized_stuff/mv-2f/

http://home.arcor.de/supergoose/neo_geo/consolized_stuff/mv-1fz/

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
woot, magical drop 3, one of the most loved in my collection

Scrooewe

n00b
Thanks for all the information guys! When looking to buying a Cabinet I'd probably want to look locally to cut down on shipping cost, eh? .. erm, anyone know of people around the LA area selling?

Last edited:

Blue Mary Mania 8

King's Dry Cleaner
Very cool. Magical Drop 3 is my favorite puzzle game of all time!!! And I like puzzle games alot, so that is saying a hell of alot. So you are in good company. In my honest and humble oppinion the best and cheapest way to go is buy the MVS version, and a supergun with a MV1 or MV2 Board, the MV2 offers a memory card reader and 2 carts. If the supergun has s-video (which is almost certain) the Magical Drop 3 supersaturated colors will be pristine and perfect and you do not need a huge cabinet sitting in your living room! I would think a huge cab in my living room would be cool as all hell, but, anyway... It is the cheapest route. A consolized 2 slot is also hella cool, and Supergoose (my compliments on that rockin' Atomiswave project) makes some great stuff that is also a great route to go.

The AES route is certainly NOT for everyone:
$500+ for a Magical Drop 3 AES cart
$150-200 for an AES
then like $175-250 for a X-Neo adapter (for s-video).
I like the X-Neo the most, but you can also get your AES modded, but, I have seen both, and the X-Neo does a better job and you don't have to butcher your AES...

Anyway. You have options! You could always just buy a platformed version, the Saturn has a Magical Drop 3...

Good to have some new blood with good taste! It gets pretty boring with new people asking for MOTW! lol

:cool:

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Scrooewe said:
Thanks for all the information guys! When looking to buying a Cabinet I'd probably want to look locally to cut down on shipping cost, eh? .. erm, anyone know of people around the LA area selling?

Check the Selling Forum right now. Shpoo is in SoCal and has a 25" candy cab for sale (no board though).

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
Indeed it is the greatest puzzler ever.

Got mine from that one dipshit, you might have heard of him, I think his name is D-Lite. :mr_t:

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
Excellent game, you should have no problem finding a cab in LA.

Also, not only will you get to play Magical Drop 3 on your cab (if you get one), but you'll be able to play the tons of other fantastic neo geo games.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
BTW...it is Puzzle Bobble not Buzzle Pobble or Boggle.

and MVS stands for Multi Video System. The arcade Neo Geo is called that because it can exchange Multiple Cartridges. Old style arcade games were a single board and that board was the only game that board would ever be.

Scrooewe

n00b
I knew this game had a following -- just didn't know where it was outside my close knit friends. I know a few of the home systems and consolized set-ups might be cheaper... but it's a sort'f nostalgic notion I have. I'd prefer to get something very similiar to what I used to play. I guess I'm picky :eek_2: ... though the candy cab is nice it just ain't the same, y'know? .. either way I'll keep lookin' around. Thanks guys.

bones

Crazed MVS Addict
Another place to check out kinda near your 'hood is Superauctions, check out superauctions.com for more info. Looks like they have one in San Jose next month. That's where I got my big red 2 slot, can sometimes come away with a deal (;

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
Welcome to the boards!

I know what you mean, as I picked up a Big Red 6-slot myself - for the nostalgia value, as you said, plus for the kick-ass value!
Don't deny the Candy Cabs, though, as they will totally grow on you and soon you will want one. Or two. Or a couple more. :D

If you want to just play the games, pick up an MVS-based cab, a Supergun or a consolized MVS. You can be an MVS collector, though, but that's a whole different thread (read: Shock Boxes, kits, marquees, etc.)
Collectors mostly buy the AES/NGH just because of the artwork on the cases and the value of the carts.

Heavily research the Neo before plunking down the cash, since it's not like most other classic systems. You will make the right decision and start giving more and more money towards it - and you won't regret a thing. :mr_t:

Good luck!

P.S. - There are loads of places to buy cabinets in your area, just check the forums. As for consoles and games, they can be picked up at the NeoStore, the forums or a few other respected sites. If you aren't sure about a seller, search first, then ask! :smirk:
Also, you don't need to worry about English system, Japaneses system, etc. Check out the faqs on the language settings and the various bioses available. Run a few searches and see what's best for you.

neo*geo

Mickey's Coach
I bought Magical Drop 3 on playstation and told my friend and he came round to play it and he asked if he could borrow it and he has had it for about 3 months now he loves it he can play it for like 12 hours straight.

snkfever

Cheng's Errand Boy
I used to be a hudge tetris and puyo fan but its Magical Drop all the way now! :buttrock:

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
buy an x-box, play it on your tv, antialiases, and with a d-pad instead of a joystick or thumb pad...

SSS

neo retired
EvilWasabi said:
buy an x-box, play it on your tv, antialiases, and with a d-pad instead of a joystick or thumb pad...

D-pad does not do the game justice. I've tried playing on my computer with one, can't keep up the same speed I can with an old style neo stick. To play it on my computer I've been using the Sammy svc PSX stick with a PSX>USB adapter.