Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I've been looking forward to this game for awhile. It and the new Animal Crossing game were among the reasons I even picked up the system. That being said: I'll probably wait until the reviews are in to pick it up.

Luigis Mansion on the GC was one of those great games that no one really talked about because of all the other mario titles.

chipperkwah

Armored Scrum Object
Saw this when I woke up this morning, loved the original so much. I just hope that the sense of weirdness I got from the original is still there.
Favorite moment in the gamecube game? Walking out onto the rainbow path after looking through the telescope.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
I loved it too, the homage to it on Nintendo Land is good but hope for a full blown sequel :-)

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
I loved the first Luigi's Mansion and can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I just finished up the first mission, time for first impressions.

Straight away, this is an amazing looking portable game. I haven't experienced a visually wowing portable game since God of War Chains of Olympus on PSP. The color palette is broad, vibrant...all of the ghostly neon pops wonderfully on screen. I'd argue that Dark Moon looks nicer than the original GC game. I'd also argue that it's the best looking game in the 3DS library.

On controls. Since the original game was a twin stick game I was worried that the 3DS's single stick would hamper gameplay. Although it's early I've had little trouble using the face buttons to look up and down. Give it a few minutes and it'll feel natural.

On audio. Usually one of the main reasons behind my liking or not liking a game, Dark Moon's audio does not disappoint. It perfectly sets the game's mood as a horror/adventure. You'll even occasionally hear Luigi happily hum along to the background track, as though he's trying to calm himself. Thunder rumbles, ghosts cackle, and backgrounds environments offer pseudo-realistic sound effects.

Needless to say, but Dark Moon's curb appeal is fantastic.

I'll edit with more later on as I play through the day.

Edit: just finished up mission A-3.

This feels like a horror funhouse. Haunted house tropes have been woven into how the player progresses through the mansion. 19th century small service elevators, movable spaces between the walls, etc. I get the sense that I'm in a haunted house you'd find at your state fair or an annual Halloween farmland conversion scarehouse.

Sadly, not all is great. The 3D adds nothing to the atmosphere set by the audio and visuals. I'd even advise against playing with 3D on as it causes the graphics engine to produce some seriously ugly jaggies. Both in the background and on character models.

Each mansion is broken up into missions, all are replayable. Which provides backtracking, allowing you to use abilities unlocked later in the game to obtain collectibles you previously couldn't. Replayable missions also allow you to grind weapon upgrade levels, making your Poltergeist 5000 increasingly more powerful. There're also golden dog bones and purple gems to collect but I don't know what they're all about just yet.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'm picking this one up today as soon as I get off of work, sounds like its good Magician, thanks for the initial impressions :D

Edit: I just finished the first mission and like what I've played so far, feels like the original and thats a good thing for me. I have noticed on games that are 3D in nature the 3D doesn't really add much. it's mostly games that are 2D that benefit the most. Stuff like Super Mario Land 3D and Ridge Racer 3D don't really benefit from the 3D I've seen. Great game so far! Also if you can, I recommend playing the game with headphones, the music really is top notch ;D

Last edited:

Magician

20 Year Member
I only made it to the first boss last night. Pretty nice little puzzle for a boss fight. Tonight I look forward to finding all of the hidden gems and boos in the first mansion. I'll probably dabble in the second mansion a bit aswell.

chipperkwah

Armored Scrum Object
Glad you guys are enjoying it, I picked it up yesterday and was only able to play the first two missions before sleep seduced me. Seems great, and magician I definitely agree with you about the 3D. Dark Moon looks much closer graphically to the first game when the 3D is turned off, most models looked terrible when it was turned on. I must say that I was really worried about the controls but they seem to work well for the most part.

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I am loving the crap out of this game. Love the puzzles, love the look & love playing a Luigi again. On my XL the game does look really jaggy with the 3D turned on, but I am enjoying it with the 3D turned off.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
I only made it to the first boss last night. Pretty nice little puzzle for a boss fight. Tonight I look forward to finding all of the hidden gems and boos in the first mansion. I'll probably dabble in the second mansion a bit aswell.

From what you have played so far is it as good as the first game or better? In your opinion?

Magician

20 Year Member
From what you have played so far is it as good as the first game or better? In your opinion?

It's too early to say definitively. But I am enjoying it more than the first game. With BioShock Infinite out today and Terraria tomorrow it'll probably be another month before I get back to Dark Moon and post a mini review. But from what little I've played thus far I'd say it's a top-five title for the 3DS.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
It's too early to say definitively. But I am enjoying it more than the first game. With BioShock Infinite out today and Terraria tomorrow it'll probably be another month before I get back to Dark Moon and post a mini review. But from what little I've played thus far I'd say it's a top-five title for the 3DS.

I know what you mean, so many games and so little time?

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
If you like the first one, I think you will love this one. You aren't restricted to one mansion anymore since there are several different areas. There is a mine, clock factory, etc. Only bummer is the ghosts bosses aren't quite as unique as the first games bosses with the new ones looking sort of like the rest of the generic ghost.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I've played a bit and it's pretty good. All the things you expect in a 1st party Nintendo game are there, the checklist if you will, and yet the game feels a little forgettable for me. After the 3rd mission, I turned it off and put Fire Emblem right back, which I've already invested approx. 80 hours in. Any one else feel like Luigi's Mansion is missing a certain...something?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I've played a bit and it's pretty good. All the things you expect in a 1st party Nintendo game are there, the checklist if you will, and yet the game feels a little forgettable for me. After the 3rd mission, I turned it off and put Fire Emblem right back, which I've already invested approx. 80 hours in. Any one else feel like Luigi's Mansion is missing a certain...something?
I can't really see something that is missing, for me this title is great, I know the 3DS isn't a full fledged console and maybe the devs don't put their whole back into these games. But still, I've been playing my 3DS more than any console I own as of late and it rivals my arcade play almost 1:1. My concept that I thought of long ago was a portable system that would possibly have some way to hook up to a tv in some fashion (seeing as wireless HDMI is becoming a reality), the portable console would be the console itself. Play on the go and also at home. What the Wii U is doing is kinda neat and is somewhat what I was looking for. But if what I want is to happen, a company has to have a starting point and for me the 3DS is a great starting point for this idea. Sorry I kinda went off on a tangent, back OT, I love this little gem and have easily gotten my 35 bucks out of it. It's not the big brother sequel I'm sure a lot of people wanted but for the fact it's a portable title on a system that offers so much right now.....It's BOSS :D

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I can't really see something that is missing, for me this title is great, I know the 3DS isn't a full fledged console and maybe the devs don't put their whole back into these games. But still, I've been playing my 3DS more than any console I own as of late and it rivals my arcade play almost 1:1. My concept that I thought of long ago was a portable system that would possibly have some way to hook up to a tv in some fashion (seeing as wireless HDMI is becoming a reality), the portable console would be the console itself. Play on the go and also at home. What the Wii U is doing is kinda neat and is somewhat what I was looking for. But if what I want is to happen, a company has to have a starting point and for me the 3DS is a great starting point for this idea. Sorry I kinda went off on a tangent, back OT, I love this little gem and have easily gotten my 35 bucks out of it. It's not the big brother sequel I'm sure a lot of people wanted but for the fact it's a portable title on a system that offers so much right now.....It's BOSS :D

I completely agree about portable gaming. The 3DS gets the most play out of anything I have as there are so many fantastic games for it, I kind of just can't be bothered to turn on the consoles much anymore. I've found that there have been some big name games recently that haven't delivered, but the 3DS feels like solid game after solid game is coming out for it and consistently delivers.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
I'll be picking this up for the kids(honestly :-P ) today. Looking forward to it...

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member

Despite having a massive backlog of 3DS games to play through, I couldn't resist and picked this up the other day. I've only played through the first couple of ghost encounters, but this game is oozing charm. My only gripe is the somewhat awkward controls...they aren't bad by any means, but will take a little getting used to. I only played the game a few minutes, but am sure it will become second nature soon.

I have high hopes for this game...but I am kind of putting it on hold for awhile. I owe it to myself to finish castlevania first - I just wrapped up act 2 last night.