Looks like Youtube is testing out blocking ad blockers on PC browsers.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Using Chrome on a PC, I just want to watch a vid by MVG and about 3 seconds in, it stopped and I got a popup saying Youtube does not allow adblockers and to either disable, or try youtube premium.

I didn't get a screenshot of it, and now its not popping up on other vids.

Anyone else seen this shit?

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Since I'm retraded I already pay for youtube premium but lol killing adblockers has been Google's wet dream for a long time now. Fuck em

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Ive got a premium account as well, but I did that whole thing where you sign up via VPN in like Argentina or whatever, and you can get YT premium for like $4 a month. Im not paying $15 a month to watch stuff like Gamesack or meme videos. Thats just stupid.

I use the premium account on my phone and my FireTV and Shield, but on my PC I have an adblocker and don't use that account because I don't really need to.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I thought I was crazy. I clicked on a video 10 mins ago and got an ad even though I had my adblocker on.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Just got another one on a separate video:

1691448063145.png

That is some high quality bullshit.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I thought I was crazy. I clicked on a video 10 mins ago and got an ad even though I had my adblocker on.
Well, Im not getting ads themselves, just that pop up. I can close it and proceed as normal, but that's just some stupid shit Google is pulling.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I've never even used ad blockers. I guess I just accept ads are the price of something being free. Once every 5 or 6 videos, I have to wait 5 seconds. Big whoop.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Many commercials you can skip after 5 seconds. For free I'm not complaining.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The ad blocker I used stopped working about a year ago and I just learned to live with them. Most worthwhile channels have minimal ads anyways.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I've never even used ad blockers. I guess I just accept ads are the price of something being free. Once every 5 or 6 videos, I have to wait 5 seconds. Big whoop.
First Cobra Commander
then that other thing
now this

Wild. I, too, really have never felt too bothered by commercials or ads. Like you said, it's free, I'm not going to complain.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I can't imagine youtube without adblocker. I really don't know if I could handle it.

Same, I just don't/wont stand for ads. I had a TiVo or ReplayTV for most of the early 00s. The TiVo was meh, but the ReplayTV was great because it could usually catch a commercial break on a recorded show and auto skip it. It was glorious. They even got into some lawsuits from (I dunno, people who make commercials or whatever) and had to fight to keep the ability available on the ReplayTV boxes.

Then when streaming became a bigger thing I really liked the lack of ads. Hell even Hulu - when we used to have premium, those stupid little bumpers at the beginning that advertise the show you just started watching would annoy the shit out of me. DUDE Im already watching The Golden Girls, you dont need to tell me to watch the Golden Girls. Piss off w that.

Adblock is such a simple tool to install in your browser and even is available for shit browsers like Edge. I've got PiHole running on my network and that murders tons of popups and ads on pages. Its such utterly minimal work to remove ads from my internet/TV its laughable to not do it.

The 'worthwhile channels' will usually also forego forced Youtube ads to just have a section where they mention their sponsor of the week, which is also thankfully just skippable by clicking forward a couple times.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This nonsense did drive me to buy youtube subscription for my phone. No Ads and I can use the app in the background.
It's fucking annoying that Im willing to pay for it, but youtube is like my podcasts.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Same, I just don't/wont stand for ads. I had a TiVo or ReplayTV for most of the early 00s. The TiVo was meh, but the ReplayTV was great because it could usually catch a commercial break on a recorded show and auto skip it. It was glorious. They even got into some lawsuits from (I dunno, people who make commercials or whatever) and had to fight to keep the ability available on the ReplayTV boxes.

Then when streaming became a bigger thing I really liked the lack of ads. Hell even Hulu - when we used to have premium, those stupid little bumpers at the beginning that advertise the show you just started watching would annoy the shit out of me. DUDE Im already watching The Golden Girls, you dont need to tell me to watch the Golden Girls. Piss off w that.

Adblock is such a simple tool to install in your browser and even is available for shit browsers like Edge. I've got PiHole running on my network and that murders tons of popups and ads on pages. Its such utterly minimal work to remove ads from my internet/TV its laughable to not do it.

The 'worthwhile channels' will usually also forego forced Youtube ads to just have a section where they mention their sponsor of the week, which is also thankfully just skippable by clicking forward a couple times.
Do people still record TV shows, like Tivo?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah, I think cable boxes have built-in hard drives now with TiVo-esque functionality. God only knows who uses them though. Boomers aren't tech savvy enough to use them and younger people just have streaming.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Haven't seen it, will be on the look out. If i remember, I'll write down a mitigation.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, I think cable boxes have built-in hard drives now with TiVo-esque functionality. God only knows who uses them though. Boomers aren't tech savvy enough to use them and younger people just have streaming.

My parents actually use their DVR with their cable setup, and they’re both actual baby boomers. I assume they’re the exception and anyway my mother barely knows how to use it.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
The ad blocker I used stopped working about a year ago and I just learned to live with them. Most worthwhile channels have minimal ads anyways.
Same. It is exceptionally jarring in some circumstances though, for instance I stopped using YouTube for music playlists at that point. Maybe I was the only one using YouTube for music playlists anyway.