Looking to buy a new monitor

Shingo Hibiki

Benimaru's Hairdresser
I really am clueless when it comes to monitors. I've been using the same Compaq CRT for the last nine years now and I have finally have decided to get something better. Mainly looking for a widescreen flat panel. Are there any particular brands that stand out, or ones I should stay away from? I'd like to keep the price under $250, but I'll go up to $300 if it really seems worth it.

So, any suggestions?

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I just got a 20.1 inch widescreen LCD from Newegg, made by Sceptre. This is my second Sceptre LCD and both have been awesome. If you can get past the stand being a little shoddy, it's a great deal at $199 after mail-in rebate. It has a very high contrast ratio, good brightness and a low response time, plus VGA and DVI inputs.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I don't understand why people pay so much for LCD's when CRT's can be had for $50 on Craigslist.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I'm also thinking of replacing my 17'' 4:3 LCD by a 19-22'' panoramic one... And I'd like it to have built-in speakers. I might want it to connect a 360 or wii when/if I buy one. Any suggestions?

Is it worth it to have it with a TV tuner? Then it would also have a scart connection.

Shingo Hibiki

Benimaru's Hairdresser
norton9478 said:
I don't understand why people pay so much for LCD's when CRT's can be had for $50 on Craigslist.

Because this monster CRT is hogging up quite a bit of my desk space and I'd like something a little nicer. I saw one I liked at Fry's Electronics last week and was going to pick it up, but of course, they were out of that particular one. I figured that's a good thing since I really should do some research on buying something like this.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
newegg is crap....

go to pricewatch....

i recently got an eizo for 100 bucks, and there were some dell used for a good price....

are you looking for LCD or CRT?

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
jeff bogard said:
are you looking for LCD or CRT?

Shingo Hibiki said:
Because this monster CRT is hogging up quite a bit of my desk space and I'd like something a little nicer. I saw one I liked at Fry's Electronics last week and was going to pick it up, but of course, they were out of that particular one. I figured that's a good thing since I really should do some research on buying something like this.

;)

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
I've been eyeing this sucker lately...

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4335

I've seen some deals to get it for $500 shipped. Mainly interested in it for the s-video & component inputs, 24" screen and pivot.... nice little easy TATE setup on your consoles if you're into vert shmups. Plus it's a little more stylish than having a standard TV/CRT laying on it's side. However, stuff might looked stretched out...

Here's what one looks like "TATE"-ed... :drool:

116894_19-24-port.jpg

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:

Aye,

Besides, lcd/tft/whatever screens are crap for gaming.

skam

Super Spy Agent
StealthLurker said:
I've been eyeing this sucker lately...

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4335

I've seen some deals to get it for $500 shipped. Mainly interested in it for the s-video & component inputs, 24" screen and pivot.... nice little easy TATE setup on your consoles if you're into vert shmups. Plus it's a little more stylish than having a standard TV/CRT laying on it's side. However, stuff might looked stretched out...

ffs, that thing costs $1000 over here and they want almost $3000 for the 30". cunts.

I <3 my Samsung 204b anyway, it's not widescreen but I'd rather have the extra horizontal resolution for the money.