Looking into getting a consolized MVS. I have a few questions.

I'm thinking of getting a consolized MVS, but instead of a TV, I use a computer monitor as my primary display. The only input I have on my monitor is HDMI and I don't want to have to get something like a FrameMeister to upscale the image separately. If I got a consolized MVS with HDMI would it display correctly on my monitor?

I also found out about a store called Neotropolis that said they could make a consolized MVS with HDMI for me. Has anyone here ever dealt with them and know if they're a good company? Their Ebay store has 100% positive feedback out of around 2500 sales, but I thought it would be a good idea to do some research on them before buying anything from them.

Sorry if this is the wrong board to ask; I wasn't sure where post my questions.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'd stay far, far away from any current CMVS that has HDMI output. Nobody has made anything like the HDMINES kits for Neo yet, so they are likely using a cheap chinese RGB to HDMI converter shoved into the shell, and the results on those are pretty terrible. Your best bet right now is to get one with RGB out and use a Framemeister. Or, wait for the community to come up with a better solution, there was a guy who was working on it a while back but I don't think he ever finished the project.

I'll let other people speak on Neotropolis, but the short version is stay away unless you hate your money.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Yeah, if you're using a computer monitor you might as well emulate and add scanlines that way.
See if you can track down a decent CRT that does 480i component (K series trinitron) and get a CMVS that does RGB , then get a $40 scart to component converter box off ebay.

Spending all this money to use a computer monitor just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Now if you want to hook up to a big flat TV, then you should get a framemeister because all other consoles are going to benefit as well downstream.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Neotropolis is a lot like monster cables. If you love spending money just to say you spent money, then go for it. If you want the same functionality for less, you've got tons of options.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Oh kennyboy. If you want a ready made solution JNX and Arcadeworks omega are the only way to go.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Like everyone else has already touched upon. I would contact JNX and hunt down a Sony Trinitron CRT for some good Neo Geo goodness. You should be able to find a CRT for cheap or even free. Also, the lag on the monitor will not make you happy.

GAMEFAN

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Neotropolis is a lot like monster cables. If you love spending money just to say you spent money, then go for it. If you want the same functionality for less, you've got tons of options.

tons of options? with hdmi support? Not quite.

If you want a non-hdmi way, there's quite a few. if you want HDMI, then there's only a select few people who can do it.

Well I technically do have a CRT TV, but it's a secondary TV in my bedroom that I can't easily access. It's not really feasible to move it into the living room where my main setup is. Using HDMI somehow is really the only option that's practical.

The monitor I use has a 1 millisecond response time. Shouldn't that negate the lag at least somewhat?

I also heard somewhere called Jamma Nation X might be able to give me some advice for what I need and how doable it would be to make it. Do they still do custom mods?

tons of options? with hdmi support? Not quite.

If you want a non-hdmi way, there's quite a few. if you want HDMI, then there's only a select few people who can do it.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
O.K. so doing some research on Neotropolis, it seems like they do good work, but are more expensive than they should be. However, they also seem to be the only place that sells HDMI MVS. I tried contacting Jamma Nation X, but I'm not sure whether the email went through. Do they still make custom MVS?

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
O.K. so doing some research on Neotropolis, it seems like they do good work, but are more expensive than they should be. However, they also seem to be the only place that sells HDMI MVS. I tried contacting Jamma Nation X, but I'm not sure whether the email went through. Do they still make custom MVS?

As explained before, an HDMI CMVS will not offer the quality you expect. If you must have HDMI output, then get a regular CMVS with RGB output and connect it to a Framemeister. Or if you have the space, get a Sony PVM monitor for RGB, you will not regret it. Jamma-Nation-X can be contacted in these forums, user is Xian Xi.

Regards.

As explained before, an HDMI CMVS will not offer the quality you expect. If you must have HDMI output, then get a regular CMVS with RGB output and connect it to a Framemeister. Or if you have the space, get a Sony PVM monitor for RGB, you will not regret it. Jamma-Nation-X can be contacted in these forums, user is Xian Xi.

Regards.

Is there some way I can send him a PM? I can't find where to do so, but I don't want to just go into a thread and start randomly asking about buying a CMVS.

Last edited:

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
If you wait a little, people have started getting their NeoVGA kits and hopefully can soon post results. Until then, you can have a look at the results in my FAQ thread, and that'll be an option for the next best things (VGA and Component).

MuppeT

War Room Troll
or you could do the smart thing and buy a supergun. if you decide to do that and JNX is still not taking orders - msg me as I have an extra one from Jamma Nation that just sits at home and it is a blasphemy not to get the love it deserves.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
As a self-contained console, or just a part?

picture the supergun as an nes. and the arcade boards as the carts.

the sg is essentially a console for arcade games to be played on a tv.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
A "SuperGun" is more or less an "arcade adapter" - it lets you plug in a television, power supply, and game controller to an arcade PCB.

If only there were other threads here or anywhere on the Internet where he could use a SEARCH. FUNCTION. to find out more.

madman

I found this video and was wondering how this was achieved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3O669-y938

The video title says this MVS is using HDMI, the quality looks good and there doesn't appear to be any input lag. This is exactly what I want. The uploader says he got it from JNX; do they still make them?

There is currently NO lagless solution for upscaling the Neo Geo. Just because one guy who plays Neo stretched out to 16:9 and uploaded a video to YouTube doesn't make it so.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
There is currently NO lagless solution for upscaling the Neo Geo. Just because one guy who plays Neo stretched out to 16:9 and uploaded a video to YouTube doesn't make it so.

also playing a boot. you forgot to mention he is also playing a boot stretched to 16:9.

madman

also playing a boot. you forgot to mention he is also playing a boot stretched to 16:9.

I saw that after I posted. I don't know why this guy keeps asking us for help, it's clear he's set on an HDMI CMVS and regardless of what we say he doesn't want to listen. He should go buy a Neotropolis REI HDMI OMG CMVS and call it a day.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I'd stay far, far away from any current CMVS that has HDMI output. Nobody has made anything like the HDMINES kits for Neo yet, so they are likely using a cheap chinese RGB to HDMI converter shoved into the shell, and the results on those are pretty terrible. Your best bet right now is to get one with RGB out and use a Framemeister. Or, wait for the community to come up with a better solution, there was a guy who was working on it a while back but I don't think he ever finished the project.

I'll let other people speak on Neotropolis, but the short version is stay away unless you hate your money.

Re-read this post digisamurai.