Londoners: Where are Neo Stores?

Gazado

Overtop Pathfinder
Hi,
Im going to London on Friday to see Pitchshifter , Im not too confident with the underground so want to know if there are any NeoGeo game stores or decent game stores in general around where the Astoria is ? A lot of big stores are there but Im yet to find a decent video game store so.... can any Londoners help me out ?

Ive only been there are a few times so dont know really where Im headded. Would be nice to find some obscure games store tucked away somewhere full of classic games :D

ShiWarrior

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Whilst I was in London, there are a few. but there not specifically NEO GEO

They are RETRO stores..

i havent been for ages, last time i went was before i was into NG.

theres a website some where, i'll see if i can find it

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Gazado said:
Ive only been there are a few times so dont know really where Im headded. Would be nice to find some obscure games store tucked away somewhere full of classic games :D

Ditto!!!

I was in London a few months back. I checked out Cex which was ok, but I was kinda hoping for a huge basement filled to the brim with goodies.

They did have a bit of AES stuff, and the guys at the desk were playing SVC Chaos (maybe it was some of you guys???).

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
london

There are 2 shops very near to the Astoria,CEX on Rathbone place and gamefocus on Goodge St...both within 5 mins of the Astoria and both do NeoGeo games....gamefocus also has a candycab set up with KOF2003 on...
the Astoria is next to Tottenham Court Rd tube in case you did not know.....

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
i saw Pitchshifter with Bad Religion in 2002, they were great , especially as support for such a strong headliner.

Phix

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Game stores in london

While we are on the subject of game stores in london any 1 know what happened to advance consoles / ace they used to be just of carnaby street ?
Cheers Garry

Gazado

Overtop Pathfinder
Thats great.

Ive been to the Astoria before for quite a few concerts, just havnt got there early enough in the day before to look around for game stores. Only looked in the huge Virgin store for music and a few other smaller stores around those parts.

I'll have to keep an eye out for CEX. Anyone use Mapquest.co.uk ? if so can someone point out on there where CEX and Gamefocus is for a tourist like me from Thanet to easily find where the places are? That would be much-appreciated :D

Thanks for the info anyway lads :)

Ill6

Marked Wolf
It had SVC running the other day.

They only had about 3 games though as I recall.

Theres also a shop in Croyden (X Electrical) - train journey though.

Generally speaking the internet is much better.

thegreathopper said:
There are 2 shops very near to the Astoria,CEX on Rathbone place and gamefocus on Goodge St...both within 5 mins of the Astoria and both do NeoGeo games....gamefocus also has a candycab set up with KOF2003 on...
the Astoria is next to Tottenham Court Rd tube in case you did not know.....

rhamaaa

n00b
apart from the stores already mentioned there is also Raven Games, which although not strictly in London is a doddle to get to from Croydon/Waterloo area. check out www.ravengames.co.uk

having said that, I never buy Neo stuff from these guys, especially the scum at X Electrical in Croydon. There are retail margins then there's justification for cutting out the middleman you know?... A lot of UK importers just don't deserve to be in work, the amount they take the piss out of honest buyers.

it's overseas/eBay all the way for me

Gazado

Overtop Pathfinder
I probably wont be buying anything but it'll be nice to physically see some of the games instead of always looking at photographs ;)

Im happy to go to CEX and Gamefocus, my mate found them and they are right near the Astoria. Just hope they dont close before 5:00 , otherwise I wont be checking either of the stores out :)

Anyway again, thanks for the info there :D

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
Gazado said:
Thats great.

Ive been to the Astoria before for quite a few concerts, just havnt got there early enough in the day before to look around for game stores. Only looked in the huge Virgin store for music and a few other smaller stores around those parts.

I'll have to keep an eye out for CEX. Anyone use Mapquest.co.uk ? if so can someone point out on there where CEX and Gamefocus is for a tourist like me from Thanet to easily find where the places are? That would be much-appreciated :D

Thanks for the info anyway lads :)

Gazdo, for CEX, if you head down Oxford street from Virgin Megastores, heading away from New Oxford Street and Tottenham Cout Road, after about 2 minutes on the right theres a street called Rathbone Place. Walk down there, on the left theres a post office. Just a bit further down is CEX.

From CEX for gamefocus, carry on down rathbone place. At the end of the road, it will fork left and right, head down the left way until u hit a cross roads with traffic lights. Looking up and ahead u will see the BT tower. At the cross roads turn right and a few shops down is game focus.

gameshopmap.gif

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
CEX has a few games downstairs. Nothing to write home about.

Gamefocus had like 2 games last time i was there, but does have a cab running svc chaos (or the last time i went)

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
focus

They have about 6 aes games now and some neogeo cd...their candy cab is now running KOF2K3...I was there yesterday....

Mawdsley said:
CEX has a few games downstairs. Nothing to write home about.

Gamefocus had like 2 games last time i was there, but does have a cab running svc chaos (or the last time i went)

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
Cool. I make a point of visiting the two shops when im in london though. Still cool to go to.

Also, for those into comics and movie memorabilia, London's Forbidden Planet is also not too far from the astoria. Kind of in the opposite direction to the game shops though.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
When I went to cex in May, they had SVC, loads of NeoCD, Blazing Star AES a few KOFs and some loose carts/ crap AES games.

Not bad really, considering that with their prices demand must be zero.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Pitchshifter still around? like them alot. how about the wildhearts? is ginger still doing his own thing or what? and have paradise lost gone back to their roots? brittish rock... rocks.

Gazado

Overtop Pathfinder
I'll print off the map - its the same as the one my mate got me, but thats got the stores marked off.

Pitchshifter are great. Loved them ever since I heard of them. Its their last "ever" gig apparently because they arnt releasing another album. They've got their own record label now and dont need to release any more albums for money... gotta get their DVD as its the last thing they are releasing.
My fave album by far is Pitchshifter.com .

Aaaaaaaaanyway back on topic, I'll check the games out, maybe they will have a cheap scart lead tucked away. If everyone can now jump over to the londoners tourney thread and show some interest there (if you live in or around london ;) ) , that'd be mucho-appreciated ;)

Thanks again lads, your a great group of people ! :D

SNZero

Mr. Big's Thug
Plisken said:
i saw Pitchshifter with Bad Religion in 2002, they were great , especially as support for such a strong headliner.

I saw them too! ROCKED!
(well same line up different gig, me being up north n all)

Pitchshifter were real good but nothin on Bad Religion :buttrock:

Last edited:

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
Did you go to CEX and gamefocus? Find em ok? What did u think?

Gazado

Overtop Pathfinder
I went to both , twice, to see what they had.

Both stores were great and I wish there were places like this more closer to home in Thanet.

Im saving up a load of money to go on a spending spree in London with my girlfriend so I'll be going to these two stores to spend some money. Was nice to see the cab downstairs in gamefocus :)

Prices were a little high in both stores but then if you pay over the counter instead of on the net, you'd expect to pay a little more anyway.
AES-wise there wasnt anything Id want to get, but generaly speaking there was loads of other games Id want for other consoles. Final Fight CD for mega-CD was the main thing that caught my eye, sadly I have an English multi-mega (CDx in US) , so it wont play import CD games. So much stuff to try and rememeber but Im definatly going back when Ive saved up a bit of money.

Thanks for the pointers, seeing all those loverly games made me go crazy, didnt know where to begin looking, what console to start with - ended up not having time, had half hour in each store before lining up at Astoria for the Pitchshifter concert (they were great, support was pants).