Little Elf 310 in 1 Jamma in Custom Jamma Cab -5 neg question

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
Hi again all!!
I just got a little elf 310 in 1 jamma, which I plan to put in my custom built cab which housed an MVS1 slot (I believe it was the MVS 1C if I remember correctly), the MVS1 slot I consolized and thus wanted something to fill up the cab, and the little elf sounded fair enough, lots of more neo geo titles for me + some other cool retro arcade hits.

The custom cab was wired for the MVS 1C (again ill double check but doesnt make much of a difference anyways)
At first I was getting a bad picture (lots of flickering, though it was something from the SYNC, but turned out I had to turn some pots and voila (hamass or what they are called screen), now my 2nd problem turned up, I cannot select anything, picture is fine, also is sound, but the joysticks are not moving, connecting a friends MVS 2 slot (not consolized in anyway and the controls respond fine) but with the little elf the cursor does not move, I noticed some slight different wiring, so maybe this cab is not 100% jamma but was tailor made for 4 button MVS only?)

http://hardmvs.com/manuals/Jamma2NeoGeo4SlotPinout.pdf

I do not have pin E and 5 (Neg 5 Volts on my jamma harness) could this be the culprit for joysticks and buttons not working?
(Might be a stupid question but I dont understand a thing about electronics, voltage and this stuff :P)

Thanks in advance, I can post picture and trace any wiring if needed to clarify some things up!

Thanks in Advance!

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
The ELF boards are notorious for not being pinned out to jamma spec. They send button 6 over pin 27 and don't have ground connected on pinn28 at all.

You will need a blue elf adapter if this is the case. You can get them from paradise arcade.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Are these the same as the Blue Elf? I had the first version of one of those and it was horrible. Glitches all over, some games (especially the CPS3 ones) played like slide-shows, and it never wanted to play nice with my system. I ended up having to sell it for about half of what I paid. I have heard there are newer version that fixes some of it but I am not willing to risk it again.

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
The ELF boards are notorious for not being pinned out to jamma spec. They send button 6 over pin 27 and don't have ground connected on pinn28 at all.

You will need a blue elf adapter if this is the case. You can get them from paradise arcade.

Thanks for the heads up, i`m gonna check if removing the last 2 pins will work, as this way might ground all tje joysticks buttons? This cab will be dedicated with the little blu elf in it, so instead of going for the harness adaptor, will just solder the required pinouts. And will leave it 4 button, phuck the CPS games for now :/ All I do is play with my snes, aes and mvs, this is just to give the monnitor some work lol :)

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective

I will check once I play something and let you know :) well all those games crammed in one board I don`t expect them to be 100%, even sound quality loss etc, but I heard this new revised version is really reliable, it was cheap off ebay, and I took the risk, will let you know soon!

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
You have to insert a coin to select a game.

Hey Xian Xi whats up? always saving the day xD tbh I though about that, cos in the "little manual supplied" it was over specified to insert coin about 3 times, only problem is I need to wire up button for the "coin" mechanism as this is currently set to execpt old coins which we dont have anymore in Malta lol we changed to euros some years ago -_-... will let ya know! and thanks for the advice :)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You can always just leave the coin door open and flip the switch a couple times.

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
You can always just leave the coin door open and flip the switch a couple times.

lol damn didnt think of that, too late, drilled a small hole on the coin door, nice purple arcade button and wired up the coin + gnd to it :)
as for the controls now work perfectly, removed the ground from PINS e(or sometimes written as ee and pin 27) which on this bluelf are Button no.6 for P1 and P2 and works like a charm.

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
Are these the same as the Blue Elf? I had the first version of one of those and it was horrible. Glitches all over, some games (especially the CPS3 ones) played like slide-shows, and it never wanted to play nice with my system. I ended up having to sell it for about half of what I paid. I have heard there are newer version that fixes some of it but I am not willing to risk it again.

This isnt that bad, tried a bit MetalSlug 2, Sengoku, Top Hunter all work nicely with barely noticable slowdowns when lots of sprites and things happening on screen (since I played them my entire life I can compare to the original)
On the other hand shadow warriors (used to spend hours on it on my Amiga 500 back in the days) has glitchy sound, i.e. music glitches which sound effects and golden axe is slower than running on a nokia`s 3310 processor -_-`, tried around 5 - 6 more games and otherwise all fine so far :) hope the great titles i`m lookin forward to play work well (mostly CPS2 and 3 and some old classic titles like ghost n ghosts, rastan saga etc for old times sake xD) still I this 2nd hand off ebay and for 75 euros shipped I think it is well worth the money!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
All the worthwhile games or most of them have screen tearing or horrible lag. I do like that it auto tate's the verts.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Even if it's revised from the first edition one which I had I would be weary about me personally buying another. Really to me the best thing about it was the physical design of it having a vague resemblance to an MVS/PGM cart. But I have seen a lot of people with it so maybe I was one of the more unlucky ones with the device I had.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I had one of these a year or two ago for about 5 minutes. I remember the CPS2 beat'em ups played pretty good but the fighting games were complete ass. It's a mixed bag really.