Linking Sega Naomi motherboards?

Rob Black

4" Chinaman Slave,
Hi Guys, I have four Sega Naomi based cabinets (each cabinet is a single player setup) By linking all four together together will that allow me to play multi player games together? Do I need four copies of the same game? Is it even possible?

Example: WWF Royal Rumble is 4 players simultaneous, I want each cabinet to be a single player for head to head play. Do I need 4 copies of Royal Rumble? or like Virtual Tennis, I want to play against another player (on another cabinet)

I tried Google searching and couldn't find much, just "The Naomi architecture is very flexible in that a cabinet can have anywhere from 1 to 16 boards. A multi board system would operate in parallel increasing the power of the system"

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
Each naomi needs a copy of the game and a link board. just because it's multiplayer doesn't mean it supports linking. powerstone for example. it's 4 player, using the capcom io with a single machine.

You have to refer to the manual for each game, if it has instruction on linking, then it supports it.

then there is the "multi board / single screen" setup like Strike fighter deluxe. each naomi board renders a 640x480 region and displays it to a separate monitor. it probably requires 3 copy of the game as well.

Dragonlee

Zero's Secretary
Each naomi needs a copy of the game and a link board. just because it's multiplayer doesn't mean it supports linking. powerstone for example. it's 4 player, using the capcom io with a single machine.

You have to refer to the manual for each game, if it has instruction on linking, then it supports it.

then there is the "multi board / single screen" setup like Strike fighter deluxe. each naomi board renders a 640x480 region and displays it to a separate monitor. it probably requires 3 copy of the game as well.
Also you need the Optix fibre cable to link the requirement of a 4 player set up.
http://sega-naomi.com/Iframes/hardware_iframe.htm#linking

Rob Black

4" Chinaman Slave,

Is there a known list of games that support linking??

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I was years ago trying to link my RE Gun survivor 2. I bought the fiber optic and link boards but could never find another cart.

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
I know outrigger for a fact outrigger does. I have the manual in front of me :D

actually I'm short 1 link board, then I'll be able to hook up my 2 complete kits , and make a nice youtube vids ;) low on my project list...

initial d3 also supports linking.

Last edited: