Letterman Retiring in 2015

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
And its official, Stephen Colbert is replacing Letterman in 2015.

Solid choice. When he speaks as not even the character, he is always on point and maintains that approachable level of humor that he always brings. Can't blame them for passing by Craig, I just hope they can keep him around.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/04/10/stephen-colbert-letterman/

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I'm pretty excited about Colbert. Even without his usual satire, I'm sure he'll be a great replacement for Letterman.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
And its official, Stephen Colbert is replacing Letterman in 2015.

Solid choice. When he speaks as not even the character, he is always on point and maintains that approachable level of humor that he always brings. Can't blame them for passing by Craig, I just hope they can keep him around.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/04/10/stephen-colbert-letterman/

here's hoping the character isn't hosting. The person is just fine.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
It makes more sense than most of the other candidates I guess. As much as I like Louis, I really didn't see him being a fit for CBS's late night spot.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I would have liked Norm MacDonald, if only he was a better interviewer and had one single ounce of personal or professional ambition. He had a video podcast, and if not for the fact he's too lazy to keep up with it, it's pretty good. He's funny, can be completely scathing and is not afraid of making a guest, the audience and even himself very uncomfortable. And he's generally apolitical, which makes him good for a late night show.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I would have liked Norm MacDonald, if only he was a better interviewer and had one single ounce of personal or professional ambition. He had a video podcast, and if not for the fact he's too lazy to keep up with it, it's pretty good. He's funny, can be completely scathing and is not afraid of making a guest, the audience and even himself very uncomfortable. And he's generally apolitical, which makes him good for a late night show.

I agree with this. Would be nice to see, but like you said, seems like he has no ambition

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Norm MacDonald is one of my favorite comedians. If he had ambition, he wouldn't be Norm. My favorite story of his is when he talks about getting fired from SNL. Lorne Michaels summons him to his office and explains to Norm that he just isn't funny. Norm's deadpan reply was "that's not good at all, I'm a comedian."

I also like his story about swingers approaching him:

*I'm all for turning this into a Norm MacDonald thread

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
His bit during the Bob Saget roast was fucking brilliant. Norm is one of the handful of truly funny comedians that were on SNL.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Norm MacDonald was too good for SNL, that show is as middle ground as can be and that format just doesn't fit his style.

Also, his sports show should NEVER have been canceled. For the brief time it was on CC, it was their best show.

Louie CK I can't see tearing into someone during an interview the way someone like Colbert would. Just glad it wasn't Stewart because he's been up his own ass after all these years of college kids cheering after everything he says that leans one direction. And Chelsea Handler is just awful.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Craig Kilborn was the only late night host I liked.

I thought he was okay when he kicked off the daily show.
I thought his late night show was usually pretty boring though.
Late night immediately got better when Craig Ferguson got the gig.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Comedians are better when they have that edge/angst/chip on their shoulder, and it's harder to have that when you get to your late 60's like Letterman is now. It's harder to have that angst when it looks like you've become part of the establishment.

Last edited: