Let's talk Silent Hill, or those games you just cant stop going back to.

The Drizzle

Whip's Subordinate
I'm currently reinstalling Silent Hill 2 for PC getting ready for my 4th or 5th play through. I just love this series and keep going back for more. Even though I had to force myself through Homecoming for 360 (it wasn't that bad but still..I got the UFO ending wtf?) and I can't bother with 0rigins, I'm super excited for Shattered Memories for Wii. Since combat has been the weakest point of the series I can't wait to see how this game plays out without it. I personally thought 4 was awesome despite the negativity surrounding the title from basically everyone else on the planet.

Fuuuuck I wish this install would go faster I can't wait. :buttrock:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I loved the four games on the playstations, 1 and 3 were my favourites. Such great, atmospheric horror games.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
We see many movies. Only a select handful really stand out in our minds.

The same can be said for video games.

The original Silent Hill was such for me. Never will forget that 1st time experience with it, how immersed I became with the game and characters. I almost felt like I was Harry.

For me, I can always go back to any of the Street Fighter or World Heroes games. Also, Ken Griffey Jr. for SNES (the first one)... 15+ years later and I still love it.

And of course, Super/Saturn Bomberman FTW with friends and fam. Games that you can play and enjoy thoroughly on a whim at any time are special.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
1 & 2 are two of my favorite games of all-time. 4 has some interesting ideas that could have been executed better. I am not a big fan of 3. Trying to tie 3 into the original game was a lame, cheap pop.

I haven't played any of the games after SH4, because after SH3 and SH4, it was plenty obvious that there was no point to any further installments. They didn't really have anything to say; Konami just wanted to keep cashing in on the name.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
SH2 is a masterpiece.

That Shattered Memories looks like ass. I aint going near that.

Siren - New Translation is well worth a look.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Just downloaded the PS1 original and going to play it in an emu as I've never played any of them. Wonder if it holds up. Might play 2 after, is that on PS2?

The Drizzle

Whip's Subordinate
Just downloaded the PS1 original and going to play it in an emu as I've never played any of them. Wonder if it holds up. Might play 2 after, is that on PS2?

It does hold up, especially with the emu filters that help the graphics a whole bunch. The voicework is hilariously bad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdLrooeI3wU but it's pretty much a staple of the series.

2 is on PS2, XBOX (with bonus chapter where you play as a different character for like 10 minutes and adds nothing to the story except to show you how stupid that character is!!!) and PC. PC being the best looking of the bunch, of course.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
SH1 is still my favorite, SH2 my least. Mostly because SH2 was, for all of its forbidding atmosphere, not particularly scary. It also received a lot of editorial cuts prior to release, and I have to wonder what might have been.

SH4 would have been fantastic, were it not for some really bad game design decisions (particularly the inventory system). It still has one of the best stories out there, though.

The Drizzle

Whip's Subordinate
SH1 is still my favorite, SH2 my least. Mostly because SH2 was, for all of its forbidding atmosphere, not particularly scary. It also received a lot of editorial cuts prior to release, and I have to wonder what might have been.

SH4 would have been fantastic, were it not for some really bad game design decisions (particularly the inventory system). It still has one of the best stories out there, though.

Fuck man, SH2 is the best one! As for 4, the worst game design decision were the belching nurses, what the fuck? Also I loved how you would go into the nightmare world and experience that fucked up shit then he'd wake up in his apartment thinking it was a dream then you'd hear it on the radio and see the ambulances outside the window and stuff. That was really cool.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
The endings in part two made the game for me. I wish they went a little bit harsher on part three, especially with the subway portion (the track pusher).

Part two's bad ending is my most favorite out of the whole entire series.

black_wizardd

Nom-nom-nom 1975, ,
I've been playing through the PC version of SH 2 for the past few months (playing it every now and again). What an absolutely cracking game, laden with atmosphere. Played late at night with the lights off, volume up and completely on your own is one of the most intense horror gaming experiences out there. The cacophony of disturbing sound effects are the backbone of the game's intensity, aswell as the nasty art direction which makes everything look filthy.

The Drizzle

Whip's Subordinate
I've been playing through the PC version of SH 2 for the past few months (playing it every now and again). What an absolutely cracking game, laden with atmosphere. Played late at night with the lights off, volume up and completely on your own is one of the most intense horror gaming experiences out there. The cacophony of disturbing sound effects are the backbone of the game's intensity, aswell as the nasty art direction which makes everything look filthy.

What part are you at?

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
Silent Hill is definitely one of my all-time favorite series. Just the other day I wrapped up Homecoming, and harsh reviews be damned, I actually really enjoyed it. The story is pretty good, and does a bit more than some of the others to shed light on how The Order works. The only thing that really bothered me was the inclusion of more human enemies than demons towards the end. It started feeling a bit more like RE5 than a proper Silent Hill. But regardless of that last hour, it was a very entertaining game.

Silent Hill and Silent Hill 3 are probably my favorites in the series, with 2 right up there in terms of twisted storytelling. One thing that needs to be mentioned is how the incredible music enhances the experience. Akira Yamaoka's soundtrack gives the games as much life ad Yuzo Koshiro's compositions did for Streets of Rage. The scores for the Silent Hill games fit the world like a glove.

After I wrap up Ace Combat V in the next few days, I'll be sure to get a solid playthrough of Silent Hill 2 in.

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Is it just me who always thought they were terrible with clunky gameplay and no atmosphere?

I tried 1 and 2 and they just so bleh and boring, so i never bothered with the rest of the series.

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
Is it just me who always thought they were terrible with clunky gameplay and no atmosphere?

I tried 1 and 2 and they just so bleh and boring, so i never bothered with the rest of the series.

If you played the original back when it was released I'd say you'd be pretty crazy to call it boring and without atmosphere, as I don't think there was a single horror game that even came close to it at the time in terms of atmosphere and suspense.

If you played it later than that there may have been some games that raised the bar a bit, but even still calling Silent Hill a game without atmosphere is pretty hard to take seriously.

agreed,

the gameplay is awful and if you speed it up you won´t even notice the atmosphere.

I have both 1 & 2 and only played then once and never again.

not even bothered to unlock extra stuff.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c

No atmosphere?

Clever troll....

1-3 and origins were a lot of fun.

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
No atmosphere?

Clever troll....

1-3 and origins were a lot of fun.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoyed Origins. While not the best in the series by any means, it certainly had the Silent Hill feel to it, which is really surprising considering never before had a handheld game freaked me out.

It was an enjoyable, bite-sized dose of Silent Hill that really didn't get much appreciation.

black_wizardd

Nom-nom-nom 1975, ,
What part are you at?

I'm at the part with the box that rotates a room when you rotate it. I've yet to figure out what I'm supposed to do to get past that part, but with that said I haven't spent much time trying because I stopped playing after a few mins of fannying about with the box.

All this talk of Silent Hill has left me with an itch to play it but it's too damn bright at the moment.

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
2 is my all time favorite Silent Hill. But 3 had the best soundtrack, hands down. If you guys like Silent Hill 2 a lot, you need to see Jacob's Ladder....that movie really inspired the game...its awesome!!!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
If you guys like Silent Hill 2 a lot, you need to see Jacob's Ladder....that movie really inspired the game...its awesome!!!

Jacob's Ladder inspired SH1.

SH2 is more inspired by Lost Highway.

Even though I don't like SH3, I agree with you that it has a great soundtrack.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Silent Hill 1 is still easily the scariest game ever made IMO. I remember being kind of freaked out by the Resident Evil games (which I still love) but the first time I ever played SH, alone in the middle of the night, I was flat out scared by parts of it. The hospital in the first game was terrifying, those fucking nurse and doctor monsters made the most fucked up sounds. I would have to turn it off and go to bed. Keep in mind I was about 17 at the time and had never been scared by any horror movie/book/game since I started taking interest in the genre at around age six. No game has even come close to being as scary as the first SH game.

I've tried to get into the latest game, Homecoming but I can't for one simple (and easily fixable) reason. You cannot invert the camera controls. I find it almost impossible to play as a result.