Let's talk about kick ass arcade beatemups (don't get confused european members)

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I first started purchasing PCBs to play the games I loved as a kid... mostly beatemups. Captain America, Bucky O'hare, Simpsons - good times.

There are a ton of beatemups - still a living genre on the PGM - talk about which ones you love, which ones you hate, fond memories of 4 player action, and what you miss.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
CPS2 gave us some wonderful beat'em ups

Alien vs. Predator - #1 on my want list and probably the first game i'll purchase when I start to rebuild my arcade collection. This game is GOOD.
Dungeons and Dragons: Tower of Doom
Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow over Mystara

Both the D and D games are a ton of fun, especially with 4 players playing different classes. The way you can choose your route is great.

Some other personal favorites:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time

-This probably will forever remain my favorite beat'em up of all time. It starts out with typical Turtles fair with you fighting the baddies in the streets, then you take it to shreddar and co and then BAM! You're sent back in time (and to the future) in what I always thought were some of the coolest levels ever.

Bury my shell on wounded knee - heh i loved that train level, the prehistoric dino level, the pirate ship was classic. Damn what a fine game.

I always remember being impressed at that move you could do in the game where you grabbed an enemy at threw him at the screen, like he was going to fly out of your televsion. I always thought that was cool. Maybe I was yound and easily amused though.

I've played this game many, many times.

Of courses the simpsons arcade game is a classic (actually played on a nice simpsons cab in Chicago a few years back)

Knights of the Round - i've played the SNES port of this so many times...

And of course who doesn't love the monster that is 6-player Xmen...

Last edited:

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Lets not forget Battle Circuit on CPS2, it's one of my personal favorite beat'em ups. It's got a great great gameplay and a wide veriety of moves.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
I second that Alien vs Predator is a fine beat'em up. Great gameplay, graphics and sound. It is such a treat to 1cc this sucker. This was the 1st CPS2 board that I owned.

I'm still trying to 1cc with with Dutch Schaefer!

Another game that I thought was pretty decent was Denjin Makai 2 Guardians. It had tons of moves and great backdrops.

Will talk more later..

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Alien vs Predator is amazing. Might be the best made, but sometimes there are others I like a hair more. The following list, you cannot go wrong:

Final Fight
SOR 2
Simpsons
X-men
Vendetta (konami was king of beat em ups, as you can see)
Alien vs Predator
Super Double Dragon

This thread make me happy because I am adding Simpsons to my arcade room.

Also, I'd like to add a game that NOBODY will say: Battletoads on NES. This game was and still is a great side scroller. Beat 'em up? I'd say so. It's a hard game to put in a genre.

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
I had a friend who was so obsessed with X-Men and Knights of the Round that he would 1 CC them... (He's really cheap so he would only pay for one game... But he would play it once daily. :P)

As for me, the last side-scrolling beat-em-up I really enjoyed was "Warriors of Fate".

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I didn't see I was posting in Arcade when I made some suggestions. Ignore SOR2 and Super Double Dragon. Battletoads, however, is still an arcade game... not the same one, but still...

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
wtf how the hell did you guys miss Golden axe or Tecmo knight?
(well ok...Tecmo knight aka wild fang is an acquired taste)
heheh

Droid

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Just found a copy of Night Slashers after looking for quite some time for it. I've heard great things about it and can't wait to try it out.

And yes, Tecmo Knight/Wild Fang is a pretty cool, interesting game.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
The Chief said:
Lets not forget Battle Circuit on CPS2, it's one of my personal favorite beat'em ups. It's got a great great gameplay and a wide veriety of moves.

I'm picking up a new cab in the upcoming month and I was torn between Battle Circuit or Alien vs Predator for my first game.

Alien vs Predator I'm fairly familiar with (I know it rocks), but Battle Circuit seems pretty obscure and I haven't heard/read much about it.

Some details and finer points about the game would be nice if you could give them to me.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
good thread

-how about...

-sengoku legends
-gaia crusaders
-pretty soldier sailor moon (no really, its pretty cool!)

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
setharnott said:
-pretty soldier sailor moon (no really, its pretty cool!)

No joke, it's really fun. I wish I could find it today.

I miss my B. Rap Boys PCB, had to sell it for something I didn't plan on. :crying:

Final Fight will always make me grow a big rubbery one.

Went back and played Double Dragon; its virtually unplayable today.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:
Went back and played Double Dragon; its virtually unplayable today.

It's funny you mention that. I was thinking about this thread, and how Double Dragon has aged like SHIT. In the day, a great game. Now? Blah.

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Spike Spiegel said:
It's funny you mention that. I was thinking about this thread, and how Double Dragon has aged like SHIT. In the day, a great game. Now? Blah.

I still love it. If you want some more challenge when you play it, try not to use headbutts or elbows.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The Nes Version is now the only playable DDI game.

Who Knew?

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Average Joe said:
I'm picking up a new cab in the upcoming month and I was torn between Battle Circuit or Alien vs Predator for my first game.

Alien vs Predator I'm fairly familiar with (I know it rocks), but Battle Circuit seems pretty obscure and I haven't heard/read much about it.

Some details and finer points about the game would be nice if you could give them to me.

Don't get me wrong I love AvP but Battle Circuit has some great replay value.

You can do insane combos on multiple baddies at the same time. When you do combos on them coins get knocked out, the better the combo the more coins you'll get. The coins can be spent at the end of each level to buy new super powers/special moves. There is also 5 selectable heroes to pick from, all pretty cool and unique.

I still have an unphoenixed Japanese board so I'm not sure about the actual story in the game but there is a fair amount of of written dialog. Just more reason to get it phoenixed I guess. Hope this helps when making your selection.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The Chief said:

You can do insane combos on multiple baddies at the same time. When you do combos on them coins get knocked out, the better the combo the more coins you'll get. The coins can be spent at the end of each level to buy new super powers/special moves. There is also 5 selectable heroes to pick from, all pretty cool and unique.

I still have an unphoenixed Japanese board so I'm not sure about the actual story in the game but there is a fair amount of of written dialog. Just more reason to get it phoenixed I guess. Hope this helps when making your selection.

I'd never even knew Battle Circuit existed until I read this thread - it looks silly and fun.

How much does a Battle Circuit B-Board cost/typically sell for these days?

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
The Chief said:

Nice, thanks.

I looked for some videos of it but just found a couple on YouTube.

For those who are interested ('duf), it's not much, but here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sfq24ivNbUw
http://youtube.com/watch?v=COTwmgGwTQM&mode=related&search=

Looks weird but fun (I dig the kid on the pink ostrich-thing.)

Lagduf said:
How much does a Battle Circuit B-Board cost/typically sell for these days?

There's a couple on ebay right now and they're going for a little over $100 for just the B Board and $160 for both the A & B Boards (both being sold by the same person.)

Don't know if that's standard or not as I have no perspective on the subject, but it doesn't seem too bad from an outsiders point of view.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
Also, I'd like to add a game that NOBODY will say: Battletoads on NES. This game was and still is a great side scroller. Beat 'em up? I'd say so. It's a hard game to put in a genre.

How about Battletoads the arcade game?

Sharp as hell sprites... no doubt it's in the beatemup genre... aside from the last level (seems unfinished) - isn't dark queen the boss of all the other battletoads games? She's pictured in the game but never appears as an enemy.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
I picked up a Japanese B board with original art set for about $140 all in very nice condition which I thought was a pretty good deal. I've seen them on ebay more though in the last year or so. Also, $100 for a B board isn't a bad price for a game I'd say is uncommon.

It was also the last beat'em up game released for the CPS2 in 1997. There is an English/Euro version of the game but it's very rare as it only saw limited release. It's wacky theme was deffinatly targeted at the Japanese thus the readily available green boards.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
droid said:
wtf how the hell did you guys miss Golden axe or Tecmo knight?
...in that case, I'll also mention the righteous sequel to Golden Axe, Revenge of Death Adder. More cool monsters to ride, choice of path, and sweet animations for some magic when used against human enemies.
:buttrock:

LARGE KRO

n00b
Upps, never tried BATTLE CIRCUIT, so the game has great combo possibility, it sounds much more interesting that I thought, nice :)

Also cool to see much love for AvP, definitely a master piece from the great era with the all the other Capcom CPS1 classics.

On my side I am still waiting for a ARMORED WARRIORS B board to arrive (might still be in transit). This game offers so much gameplay possibilities since you can customize your mech's weapons in so many way. If you don't know it yet, just give it a try, this is pure madness ;)

Other ones I really love are Golden Axe and Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder, the KOV serie (did not try the Seven Spirits), Road Of The Sword (surely my favorite even if I used to only love the soft realisation at first, it has a great gameplay you have to exercise for a moment to apprciate fully and multiply your combos), Undercover Cops JP version (superb atmosphere and realisation but the gameplay shoud have been a little more smooth). Also love the BARE KNUCKLE serie on the genesis

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
never forget the Combat Tribes.

It's great... I belive that it was modeled after the Warriors.

The most playable technos beat em up arcade game.