Last Blade 3

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
Have you seen this last one registered an account in here just to back this project ?
We're getting there.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
We have 6 backers.

The odds of this game being made because people back it on this forum are about the same as likes on Facebook posts curing cancer.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It's not the number of backers, but rather the amount they are willing to back. If only the 6 backers were those who paid for English Aero Fighters 3, and the pledges were the amount they paid, for example. XD

Last edited:

spoonz

Quiz Detective
If they did make it traditional 2d sprites wouldn't cut it anymore. I think Guilty Gear Xrd has set the standard for what "anime style" games should look like going forward. Just imagine Last Blade characters looking as good as the Guilty Gear ones look now. I triple dipped on KOF13 and would do it in a heartbeat for LB3.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
If they did make it traditional 2d sprites wouldn't cut it anymore. I think Guilty Gear Xrd has set the standard for what "anime style" games should look like going forward. Just imagine Last Blade characters looking as good as the Guilty Gear ones look now. I triple dipped on KOF13 and would do it in a heartbeat for LB3.

This is an interesting idea, but SNK should do what they are good at, and that's 2D.

spoonz

Quiz Detective
This is an interesting idea, but SNK should do what they are good at, and that's 2D.

The problem with this is that it's not feasible to do sprites anymore. It takes way too long to get one character done using the traditional 2d methods, they can still get the 2d look using a 3d engine. It's also noteworthy that they already created 3d models for KOFXIII and then drew over them to get the finished sprites, theoretically they would just have to get the skins and shaders.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
The problem with this is that it's not feasible to do sprites anymore. It takes way too long to get one character done using the traditional 2d methods, they can still get the 2d look using a 3d engine. It's also noteworthy that they already created 3d models for KOFXIII and then drew over them to get the finished sprites, theoretically they would just have to get the skins and shaders.

As much as I love the 2d sprites, SNK isn't the juggernaut it used to be in the 90s. They have much less money than in the 90s. But if the "sudo 2d" is the only way, I'm fine with it.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member

Why on earth isn't it feasible to do sprites? A ton of indie fighting games now are coming out and have great sprite-work. 3D is quite a bit more complicated, frankly.

Source on the 3D thing: I'm a Motion Capture TD.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Why on earth isn't it feasible to do sprites? A ton of indie fighting games now are coming out and have great sprite-work. 3D is quite a bit more complicated, frankly.

Sprites are very time consuming and is hard to make every frame of animation with sprites. With 3d models you only need the single model and you can munipulate it in any way.

spoonz

Quiz Detective

It's not feasible because of the time it takes to create a character using the method they used during KOFXII/XIII's development. Indie fighting games aren't doing sprite work at the level of KOF

In an interview with Fighters Front Line, Kukino replies that each character took 16~17 months to complete with a team of 10 different designers. Additionally, the sprites were personally checked by Nona for quality. Due to the time demands of drawing such detailed frames of animation, as well as the decision not to incorporate older assets as previous games in the series have, there will be only 20 playable characters, the lowest number ever in a game from this series.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Sprites are very time consuming and is hard to make every frame of animation with sprites. With 3d models you only need the single model and you can munipulate it in any way.

I mean, again, I get the whole "3D model does whatever I want it to" but it really isn't that simple in actual practice. That's just not how things work; when you take in to account the rigging and animation of every possible thing a character does, it can take just as much if not more time to do it in 3D than in 2D. I'm speaking from a place of experience here. Is it easier to add new costumes to a finalized character, or make tweaks? Sure, you don't have to re-draw every frame.

I also don't really think the method that KOFXII / XIII used seems economical; rotoscoping 2D on 3D? Christ. My problem is that this was said:

The problem with this is that it's not feasible to do sprites anymore. It takes way too long to get one character done using the traditional 2d methods

Which just isn't true. Rotoscoping 2D on 3D is definitely not the "traditional" method, unless we're talking about early Disney films.

Darknb

n00b
I mean, again, I get the whole "3D model does whatever I want it to" but it really isn't that simple in actual practice. That's just not how things work; when you take in to account the rigging and animation of every possible thing a character does, it can take just as much if not more time to do it in 3D than in 2D. I'm speaking from a place of experience here. Is it easier to add new costumes to a finalized character, or make tweaks? Sure, you don't have to re-draw every frame.

I also don't really think the method that KOFXII / XIII used seems economical; rotoscoping 2D on 3D? Christ. My problem is that this was said:

Which just isn't true. Rotoscoping 2D on 3D is definitely not the "traditional" method, unless we're talking about early Disney films.

Prerendering sprites has been done for along time especially with large sprites: look at the slow descent of Cave's Shmup sprites. 2d hit a major decline with hi res and now hd resolutions. Why would so many company choose the 3d route if it weren't economical?

Lb3 - yes for $3, on my tablet, with blown up sprite rips from the originals... As a rhythm game, Thanks.

Last edited: