Blaine

Hinako's Cook
Both can be downloaded from:

lastblade2insert.jpg
asi
lastblade2manual1.jpg

Last Blade 2 Insert
Last Blade 2 Manual

Basic directions are included in the .pdf itself (again, those comments will not print).

Artwork that isn't screenshots or charater art is vector. In case you don't know what that means or you don't care, I'll break it down quickly:

Essentially, that means that you can make 100% professional quality prints. And that is, by no means, an exageration. My good buddy Briggs gave me a couple shock boxes with some of my inserts in them (League Bowling and Puzzle Bobble) and they were beautiful. Particularly if you compare them with inserts made from scanned art.

The main reason is because vector artwork is resolution independant and specifically designed for print work. The reason not everyone does it is because it's that much harder to do.

So...because of that, there are a couple notices in the manual specifically stating that it is not an authentic product. I did my best to integrate it where you'd normally see warnings and copyrights.

At any rate, here's the deal:

The insert has to be printed on at least tabloid paper. Glossier the better, drop some coin on it and you'll be greatly pleased (Briggs used a $10,000 printer..suffice to say the better the printer, the better the results).

The manual, only the cover needs to be printed on glossy.

While most people don't have access to a printer that will print tabloid (the usually go to Kinko's), the manual can be printed on standard letter paper (8.5x11).

Print the cover, as mentioned, on some nice stock. The remaining pages can be printed on whatever paper you have handy. In fact if you want an authentic look,. you could just print it on the cheapest paper you can find.

The manual is broken into 3 files: Cover, Front and Back.

The Front file is all of the facing pages, that is to say if you were to dismantle the manual and then deal the pages out like a deck of cards, it'd be all the 'tops' of the pages.

The Back file is the opposite pages, on the other side of the front.

All you have to do is print the Front file, then re-load those pages back into your printer and print the Back file (depending on your printer you may have to flip them over first or...you may not have to. I'm not psychic :)).

After printing the pages, trim them along the black edges (you may only see 2, since the page is exactly 11" wide, and depending on your printer you may only have the top and bottom edges). I didn't use crop marks because they mad the page far to wide and a PDF would distort them to fit. This was the best solution to still use a piece of legal paper.

Once you've trimmed the pages, fold them in the center, then...set them organize them like a manual. Now...at this point in time one of two things will happen:

1) Your manual will look fine, if this is the case move on to stapling.

or

2) It'll look like the pages inside your manual are too big. You didn't screw up. If you used a thicker paper you may experience what is known as "Paper Creep". You can trim it again, but be careful, if you trim too much you may lose some artwork on the inside pages. This is why, in addition to the authenticity, I reccomend the cheapest paper you can find. Thin is good.

Finally staple the middle, with the cover facing up. Maybe 3 staples.

Most desktop staplers will reach the 5.5 inches to the middle. If yours doesn't, invest in one. They're not expensive.

That's it.

Any questions or comments are welcome.

Oh...the pdf's are security protected not for any special reason other than to prevent anyone from accidentally making any changes and for the off chance anyone is unscrupulous enough to try and print and sell one (again, this is all commercial quality artwork)...although, honestly, at the end of the day anyone who wanted to get past the password could.

Enjoy.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Will the security preven me from cutting stuff out and applying it to my own insert?

Haven't tried but the last part kinda got my attention.

Anyhow, really great work. Im still not sure about the entire vector thing. Me not pro.

Wheres the rest of your stuff?

_Kefka_

Overtop Pathfinder
Hi I tried to print your wonderfull manual, but I got 2 big issue.

The biggest is that the red mention "This file should be printed..." of the back on the first page IS printing !!!
The one from the front and covers didn't print, so I think you forget to remove it from printing in the back...
The other issue is that front and back aren't correctly centered : there is about 8 mm of difference... (not a big issue, I cutted 4 mm after having printed the front to correctly print the back :) )

But the red notice, I can't remove it ...

Last edited:

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
NeoCverA said:
Will the security preven me from cutting stuff out and applying it to my own insert?
Yeah, it will actually. It'll prevent anyone from doing anything other than printing.

NeoCverA said:
Wheres the rest of your stuff?
Most of my inserts have been on Kazuya's for the past few years. There's this one and a Baseball Stars 2 one that I really haven't uploaded anywhere special.

Years ago I also made a Samurai Shodown 2 and a Super Dodgeball one but I never really cared for them. I don't even think I have copies anymore.

_Kefka_ said:
Hi I tried to print your wonderfull manual, but I got 2 big issue.

The biggest is that the red mention "This file should be printed..." of the back on the first page IS printing !!!

The other issue is that front and back aren't correctly centered : there is about 8 mm of difference... (not a big issue, I cutted 4 mm after having printed the front to correctly print the back )

Thanks! I fixed the back notice, you're right.

As for the front and back being centered, they're centered, if you're seeing a difference it's most likely related to your printer.

Most home printers aren't necessarily calibrated perfectly. It's to be expected.

Now a differecence of 8mm is actually a lot more than I'd expect to see, honestly. That would mean your printer is off by 4mm on each side. I'd hope to see no more than 2mm on both sides.

At any rate, it's part of the reason there's plenty of white space around the pages.

I'm glad you like it though and I'm uploading the updated .zip file as we speak. It should be finished in about 10 minutes.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
So you don't approve of my using some of your elements in your insert to create one for myself given the security measures you took?

I have 3 inserts at my site with your past post (quality is not the same) but I will gladly take them down if it is not ok. I'm sorry I hadn't really asked. I did credit you for the work but I never bothered to ask if it was ok. sorry once again.

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
NeoCverA said:
So you don't approve of my using some of your elements in your insert to create one for myself given the security measures you took?

Again...

Blaine said:
the pdf's are security protected not for any special reason other than to prevent anyone from accidentally making any changes and for the off chance anyone is unscrupulous enough to try and print and sell one (again, this is all commercial quality artwork)...although, honestly, at the end of the day anyone who wanted to get past the password could.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I appreciate you quoting yourself there Blaine but it still doesn't address the question as to your approval/disapproval of the inserts that I have done and posted for download.

you got PM.

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
NeoCverA said:
I appreciate you quoting yourself there Blaine but it still doesn't address the question as to your approval/disapproval of the inserts that I have done and posted for download.

I appreciate you appreciating it, but I would have appreciated it more if you had read it.

I put the password on for:

1) To prevent anyone from accidentally making a change. Heavy odds? You'd be surprised.

2) To make it a little more difficult to anyone who'd want to print and sell the manual. I wanted to make sure it wasn't easy to remove the notices about it being a fan made product with no value. If printed on a good enough printer, it would be indistinguishable from commercially printed document.

Period.

When you asked me the first time if I minded you copying the bamboo, I said 'if it feels good, do it'.

I appreciate you asking me, it's very nice of you. I honestly couldn't care less what you do.

Not to be a dick, but that's what it boils down to. Me adding a password has nothing to do with anything but those two points.