Kyo and Iori - what's the story?

Fluff_Daddy

Galford's Armourer
Why are they always angry with each other? And what's this Ochiro (or whatever) stuff? And how does K' fit into all of this?

edit: I had a typo in the topic

<small>[ September 05, 2003, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Fluff_Daddy ]</small>

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
taken from JGPalanca's KoF story faq (available at a gamefaqs near you)

* What's the Kyo/Iori story?
1800 years ago, the evil Orochi Yamatano was silenced by the fists of
Kusanagi, Hasshaku and the power of Magatama. In a bitter dispute, the
Hasshaku family broke legion with the Kusanagi clan. 660 years of battle
followed.
The Hasshakus, seeking domination and a life of earthly pleasure,
allied with the Orochi family in a blood contract, rising in terror under the
name of Yagami.
Behind the scenes, the dreaded Yagami clan manipulated the power
holders of time, buffeting all good souls with winds of chaos. In the
shadows of history, the Yagamis collided with the Kusanagis continuously.
And now, the final battle is set to take place......
1995 Kyo and Iori meet to battle it out!

Japan's legendary myth of the Yamata no Orochi is a story where an
eight-headed dragon trys to destroy the country. But the true fact is, it
was not an eight-headed dragon that was endangering all of Japan, but eight
fierce warriors. Thank god for the country, the power of the demonic
warriors were entrapped by three brave clans, the Yagami, Kusanagi, and Yata
(Kagura). The Orochi power was then sealed into the bodies of the Yata clan,
whom from then on were always born as twins.
Even up to the modern day, the seal has been guarded by the three
clans, or so everyone thought. Eight years before the KoF'96 tournament,
Kagura Chizuru's twin sister was killed, and in the process, the power of the
Orochi was released. The killer was an 18 year old named Goenitz, one of the
decendants of the four fiercest bosses of the eight Orochi warriors.
Unfortunately for Goenitz, a 25 year old by the name of Rugal stole
some of the Orochi power as it was freed. Goenitz, being a cool man, even at
his age, decided to see what would happen if a normal human being possessed
the Orochi power. So he let Rugal live with but the loss of an eye. In
order to keep an eye on him, he sent two other decendants of the Orochi clan
to spy on him. Their names were Vice and Mature.
Around the same time, a green haired little girl who also carried the
Orochi blood suddenly went ballistic and wiped out her entire family. She
was later adopted by a tall, one-eyed soldier named Heidern.
Eight years after the massacre, Chizuru opens a tournament to find
the fiercest fighters of the world in order to stop Goenitz and the rest of
the Orochi clan. After a bloody fight, Goenitz returns to the skies. But
this is not the end, only a new beginning. There is more to come as three of
the Orochi bosses carry on their ambition to rid the world of the sinful
mankind...
Fluff_Daddy:
Why are they always angry with each other? And what's this Ochiro (or whatever) stuff? And how does K' fit into all of this?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
1800 years before the events around KoF, there were three clans that fought against the Orochi, Japans mystic multi-headed "monster" (actually it's more like a power principle), these were the clans of Yagami (Iori), Kusanagi (Kyo) and Yata (Chizuru). Later on, the Yagami made a pact of blood with the Orochi in turn for greater power, that's why Iori's flames have the Orochi color (purple), he also once went into the Riot of the Blood (KoF97) caused by the power of Orochi that was the final boss in this year.

Shortly after this pact of blood between the Orochi and the Yagami (who were known as Hassaku back then), a feud broke out between the Yagami and Kusanagi that rages on 'til today. That's why Kyo hates Iori for being brutal, merciless and vulgar, but also for being a member of the Yagami clan.

Yuki, Kyo's girlfriend that he met in high school (where Shingo goes to as well), is another reason for his hatred towards Iori. Yuki actually is an 1800 years old priestess of the Orochi, it was planned to sacrifice her and 7 others (the 8 sacrificial maidens, or Kushinada, of the Orochi story) to Orochi in order to awake him. Yuki managed to escape her doom with the help of the leader of the Kusanagi clan, afterwards her tracks got lost in time. Eons later, she appears out of nowhere in Kyo's school and steps into his life to prepare him for the things to come in KoF.

Btw., Chizuru belongs to the Yata clan that was responsible for sealing Orochi's power from becoming too strong again, she does that in KoF97 as well after Iori, despite his Riot of the Blood, fiercly attacked Orochi and Kyo joining him.

Basically, the Iori vs Kyo story is the good ole' "forces of evil vs forces of good" bit, tho there's always a certain twist to the SNK version of this because Kyo isn't always the good guy and Iori not always is the blood-thirsty bad guy.

Edit: Damn, Charlie beat me to it...

<small>[ September 05, 2003, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Takumaji ]</small>

Fluff_Daddy

Galford's Armourer
Why did they mix in K' in all of this? And what are his intentions (besides just kicking a lot of ass)?

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Fluff_Daddy:
Why did they mix in K' in all of this? And what are his intentions (besides just kicking a lot of ass)?
K' came in because SNK contracted the artist from Daraku Tenshi to do KoF 99. K' is basically a composite of a few characters from that game. Look into Daraku Tenshi and you'll see what I mean.

Eric

Fight On!,
I sincerely wish I could give credit to who wrote this, but unfortunately, I cannot, as I only have it available in a text file. Cheers to the writer though.

Note: There are some typos, but nothing to make it unreadable. If I find out who wrote it I'll try to get permission to edit it and possibly host it somewhere for later reference.

Ok, I will try to explain the deal behind Kyo and Iori rivalry. It is NOT easy.

Please bear with my terrible English and with the many typos as well. I have no time at all to proofread the whole thing. Sorry.

To understand KOF plot, you have first to know a famous Japanese myth, part of the Kojiki traditional mythology book.

In the Kojiki, we have (among others) two great deities. Amaterasu Omikami, goddess on Sun and creation, and his brother Susano-oh, god of chaos and destruction.

At a certain point of the story, they had a fight and a bad quarrel.

Ok, now there was a huge beast, an eight-headed serpent/dragon called Yamata no Orochi. This beast requested a virgin maiden to be sacrificed to him each year.

One year, the selected maiden was princess Kushinada. Actually, she was Amaterasu's beloved one vestal too. Thus, Susano-oh though to go and kill Orochi, save the princess and thus re-join with his offended sister by saving her beloved one.

Therefore, Susano-oh did. He went to Orochi dressed up as a kind of wanderer merchant, and got the beast drunk using eight jar s of sake (each one for one of the Orochi heads). Then, he cut all of Orochi's head one by one and killed the beast. On the very Orochi tail, Susano-oh finds a sword, which was named Kusanagi [literally 'grass slayer', as dragons were believed to live beneath grass]. The chaos god kept the Kusanagi sword and presented it to the Kushinada family, along with a mystic mirror, made from one of the Orochi blood tear, and a mystic bead, know as 'Magatama', created with one of the Orochi tooth.

The three Sacred Regalia were kept by the Kushinada family, and became the three sacred objects of Japanese tradition. You can find them in a Tokyo temple, and references to this famous myth are sprouted all around in Japan culture (anime included, just think of Sailor Moon S).

Now, keep in mind this myth is believed to happen before the beginning of time, about 1800 years ago.

King of Fighters storyline move by a reinterpretation of this myth.

In the SNK version of the myth, Orochi was not really a serpent, but a clan of fighters whose blood was marked by the 'Orochi Power'. They were eight warriors, as the Eight Heads of the allegorical serpent. They were the Hakkeshu [literally 'the eight mighty'], and they also asked eight human (virgins) to be sacrificed in order to resurrect the Orochi itself, the virgins were called 'the Kushinada'.

About 1800 years ago, three clans dared to fight the Orochi. They were the Kusanagi, the Yasakani and the Yata family. Both Kusanagi and Yasakani possessed the amazing fighting ability to generate and thrust holy flames. The Yata family was a Shinto priest family. Each family represents one of the three mystic regalia. Yasakani, 'the Magatama bead' froze the serpent, Kusanagi 'the sword' defeated it and Yata 'the mirror' sealed off the Orochi. Since then, the Yata family always had a lineage of twin sisters in which blood bonds consisted the seal of the Orochi.

Century passed. The evil Orochi was defeated, but its clan survived. After about 1180 years, the Yasakani clan became blinded by greed and ambition, and started an internal fight with the Kusanagi clan. The Yasanaki ended up being seduced by the Orochi clan and power.
The Yasakani mixed up its blood and lineage with the Orochi clan, gaining great power. Since then, the Yasakani flames turned from crimson to purple, and all the Yasakani got shortened lives since the inhuman power flowing in their veins was consuming them. At that time, the Yasakani changed their name in YAGAMI.

Yes, this was the very beginning of the so-called '660 years war' between the Kusanagi and Yagami clans, later families.

Kyo and Iori are obviously the descendants of these families.

The Yata family, not to be involved in the fight and in order to prevent the Orochi seal to be removed, changed its name as well to keep secret. They became the KAGURA family. Yes, Chizuru is the descendant of the Yata/Kagura clan and family.

The story arrives this way to our day.

Iori is an 'Orochi bastard', he thrust purple flame and get pain by that.

In modern times, the modern Hakkeshu are about to gather.

The stronger of them, Goenitz, tries three missions. First, he goes to the only traitor Hakkeshu, called Guidel. This Hakkeshu was shouting away his Orochi blood living a normal life with a normal family. When Guidel refuses to rejoin with Goenitz, Goenitz awake the half-Orochi blood of the little Guidel daughters. That little girl was LEONA. She go berserk by 'Riot of the Blood', which affect the Orochi bastard when they half-Orochi blood awakes. Leona kill their parents and fall in catatonic state, being later saved by HEIDERN, but remembering nothing of the experience.

Later, Goenitz manage to kill Chizuru Kagura twin sister, thus breaking the Orochi seal.

A man then tried to siphon some of the Orochi power: he was RUGAL. Goenitz was curios to see how the Orochi power would affect a 'normal' human, so let Rugal live, only taking his right eye as a blood mark. Goenitz also send his servants, two Hakkeshu as well, to spy Rugal. They were Mature and Vice, which played the role of Rugal secretaries in order to survey him.

In the end, Rugal was consumed by the Orochi power and died (KOF95).

In 96, Goenitz revealed himself, just to be defeated by the joined forces of the three sacred family Kusanagi (Kyo), Yasakani/Yagami (Iori) and Yata/Kagura (Chizuru). In this occasion, Leona re-gained part of her memories, and also Iori Yagami suffered his first Riot of the Blood, which lead him killing his two teammates Vice and Mature, which were also sent by Goenitz to spy Yagami and later become traitor of their master.

Goenitz, the Hakkeshu of the Wind, died.
Mature and Vice died as well.
Guidel was dead since years.

In 1997, three of the four remaining Hakkeshu awakened and tried to resurrect the Orochi, The were the New Faces Team, Chris of the Flames, Shermi of the Thunder and Yashiro of the Earth.
The eighth Hakkeshu was Yamazaki Ryuji.

The NFT tried to seized the last Kushinada remaining, to kill her and resurrect the Orochi. She actually was YUKI, Kyo's girlfriend.

In the end, after both Leona and Iori suffered Riot of the Blood by the upcoming release of the Orochi, the NFT sacrificed themselves and the Orochi was reborn in Chris body, but again defeated by the three family.

Now I guess you can understand way in 97/98 Iori as a 'freezing' super, Chizuru has a 'sealing' super, and Kyo has a smashing super.

You will also know why Chizuru turns into a Shinto priest when facing the Hakkeshu, or why she draw a mirror in the air while facing Yagami or Kusanagi.

You would also understand why we have 'berserker' version of Leona and Iori in 97, or why Yamazaki react to Chris presence.

There are many, many more details, but I guess I have already written too much.

I hope someone enjoyed all this.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Eric:
I sincerely wish I could give credit to who wrote this, but unfortunately, I cannot, as I only have it available in a text file. Cheers to the writer though.

Note: There are some typos, but nothing to make it unreadable. If I find out who wrote it I'll try to get permission to edit it and possibly host it somewhere for later reference.

Ok, I will try to explain the deal behind Kyo and Iori rivalry. It is NOT easy.

Please bear with my terrible English and with the many typos as well. I have no time at all to proofread the whole thing. Sorry.

To understand KOF plot, you have first to know a famous Japanese myth, part of the Kojiki traditional mythology book.

In the Kojiki, we have (among others) two great deities. Amaterasu Omikami, goddess on Sun and creation, and his brother Susano-oh, god of chaos and destruction.

At a certain point of the story, they had a fight and a bad quarrel.

Ok, now there was a huge beast, an eight-headed serpent/dragon called Yamata no Orochi. This beast requested a virgin maiden to be sacrificed to him each year.

One year, the selected maiden was princess Kushinada. Actually, she was Amaterasu's beloved one vestal too. Thus, Susano-oh though to go and kill Orochi, save the princess and thus re-join with his offended sister by saving her beloved one.

Therefore, Susano-oh did. He went to Orochi dressed up as a kind of wanderer merchant, and got the beast drunk using eight jar s of sake (each one for one of the Orochi heads). Then, he cut all of Orochi's head one by one and killed the beast. On the very Orochi tail, Susano-oh finds a sword, which was named Kusanagi [literally 'grass slayer', as dragons were believed to live beneath grass]. The chaos god kept the Kusanagi sword and presented it to the Kushinada family, along with a mystic mirror, made from one of the Orochi blood tear, and a mystic bead, know as 'Magatama', created with one of the Orochi tooth.

The three Sacred Regalia were kept by the Kushinada family, and became the three sacred objects of Japanese tradition. You can find them in a Tokyo temple, and references to this famous myth are sprouted all around in Japan culture (anime included, just think of Sailor Moon S).

Now, keep in mind this myth is believed to happen before the beginning of time, about 1800 years ago.

King of Fighters storyline move by a reinterpretation of this myth.

In the SNK version of the myth, Orochi was not really a serpent, but a clan of fighters whose blood was marked by the 'Orochi Power'. They were eight warriors, as the Eight Heads of the allegorical serpent. They were the Hakkeshu [literally 'the eight mighty'], and they also asked eight human (virgins) to be sacrificed in order to resurrect the Orochi itself, the virgins were called 'the Kushinada'.

About 1800 years ago, three clans dared to fight the Orochi. They were the Kusanagi, the Yasakani and the Yata family. Both Kusanagi and Yasakani possessed the amazing fighting ability to generate and thrust holy flames. The Yata family was a Shinto priest family. Each family represents one of the three mystic regalia. Yasakani, 'the Magatama bead' froze the serpent, Kusanagi 'the sword' defeated it and Yata 'the mirror' sealed off the Orochi. Since then, the Yata family always had a lineage of twin sisters in which blood bonds consisted the seal of the Orochi.

Century passed. The evil Orochi was defeated, but its clan survived. After about 1180 years, the Yasakani clan became blinded by greed and ambition, and started an internal fight with the Kusanagi clan. The Yasanaki ended up being seduced by the Orochi clan and power.
The Yasakani mixed up its blood and lineage with the Orochi clan, gaining great power. Since then, the Yasakani flames turned from crimson to purple, and all the Yasakani got shortened lives since the inhuman power flowing in their veins was consuming them. At that time, the Yasakani changed their name in YAGAMI.

Yes, this was the very beginning of the so-called '660 years war' between the Kusanagi and Yagami clans, later families.

Kyo and Iori are obviously the descendants of these families.

The Yata family, not to be involved in the fight and in order to prevent the Orochi seal to be removed, changed its name as well to keep secret. They became the KAGURA family. Yes, Chizuru is the descendant of the Yata/Kagura clan and family.

The story arrives this way to our day.

Iori is an 'Orochi bastard', he thrust purple flame and get pain by that.

In modern times, the modern Hakkeshu are about to gather.

The stronger of them, Goenitz, tries three missions. First, he goes to the only traitor Hakkeshu, called Guidel. This Hakkeshu was shouting away his Orochi blood living a normal life with a normal family. When Guidel refuses to rejoin with Goenitz, Goenitz awake the half-Orochi blood of the little Guidel daughters. That little girl was LEONA. She go berserk by 'Riot of the Blood', which affect the Orochi bastard when they half-Orochi blood awakes. Leona kill their parents and fall in catatonic state, being later saved by HEIDERN, but remembering nothing of the experience.

Later, Goenitz manage to kill Chizuru Kagura twin sister, thus breaking the Orochi seal.

A man then tried to siphon some of the Orochi power: he was RUGAL. Goenitz was curios to see how the Orochi power would affect a 'normal' human, so let Rugal live, only taking his right eye as a blood mark. Goenitz also send his servants, two Hakkeshu as well, to spy Rugal. They were Mature and Vice, which played the role of Rugal secretaries in order to survey him.

In the end, Rugal was consumed by the Orochi power and died (KOF95).

In 96, Goenitz revealed himself, just to be defeated by the joined forces of the three sacred family Kusanagi (Kyo), Yasakani/Yagami (Iori) and Yata/Kagura (Chizuru). In this occasion, Leona re-gained part of her memories, and also Iori Yagami suffered his first Riot of the Blood, which lead him killing his two teammates Vice and Mature, which were also sent by Goenitz to spy Yagami and later become traitor of their master.

Goenitz, the Hakkeshu of the Wind, died.
Mature and Vice died as well.
Guidel was dead since years.

In 1997, three of the four remaining Hakkeshu awakened and tried to resurrect the Orochi, The were the New Faces Team, Chris of the Flames, Shermi of the Thunder and Yashiro of the Earth.
The eighth Hakkeshu was Yamazaki Ryuji.

The NFT tried to seized the last Kushinada remaining, to kill her and resurrect the Orochi. She actually was YUKI, Kyo's girlfriend.

In the end, after both Leona and Iori suffered Riot of the Blood by the upcoming release of the Orochi, the NFT sacrificed themselves and the Orochi was reborn in Chris body, but again defeated by the three family.

Now I guess you can understand way in 97/98 Iori as a 'freezing' super, Chizuru has a 'sealing' super, and Kyo has a smashing super.

You will also know why Chizuru turns into a Shinto priest when facing the Hakkeshu, or why she draw a mirror in the air while facing Yagami or Kusanagi.

You would also understand why we have 'berserker' version of Leona and Iori in 97, or why Yamazaki react to Chris presence.

There are many, many more details, but I guess I have already written too much.

I hope someone enjoyed all this.
One flaw with that. It states Yamazak, MAture, Vice, and guidel were not Hakkeshu (Heavenly Kings) They are only Descendents of Orochi blood line. Only Goenitz, Chris, Shermie, and Yashiro are Heavenly Kings (Hence they can control elements). the other 4 could not control elements but because of there heritage were very powerful.

and NO Yamazaki is not Goenitz's brother NO NO NO! You cannot say just becaue they both have blonde hair they're related. Hell The blonde color of both them are different.

Fluff_Daddy

Galford's Armourer
Ok, so Shingo goes to Kyos school. But is there anything else that explains why they are wearing similair clothes and uses similar techniques?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Fluff_Daddy:
Ok, so Shingo goes to Kyos school. But is there anything else that explains why they are wearing similair clothes and uses similar techniques?
You mean Kyo and Shingo? Well, for a start, Kyo eventually agreed to train him, that should explain it.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
OrochiEddie:
One flaw with that. It states Yamazak, MAture, Vice, and guidel were not Hakkeshu (Heavenly Kings) They are only Descendents of Orochi blood line. Only Goenitz, Chris, Shermie, and Yashiro are Heavenly Kings (Hence they can control elements). the other 4 could not control elements but because of there heritage were very powerful.
Goenitz, Chris, Shermie, and Yashiro are the Shitenou ~ 四天王. Literally it translates to 4 heaven kings. It's supposed to mean the best four. I think that Yamazaki, Vice, and Mature were hakkeshu, but of course not part of the Shitenou.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
You mean Kyo and Shingo? Well, for a start, Kyo eventually agreed to train him, that should explain it.
Shingo also has a very strange obsession with Kyo. He wants to be exactly like him