Korean KOF98

Hitokiri

Crossed Swords Squire
well after months of hunting this game I got one here in Chile, I just bought it blindly the seller didn't post any pics of it, but it was the only one available so I took the chance.
And when it finally it gets here it says "Made in Korea" when I opened it up it looked legit to me, but after trying it the damn thing has no voices, the characters are silent. WTF?
Pics

Pic 1
Pic 2
I'll take better pics tonight.

Stompp

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I could be wrong, but that MX chip would suggest it's a boot I'm afraid :(

Hitokiri

Crossed Swords Squire
MX chips are never a good thing, but it's a repair maybe...
also since it's Korean, everything goes I guess.
but WTF with the voices XD?

well, it's 1 vote for boot :'(

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Korean games do that a lot. They had a lot of hate for the Japanese language back in the 90's.

A lot of CPS2 games suffer the missing sound effects as well.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Korean games do that a lot. They had a lot of hate for the Japanese language back in the 90's.

A lot of CPS2 games suffer the missing sound effects as well.

Hates Japanese

Has no problem bootlegging games for profit.

Stompp

Kuroko's Training Dummy
MX chips are never a good thing, but it's a repair maybe...
Could most certainly be a repair. As I said I might very well be wrong so don't give up hope yet. Better wait and see what the more skilled peeps have to say about this. Kinda keen on hearing about it too since I have a bunch of carts that I've written off as boots just because they have windowed MX chips.

Asure

Captain Dick,
Original board. The main program roms (the ones with the windows) have been replaced with the localised Korean version that has no voices.

You can probably get voices back by:
- Grabbing a rom dump from an original US/JP cart (mame set, for example, you need M1 and P1)
- Emailing buyicnow.com with those dumps, and asking them to burn to respective eproms.
- Desoldering the chips and replace with the correct ones.

Korea localised everything back in the day, for reasons discusses above.

Hitokiri

Crossed Swords Squire
@Asure I really like that option, I'll see what I can do, Thanks.
will a socket fit in there?

Last edited:

Stompp

Kuroko's Training Dummy
@Asure: Interesting, I thought all MX chips were of evil but you say that windowed ones could have been used for repairs? Was this common only on Korean versions or in general?

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I have not seen a lot of KOREAN MVS carts; however, from what I know about MVS boards, I'd say your boards look legit.

As said above, Korean carts are usually censored, so some roms may be erpom instead of mask.

If you have a buddy with a burner, and access to the "non-korean" code, then you can remove the roms, reprogram these roms with the "non-korean" code, and put the chips back on the board and you should be good to go.

But, perhaps someone with more exp. with these carts can comment.

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
its fine this is totally normal for korean carts - normally the only diff is the p roms :)
I've never seen a maskrom P rom mod for a korean region cart... (always eproms done to censor em) it's worth pulling a dump off those p roms incase they are undumped too... looking at the mame set its listing the m1 rom as the difference between sets (kof98k) but i'd replace all 3...
\o_

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
If that's the case, get yourself an eprom eraser. You can reuse the existing eproms to get the game to usa/jap proper.

Fayk

Cheng's Errand Boy
I know it's a funny case, but this thread is hurting my brain, turning a (Korea) official cart into a boot. Heh!

But yeah, those eproms look fine Hito (probably) - since they're as fast (faster than actually) the originals).

Hitokiri

Crossed Swords Squire
It's about justice!!!! XD
anyways... I'm planing on "correcting" the cart, but I'll keep the original Eproms like they're
in case I ever want to reverse the process and keep it as close to original as posible

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
My KOF2001 is korean and I simply changed both the P roms to get the vocals back which is what you need to do for your cart.

I know it's a funny case, but this thread is hurting my brain, turning a (Korea) official cart into a boot. Heh!

But yeah, those eproms look fine Hito (probably) - since they're as fast (faster than actually) the originals).

People just throw the term boot around so loosely. No changing the P roms does not make the cart a boot.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
mm is correct.

Reprogramming the erpoms with the official "non-Korean" code would not make the cart a boot.

It would make it an Un-Censored version.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
It's about justice!!!! XD
anyways... I'm planing on "correcting" the cart, but I'll keep the original Eproms like they're
in case I ever want to reverse the process and keep it as close to original as posible

You can still reverse the process. They are eproms after all. Just do another erase and program cycle and you're back to square one. You're already desoldering the chips in questions. Not much left to be original with regards to that part.

Stompp

Kuroko's Training Dummy
My KOF2001 is korean and I simply changed both the P roms to get the vocals back which is what you need to do for your cart.

People just throw the term boot around so loosely. No changing the P roms does not make the cart a boot.
Agreed. To make an analogy; if I replace the original (torn) side art on my cabinet with new repro art, does that make my cabinet a bootleg? ;)

Asure

Captain Dick,
Agreed. To make an analogy; if I replace the original (torn) side art on my cabinet with new repro art, does that make my cabinet a bootleg? ;)
I can't call it a bootleg. More like a repaired cabined. But, it's not 100% original. It would be original if you had used NOS sideart. (But, you can't get NOS P roms from SNK for this game.)

It really doesn't matter how we view it. If Hitokiri wants to play the game as it was ment to be, he can do what he wants :)

Hitokiri

Crossed Swords Squire
That's the thing, I'm pretty anal about keeping the games Original, I don't reprint labels for Snes carts and stuff like that.
but for me that Korean version is a ripped version of the original, and I want Kyo to shout his attacks!
I'll change the Eproms and keep the Korean ones I won't delete them, I just need to find out what Eprom to buy.
and if I ever get another KOF98 I'll restore this one to it's former Korean Mute version.

Thanks for all the great input.

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
you are only restoring the game to where it was before they made it into a 'Korean Censored Edition' by adding their eproms in - don't worry :)