KOFMI MAniax

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
I was referring to KOF MI's voices. Hate english and love a language no one outside of Japan understands. That's fighting games for ya.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
>>Mignon Beart (Haha they named her "A fine piece of meat") is one of my least favorite characters ever in anything.<<

I kind of thought SNK was pushing the cute envelope with Nakoruru and Cham Cham, and they are at least somewhat serious as characters.

Actually, this is one of the few things I hate about Japanese culture. That whole 'oh look how cute and childlike and innocent she is!' thing. Personally, I think that such girls just come off as retarded, regardless of how hot they may be. The girls from TATU are 'schoolgirls', but they aren't idiots.

>>And what the hell is up with Chae Lim? I mean fans were so happy when Kim was dropped out of FF3 right?<<

Wurd, brother. Preach that shit. There is nothing wrong with Kim Kaphwan. Hell, at least make him a secret selectable character ala Christie/Eddie from Tekken 5.

>>I gotta say, if they went through with it and actually made Maximum Impact a fully Wild Ambition-esque game and focus more on the FF characters, I'd argue that it probably would have done better in the US than it would have as King of Fighters. It's surprising to note that the few 2D fighter fans that come into the Gamestops/EB around here aren't into King of Fighters because the franchise had no home presence in the US, but they're ALL about Street Fighter, World Heroes, Fatal Fury, all those early nineties series.<<

You are so correct. Even when I'm talking fighting games with the GamingFM crew, the only Neo Geo fighting games that truly resonate with them are the old series: Art Of Fighting, Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown and World Heroes. They aren't big KOF fans, although they like the FF and AOF characters, and don't care for SVC Chaos even though they dig on CvS II because it was made by Capcom.

>>It's a shame SNK of Japan wants to establish a strong presence in the US again but won't capitalize on those and the other classic arcade games that are the reason they originally had a strong US presence in the first place.<<

Yeah. But $ony can be a bunch of jackasses, too. IF SNK had the same level of clout in the US as, say, Capcom, they would probably be able to release more of their games stateside, the way they are able to in Japan because that company is a stronger entity over there. But because they're small potatos in the console market in the NA region, they have to conform more to what $ony wants. Take a look at the aborted PS2 release of SVC Chaos or Samurai Shodown V for examples of $ony's antics.

>>You're dead on right about SNK losing the mascot focus with Terry Bogard in the US. Even Capcom got this right; the Capcom vs. SNK US cover features TERRY and Ryu, the way it should be.<<

Well, Capcom's always done what's smart for their company without wasting the marketing potential of their properties. Even when Alex was marketed as the new 'main character' for SF III: New Generation, they never implied that Ryu was now yesterday's news. He remained prominent. SNK, on the other hand, got on the Kyo bandwagon and basically abandoned those of us who weren't along for the ride.

But I could go on and on about SNK's marketing blunders over the years. If anybody ever cared to document them all, it would end up as a series of books you'd have to buy in installments like the Encyclopedia Brittanica or something.

>>It reminds me of Sega right after the US Saturn launch. They had Sonic, the coolest character in town at the time, and instead of making a Sonic game or promoting Sonic they suddenly tried to make every single character from Bug to Pepperachou to Janet from Virtua Cop to Jeffry McWild Sega's "mascot" within the span of like three months of marketing.<<

I think SEGA was pretty desperate to create as much market consciousness about their properties as they could. The shame of it is that SEGA didn't need to go that route. SEGA's marketing blunders are actually worse than SNK's in my opinion, although they didn't make nearly as many. They were worse because, unlike SNK, there was a time when SEGA was right there with Nintendo at the top of the mountain. They were neck and neck and then SEGA just...foundered. Personally, I think the lack of DVD support in the Dreamcast, an otherwise WONDERFUL system, was the beginning of the end for them as a console developer.

>>Whatever. If SNK had a scene in the KoF'94 intro where Mask/G-Mantle is driving a cab and he drops Kyo off in front of a King of Fighters billboard things would have been different, but no.<<

I have no real beef with Kyo these days other than that he just doesn't stand out to me. It's a very average 'anime style' character with an very average 'anime style' back story and very average 'anime style' moves. Terry was flashy, unique. A video game character created for video game enthusiasts. A true great video game character in all aspects. All of the FF and AOF casts were. They weren't designed to appeal to a specific sect of video game fans. They were designed for ALL video game fans.

The KOF cast that was created specifically FOR KOF was designed to appeal to a niche group of a niche group, and while it worked for a while it was a short term gain. Now we see the problems inherent in not having a focused, singular, international marketing campaign for your product a la Capcom, Konami or Nintendo. It's not 'Link in Japan, Zelda in America', or 'Ryu in Japan, Ken in America' or 'Solid Snake is an American in the US release, he is a Japanese-American in the JAP release.' They have one vision, and it works.

SNK should not have done 'Kyo in Japan, Terry in America.' That's just one example of how backwards SNK was/is.