KOF2003 new hardware

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
OmegaSaber said:
Way to insult everyone here dragonwillow, that'll get you respect and people believing you. And 6 to 9 SVC boards? RIIIIIGHT. SVC boards were the size of two MVS carts put label to label. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say 6. Want to see how big 6 SVC boards is put together?
stupid.jpg

The cd is there to give you an idea of size. SNKP makes games, not coffee tables. These things have to fit in small sit down cabs in japan, think about it. Unless it's 3 boards stacked atop one another I count that to be bullshit. The board may be a bit bigger than SVC but not 6 times bigger.
:lol: :lol:

If there was board of that size, it would have to stand upright in the cabinet.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
The bottom line is, if it can run on your AES console, it can run on an MVS board.

Paul Phoenix

New Challenger
Hey guys, my Primal Rage PCB is nearly as big as the cartridges above and it weighs about 40 lbs. (20 kg) !!!

And if he saw a board as big as he says, maybe it was some kind of work-in-progress board, ever seen dev kits for Playstation 2, do you know how huge they are ??? Those dev kits always look different from the final thing.

And finally, we have the confirmation from SNK-P, March, 11th ;)

And remember, some guys told the same thing when they saw SVC Chaos for the first time, so I won´t give anything on it :D

And finally, I just read in another thread that it will be released on Dec. 17th in arcades which is in approx. 9 days !!! With a release so close somebody should already know something about this hardware thing !!!

Last edited:

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
I have seen Primal Rage and it isn't that big.

We're talking about 3' by 3.5' approx.

There is no way it would fit in the cabs it is being designed for....Candy Cabs.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
Decepticon said:
I have seen Primal Rage and it isn't that big.

We're talking about 3' by 3.5' approx.

There is no way it would fit in the cabs it is being designed for....Candy Cabs.

Well, I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure 3 feet by 3 and-a-half feet is considerably fucking larger than an MVS board or AES cartridge.

I'd imagine whatever they had on demo was some kind of special board for in-testing games.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Buro Destruct said:
Well, I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure 3 feet by 3 and-a-half feet is considerably fucking larger than an MVS board or AES cartridge.

I'd imagine whatever they had on demo was some kind of special board for in-testing games.

You're afraid to battle me at SVC.
BEGONE, BALL DROPPER.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Maybe the same logic is behind it as tying a block of wood to a bathroom key. Make it awkward to steal.

Yamazaki_RJ

Overtop Pathfinder
OmegaSaber said:
And 6 to 9 SVC boards? RIIIIIGHT. SVC boards were the size of two MVS carts put label to label. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say 6. Want to see how big 6 SVC boards is put together?
stupid.jpg

The cd is there to give you an idea of size. SNKP makes games, not coffee tables. These things have to fit in small sit down cabs in japan, think about it. Unless it's 3 boards stacked atop one another I count that to be bullshit. The board may be a bit bigger than SVC but not 6 times bigger.

Man...

We will need ladders to play this thing! KOF 2003: the sky is the limit!

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
I don't know anything about hardware and the technical side of arcade gaming, but wouldn't it be possible for the KOF 2003 arcade board to be running on modified MVS hardware, with new chips and such, and the home cart itself will also contain new chips, but obviously still be compatible with the older hardware?

In other words, new chips put into the cart/board that enhance the game, just like the SVT chip in Virtua Racing for the Genesis, or the Super FX chip in Starfox for the SNES, etc.

Lee

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Lyte Edge said:
I don't know anything about hardware and the technical side of arcade gaming, but wouldn't it be possible for the KOF 2003 arcade board to be running on modified MVS hardware, with new chips and such, and the home cart itself will also contain new chips, but obviously still be compatible with the older hardware?

In other words, new chips put into the cart/board that enhance the game, just like the SVT chip in Virtua Racing for the Genesis, or the Super FX chip in Starfox for the SNES, etc.

Lee

Yeah, it could be similar to Super Nintendo's FX chip that was used in Star Fox & Lawnmower man. However, I've played this game at the loke test, and despite how impressive it looked, it was nothing that the MVS couldn't handle. They did it with Last Blade 2, they did it with Metal Slug 3, and they are doing it for KOF'03.

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
Lyte Edge said:

Lee

I'm not sure, but that does sound plausable. Any tech heads have an answer? My post was to discount the whole size claim, there may be a few extra bells and whisles added on to this board though.

Paul Phoenix

New Challenger
@ Lyte:

This might absolutely be right; this is really possible as even the current cartridges pretty sure do have different or new chips which are optimized.
Think of the early 80 meg cartridges, they definitely do not have the same interior like the 708 meg ones.

I am pretty sute that KoF 2003 will be AES compatible ;)

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
ResOGlas: The difference between KOF 2003 and all the other Neo games is that it's the first Neo-Geo fighter to have six characters loaded in memory (and all six being available in the same match) at one time, and also the first tag-based fighter with that much animation.

Paul Phoenix said:
@ Lyte:

This might absolutely be right; this is really possible as even the current cartridges pretty sure do have different or new chips which are optimized.
Think of the early 80 meg cartridges, they definitely do not have the same interior like the 708 meg ones.

I am pretty sute that KoF 2003 will be AES compatible ;)

Wasn't all that "Giga Power" crap basically SNK using new chips to give the carts more memory back in 1998 anyway?

We KNOW it's going to be AES compatible, or Playmore wouldn't have announced it in the first place. :)

Lee

Last edited:

Paul Phoenix

New Challenger
I do not actually think that the fighters are loaded into the memory as we are on a cartridge system here and the main advantage of the cartridges simply is it´s decompressing speed, which is real-time so to say.
So the fighters do not have to be kept im memory, when you change them it will "load" the new one in real-time.
And by the way, I have to say that, from judging by the movies, the animation isn´t all that impressive like in SVC Chaos or MotW, so technically there shouldn´t be any problems.

If I am wrong with what I am saying, please feel free to correct me ;)

KO-YT

n00b
inside of the kof2003 cabinet

cabinet.JPG

here is a pic of the inside of the kof2003 cabinet
i took it when the staff opened it to turn up the volume
it does look kinda big btw