KOF14 EVO 2017 Top 8

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member

Players from all over the world put a great show last night. Top 8 was so full of tight matches and no one could predict the outcome. It's good to see the character selection variety reaches to top 8 this time, and people are now starting to realize there is a lot of unexplored potential in the game's roster (past tournaments were dominated by specific characters).

It's a shame that nither Shoryuken.com nor EventHubs have put up any coverage for this game's top 8 (at least not yet).

Last edited:

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
The little bit of KOF I saw was goood. I'm watching Guilty Gear right now, and it's pretty good too even though I can barely tell what's going on half the time. I'm not a big fan of playing anime fighters, but I think they're really fun to watch at high levels of play.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
The little bit of KOF I saw was goood. I'm watching Guilty Gear right now, and it's pretty good too even though I can barely tell what's going on half the time. I'm not a big fan of playing anime fighters, but I think they're really fun to watch at high levels of play.

when you say anime fighters, do you mean games such as guilty gear and blazblue?

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Yeah, pretty much anything arcsys makes.

i see. but would you say the sf alpha, darkstalkers, real bout and even samurai shodown series are also anime fighters?. i always saw games like guilty gear and blazeblue as the next evolution of the 2d fighters from the 90's.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
i see. but would you say the sf alpha, darkstalkers, real bout and even samurai shodown series are also anime fighters?. i always saw games like guilty gear and blazeblue as the next evolution of the 2d fighters from the 90's.

You're right. SF alpha series and vampire savior especially are some of my favorite fighters, and they're definitely anime in style. I was just using anime as a pejorative to mean a very specific subset of anime games, namely the arcsys games. They're just a little too crazy for me gameplay wise, but very great looking and fun to watch games.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
You're right. SF alpha series and vampire savior especially are some of my favorite fighters, and they're definitely anime in style. I was just using anime as a pejorative to mean a very specific subset of anime games, namely the arcsys games. They're just a little too crazy for me gameplay wise, but very great looking and fun to watch games.

cool. i just never heard anyone use the term anime fighter before. thought it may be an official way to describe a certain genre of fighters now and i wasn't aware of it. but then i thought, all 2d fighters are anime, even king of fighters lol.

Last edited:

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Same!

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
"Anime" in fighting game lingo doesn't refer to the art style (although they also certainly share that look as well) but game mechanics. Games like Blazblue/Guilty/Arcana Heart/Melty Blood/etc. rely heavily on air mobility and tend to be very mechanically dense. They're also sometimes referred to as air-dashers. It's kind of a pejorative but the fans of the genre co-opted it and use it lovingly.

This has been your fighting game asshole minute.

As for KoF XIV, the top 8 was pretty good but it being Friday night and the lowest turnout event would lead me to believe that this is likely the last we'll see of KoF for a while. A damn shame too as XIV is a pretty solid game and fun to watch.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I caught the grand finals and a few sets before that. The last game in grand finals has probably been my top highlight of EVO so far, and I wasn't even originally planning on watching KoF on Friday night.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I watched a lot of Evo over the weekend, and I think the KOF final was my favourite. So close at the end, it really was quite exciting.

KOF XIV has been confirmed for Evo Japan.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I'm thinking that KOF may have finally gotten an iconic tournament moment in that last game of the final. There have been good games over the years, but nothing I can really remember off the top of my head. While it's not Daigo Parry or anything, I think people will remember that match for years to come.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Reynald's run thru losers in 2013 was pretty epic.