KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
They are improving the graphics? That is truly fucking awesome!!! My love for SNK is returning to full charge.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
So awesome they are improving the graphics of the game. Hopefully this brings in a few more players.

Last edited:

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I held off buying this initially and now it seems its getting hard to find brand new, the price certainly has not dropped. Is this going to be a limited 1 print run only game do you think so when the last few physical copies are sold then thats it?

Yoshi

20 Year Member
New version will be playable at Playstation Experience.

Hedging my bets on this being a PS Pro upgrade.
It's been too long since I've bitched about the slowness of the inevitable PC version. This seems like a worthy occasion.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/803532746081480704:

CyZckKBUcAAJYKp.jpg

Cya4xGSUUAAtRsP.jpg

Comparison pics by gato_ray:

Comparison.jpg

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
So do we know if this is a general update or purely for PS4 Pro systems?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
No details yet. Probably not before Saturday (PS Experience)

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Considering the graphics aren't that intensive in the 1st place I highly doubt lighting effects will cause this to be too much for PS4 vanilla. What I want to know is this just for supers, or the actual in game characters. Certain characters like Yuri could surely use it.

The main problem I see isn't graphics. It's netcode. This game has too much one sided lag. That's a killer to any game out there. I have no idea why SNK has always been plagued with this netcode problem, but if they think some lighting effects will solve everything when you get on and people can pop you in a corner and there's not a damn thing you can do because of the lag they got serious issues in that company. Fix one sided lag and MAYBE people will give a fuck to play your game. Until then you can give us revamped graphics and all the DLC we could want. Guess what nobody will play it online if this continues.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Updated graphics:

CyofP0nUcAAujFX.jpg

New colors. I would love to see new costumes as well.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I would love to see new costumes as well.
no thanks!
also sorry to moan (ng.com style), but 'improving' the graphics is a bit silly. improving graphics for reals would be to actually change up the models and have more interesting animations - more character - add blood for the love of fucking god! blood is what made KOF 96 so great.
make KOF great again

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
no thanks!
also sorry to moan (ng.com style), but 'improving' the graphics is a bit silly. improving graphics for reals would be to actually change up the models and have more interesting animations - more character - add blood for the love of fucking god! blood is what made KOF 96 so great.
make KOF great again

One step at a time. Let's not forget they've never been close to being a great 3D company. Let them improve and build confidence one step at a time.

fluxcore

Another Striker
Finally got a chance to play this (picked it during an amazon lightning sale), and at first it felt pretty clunky, just sluggish and weird. But after a while I got used to it - and of course after working out which of my favourite characters don't suit me anymore in the new game, it's pretty decent fun.

Really hope this graphics update delivers though, the game looks pretty 'flat'.

Oh, and can confirm the UPCB board works with this in legacy mode. Seems a little finicky getting it to detect two at once though, but once it has done, works great.

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
King looks way shittier in the "After" portion. Her clothing textures are far worse, her skin looks off, and parts of her have white outlines from the lighting effects that shouldn't (is her bow-tie made of shiny plastic or metal?).

I get a feeling that this update is going to be a double edged sword.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
More details and screenshots:

https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/detail/4134/20161205-kofxiv.html

mmcafe translation: http://www.mmcafe.com/news/posts/10228.html

Ver 1.10 Additions:

- 50 Additional player icons (all selectable from start)
- 100 Additional titles (each unlocked per online match)
- Game now has 6 colors per character (previously 4)
- More Spectator SE varieties (for party battle mode)
- Misc function updates and fixes

I have noticed some minor changes in the stages too, like the addition of the custom message in the training stage. No balance changes in this update.

Ver.2.0 Demo - Playable characters:

Kyo Kusanagi
Iori Yagami
Shunei
King of Dinosaurs
Terry Bogard
Yuri Sakazaki
Leona

20161205-kofxiv-09.jpg

20161205-kofxiv-10.jpg

20161205-kofxiv-08.jpg

20161205-kofxiv-11.jpg

You can find comparison pics here (scroll down): https://twitter.com/gatoray_kof

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I want alternate costumes.

If you don't, don't buy them.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I want alternate costumes.

If you don't, don't buy them.

Ditto. I don't think it would be too terribly difficult to provide some. There were plenty in KOF: MI and MI 2.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
If anyone is interested in the PS4 themes, the Fatal Fury, South America, and NESTS girls themes are now available in the US PSN store.