KoF XIV…or how I became less of a curmudgeon

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Running a fever today, so automatically no work tomorrow, and holed up in the guest room in order to not get others sick.

With no set bedtime, and a backlog of PS4 games sitting in front of me, I pop in KoF XIV.

Yes, there are some characters so stupid and unappealing that I wouldn’t choose them even if presented as 2D sprites in Real Bout 3.

There is a lot to like though.

The pace is fast, combos feel fun, and the cancel systems feel great to use. The weight/speed ratio of the characters feels *right*. To get an idea of what feels wrong to me…jump in deep for a Xup in SF V. It feels ponderous in comparison.

I’ve been stuck on fit and finish to my own detriment. There is some 3D out there for me, after all. Good gameplay is sugar that makes the 3D aesthetic medicine go down.

What game(s) won you over, by suprise?

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Samurai Shodown 2019 - I'm a staunch SS3 evangelist (yes, THREE). While I enjoy all the SS games to one degree or another (except 6, it's trash), 3 is by far my barometer for what I look for in an SS game.

When SS 2019 came out, I just passed it over for the first couple years and didn't even bother with it. Much to my surprise, when I finally picked it up a couple years ago I was pleasantly surprised that it felt like a mix of SS3 and SS5S. It is fast and dangerous like 3, but has the skill and depth of 5 Special.

Now that the PC version has rollback netcode and it isn't shit to play online, it's even better now. I don't like it quite as much as 3 or 5 Special, but for a modern fighting game it has all the core elements I expect from a top-tier SNK fighter.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Nice, this is exactly the kind of response I was hoping to see!

SamSho 2019 also caught me by surprise. Darli is really fun to play.

I’m a big fan of 3 also. I prefer the wildness of the the original rev, to the hitbox-fixed version. @yagamikun what’s your take on the hitbox-fixed SS3?
It's a different game. Full-stop. There are a few fighting games where I'll say with full confidence that I'm quite good, and SS3 is one of them.

SS3, no matter the version, is a polarizing game and always has been. It's absolutely dangerous, and one of the most honest footsies games of counters ever created. Doing anything to mess with the formula, including all the other additions to the formula like being able to rebalance counter % damage and damage output further mar the experience. There are some stupid infinites in the game, which is honestly my only gripe. It's an incredible fighting game more people should put time into. @LWK had a great response to the original post a decade ago about the mod, and I'm in full agreeance.

Jank is just a part of classic fighting games. Hell, the broken mess that is vanilla Street Fighter Alpha 2 is still preferred today because of its jank, not in spite of it.

I don't do much with this YouTube channel anymore, but I put up some fun footage of a match between myself and my buddy a couple years back. Fun watch if you have a minute.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
That's really the key thing with 14. It just plays so damn good, and with its huge roster, there's plenty to love and easy to overlook the bad ones.

But yeah, if you haven't given 15 it's due yet, you're definitely going to enjoy that one.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I agree 10000% with Sam Sho 2019. I was expecting to hate it and it kept putting a smile on my face. High hopes for City of the Wolves.. really hope it feels more like Sam Sho 2019 and less like Kof 15.

If only SNK can nail the online at launch, it's their next hurdle to gain more fans.

I do like the KoF 15 roster though - the roster from launch has been incredible.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
It's a different game. Full-stop. There are a few fighting games where I'll say with full confidence that I'm quite good, and SS3 is one of them.

SS3, no matter the version, is a polarizing game and always has been. It's absolutely dangerous, and one of the most honest footsies games of counters ever created. Doing anything to mess with the formula, including all the other additions to the formula like being able to rebalance counter % damage and damage output further mar the experience. There are some stupid infinites in the game, which is honestly my only gripe. It's an incredible fighting game more people should put time into. @LWK had a great response to the original post a decade ago about the mod, and I'm in full agreeance.

Jank is just a part of classic fighting games. Hell, the broken mess that is vanilla Street Fighter Alpha 2 is still preferred today because of its jank, not in spite of it.

I don't do much with this YouTube channel anymore, but I put up some fun footage of a match between myself and my buddy a couple years back. Fun watch if you have a minute.
I agree with you about Jank... when people complain about "jank" I often wonder what they really are referring to. As a VF fan my brother bitches that the "game system is too janky" and I just feel like he doesn't really comprehend the complexities of it. The jank is the FEATURE.

SS3 is rad.