KOF XII Coming 31st Jan 2007

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Jeez, not even a beta test has been announced.....

They must still be working on it....which is good I guess...

shadowfamicom

Rugal's Thug
DecepticonZero said:
ugh...I hope your not talking about good times...that place sucks ass. The mvc2 machine with both sticks broken off is such a sweet setup... and metal slug 6 only had 4 buttons on it for the longest time. you live in mass the only arcade you should go to should be tokyo game action

yeah but its 71 miles away:crying: (im 7 miles north of Boston)

good times is not the best maintained arcade, but its 10X better then Tilt.... plus they have an asteroids cab which you cant find anywhere.....

i might go up there sometime this week as it sound really really nice..........

a Pop N' Music cab!!!!!!!

Taiko no Tatsujin 8!!!!!!!! F' yeah im soooooooo there..........

Edit: How much is it to get in?

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Violent Ryo said:
Jeez, not even a beta test has been announced.....

They must still be working on it....which is good I guess...

Yeah.

At first I found the idea of not having yearly KoFs a bit weird but now I think it was a smart move, this way SNKP can take their time and give the game more polish.

I'm really curious how the chara sprites will look like on Taito-X, hope they don't make them too anime-ish (which they probably will).

IoriYagami n8

Genjuro's Frog
I really expect them to look a lot like Guilty Gear sprites. I was hoping for something that was a bit more classic, but higher resolution, while also giving us animation quality similar to Third Strike (I'd even be happy with Garou). I doubt that happens though. I'm expecting GG sprites of SNK characters, if there isn't at least that much, I'll be somewhat disappointed at what I'll end up seeing for the next ten years.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'm a huge Shinkiro fan, loved his work a lot, it's much more organic and life-like than the distorted anime stuff they came up with afterwards. I wish the style of the new sprites would be a little more like it used to be, just more modern, kinda like Shinkiro's character illustrations in CFJ... Rose looked so awesome in it.

ShmengeTravel

Mature's Make-up Artist
I'm guessing there aren't any screenshots? Man, it would be nice to get an idea of what style they're going to take with the new graphics.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
heh

found this KoF XII Wiki entry:

"The King of Fighters XII (KOF XII) is to be the next installment of the King of Fighters series. SNK-Playmore has announced that it is abandoning the Atomiswave system and is moving its most popular game franchises to the Taito Type X2 arcade system. In addition to KOF XII, KOF Maximum Impact and a new Samurai Showdown game in 3D will be released on the new arcade system. KOF XII is expected to conclude the current saga in the King of Fighters storyline. The game is currently early in development, with only some preliminary sketches showing Elisabeth Blanctorche and Ash Crimson released.

It has also been revealed that the game will undergo a complete graphical overhaul, confirmed by Nona, artist in charge of the art in the The King of Fighters XI endings. All the sprites used in previous games for over 10 years will be dropped. The programmers have stated their intention is to create the "ultimate 2D fighting game". Nona reaffirmed this once again in this year's The King Of Fighters Year End Party 2006 in Tokyo."

So... Nona... anime... ah well.

Seems it will take some more time.

Here's a KoF XII presentation (YouTube) with the new logo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP-W4CTcK7s

...and a very short interview with Falcoon on Cyberfanatix (basically meaningless, as most interviews with the guy):

http://www.cyberfanatix.com/index.php?m=single&id=417

So far I could not find the Blanctorche and Ash official artwork mentioned in the Wiki entry.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
All I hope for is for them to retain the gritty/realistic look of KOF, I love it.

Oswalds sprite gives me great hope.

Its great that Nona is on board, if it was Falcoon then I would have been worried.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
Just knowing that it has been started is good news to me. :buttrock:

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I really hope we get to see reverse character angles on the 2P side, like in 3D fighters.

That would certainly be a characteristic of the ultimate 2D game...

Kap

New Challenger
Takumaji said:
So far I could not find the Blanctorche and Ash official artwork mentioned in the Wiki entry.

tx_tgs2006_typex2_01.jpg

I thought everyone saved it on their hard drives. =|

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Kap said:
I thought everyone saved it on their hard drives. =|

I'm always late to the party, you know... thanks anyway. :)

The illustrations aren't all that different to the current versions... ah well.

derboo said:
Is there a place to look at them on the net?

OT:

Here's a screenshot of the player select screen with Rose, look at the faces and shadows... that's right the style I love, it's clean, powerful and well-proportioned:

cfj-player-select.jpg

Here are some more:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpagesscreens/920737.asp?pagenum=1

Kap

New Challenger
Alex0916 said:
Damn I want to see pics of this game already!

I wouldn't expect any footage of this game before the end of 2007. They have to create and animate at least 50 characters from scratch, a tough job. Not only that, they have to think of new gameplay as well. KoFXI had about 47 characters, right? It would be a stupid move if they cut down characters near the end of a saga.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
What's more, SNKP wants to make the "ultimate 2D fighting game"...

I wish them all the best of luck...

barf

Maxima's Barber
Great news, sprites redone from scratch is what was needed... but that will take a long long time to make.

I hope they don't end up like Athena in SVC, looking good in her waiting stance, but horrible during movement.

Kap

New Challenger
If they want to make the ultimate fighting game, they should give mid-bosses more than 2 frames *Silver*.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Redone sprites? REDONE SPRITES? What took so long. I'm so excited for this!

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Kap said:
I wouldn't expect any footage of this game before the end of 2007. They have to create and animate at least 50 characters from scratch, a tough job. Not only that, they have to think of new gameplay as well. KoFXI had about 47 characters, right? It would be a stupid move if they cut down characters near the end of a saga.

Most likely they have already started the work and I think the game will be released during 2007 (the end of the year most likely), so we should see more stuff a bit earlier.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Seems this one has been in the works for quite a while, even before KOFXI perhaps.

I remember one of SNK ppl saying that Nona was working on the next KOF so everyone assumed it was 2005 (now known as XI) but when the time came it was another artist that worked on it (can't remember the name) so I was quite stumped. He was prolly involved with 12 since then.

Kap

New Challenger
I think so too *about them working on it for a while*, but 2003 and XI both came out near the end of the year, right? Maybe it's becoming a pattern. I'd rather have them taking the time instead of rushing it.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
icon14.gif
for Thuggles' new location.

And also for KOF XII, whenever the hell it finally comes out.