KoF Psychology - Your Comments

Ellipse

NEST Puppet
Well, I can TRY to distract that dude while you play.

But if it does degenerate into a fight, Mattxima would probably participate. Me. . .well. . .probably not. They're not worth my time.

Tracy

vulvair

n00b
You seemed to have a trick to use at repetition to beat this guy, because h3e wqas playing cheap that is justified, but obviousely he didn't see things that way. One solution would be to try varying you r game against him, even if this means losing because a: he will probaby feel less angree about losing if your gameplay varies b: yuor game will improve also and c you will lose sometimes which will sooth his embers.

But in reality this probably isn't gonna help, and taking a break is probably the best thing you can do. I've only played KOF a few times against humans but have speant so much time playing alone and I still love the game, it just takes a different slant for me, as it's more about combos, story mode, survival mode etc.

Over here in london I only know one arcade that has KOF 2000 but the Jostick is completely fucked and I arcade controls anyway.

Sorry this is all so OT, but you can enjoy the game fom the comfort of your home, and your girlfriend wil eventually improve...

------------------
I want you - without your head

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krizalid:
I don't see how Chang in Armor mode can do any harm. He doesn't have many chip moves and u don't get infinite dms in armor do u?
If he attacks, block and dodge if he has u in a corner. Teleporters like K' and Vanessa are good here.
I love reading other peoples' KOF stories.

*LONG POST ALERT*

I may not be 100% correct on this, but he does have great abilities for Guard Crushing with that ball of his. Using this, consider an overly aggressive Chang charging at you doing short hops and CD attacks... any hit you try to do may register a little bit, but doesn't slow him down, or any of his attacks... get the picture? An obviously infuriating 14 seconds of fighting. In nature, you want to counter and fight back. This is one of the only times in KOF where unless you're using Chang as well, the only thing you can do is RUN LIKE HELL!!! And personally, I hate doing that...
biggrin.gif

It's funny to hear all of these game playing horror stories. I've been one of the lucky ones... I only become "victim" of these stories when I play Capcom titles. One in particular stands out in my mind in NYC, when I was playing MvC. I was playing against some players who was keeping the game interesting... we were purposely choosing all the weirdest characters and tried doing all the silliest things we could do, but at the same time making each fight an actively furious one.

Some stranger walks in, and selects the dreaded Wolverine/Red Venom team against me. I instantly said to my friends, "Uh oh... looks like the fun is all over now!" and the guy I was playing against got TOTALLY offended. This was BEFORE the game even got started.

I kinds shrugged it off... but then, as he was doing his combos, I would hear him mumble things like "Take that, you f******," or the ever popular Capcom phrase, "You can't cunter that? You're such a scrub!" Of course, to fight fire with fire, I eventually started talking back. But because I was with my friends, I was saying things a little louder so they can hear them. Things like, "Wolverine? Lemme guess... another super jump... drill claw!!! Wait... here comes the foot! Gee, you'd think he'd stop being so damned predictable!". Eventually, I did lose the match to a patented FAQ Wolverine combo... (HEY... I was using Morrigan & Roll at the time with a Pure & Fun Striker! Forgive me!
biggrin.gif
). I ended with, "Very good! Now tell me, which FAQ did you study to learn THAT move?" I didn't mind taking the loss, for playing against him wasn't a pleasant experience in the first place... and I really didn't want to pay against him again. I could have taken a more effective team and actually beat him, but with tension building I just seperated myself from the machine. I thought that was the end of it... UNTIL I found the kid waiting for me outside trying to pick a "real" fight. I thought, "How pathetic! I let the kid win, what ELSE does he want?". He was DEMANDING ME to make an apology to him... which of course, I refused. Tensions got even more flared up... he actually started to push me around. I told him, "Look... this AIN'T Street Fighter... get out of my way or I WILL hurt you." Wrong thing to say (I guess)... he started to push me around some more. Finally, I did a nice little football rush to get through him, and that's when all hell broke loose. He tried to grab me, and punch me, etc, etc... I bodyslammed him. Then started to scream at him, "I told you to leave me the F*** ALONE and GET OUT OF MY WAY!"

My friends and security broke us up... and after all the dust settled, I was the one banned from the arcade because I was the older guy beating on someone younger (who was 23... I was 25 at the time. WOW! What an age difference!)... even though the other guy started the fight. I wouldn't have done anything to the kid, but he was the one that was physical with me first... and continued to be physical until I eventually retaliated. You can take ONLY so much, you know.
frown.gif

I've had similar bouts of words in CvS. One in particular was in Boston... I had just stepped in to play CvS and joined in against someone for a nice fight. Of course, not warmed up or anything, I was taken out VERY easily... throughout the match, the guy was making all sorts of wise cracks, and even ended by saying "This game may be a little too complicated for you... Puzzle Figher is over there!".

OUCH... but I took the blow and said, "Just wait... that was just my first match. I PROMISE it won't be so easy next time."

Finally got a chance to warm up, and was getting into the groove. One of his friends (who had GREAT skill) joined in to play... I was looking forward to playing him because I knew I would have been in for a great game. But of course, as soon as he selected his characters, the LOUDMOUTH would pressure him into letting him play the game instead. THAT's when I started in with the comments... "You know, I'd rather much play your friend here. It's his money, and he obviously has MORE SKILL than you do."

That made the loudmouth play his "best"... everytime he got a combo, he would make weird Bruce Lee noises (which is funny, considering that he was Vietnamese). So, I started to return the insults as I went on to my second character of Blanka... someone that I know I can beat anyone with since I've used him for years (but of course, HE didn't know that). Everytime he used his Ryu, I was able to do something to counter it. And every hit, I made sure to let him know it was HE who was getting hit. If he jumped in the air, I'd jump straight up with Blanka and do a HP and said, "Get out of the air! Who said you could jump?". When he fireballed, I slid underneath and countered.... "OOOPS! You're shoe is untied!". He got even more frustrated... so frustrated in fact that he gave the machine back to his friend with only a grain of energy left and said, "I can't play against this cheap s***"!" Upon his departure, I told him, "You know... Tetris is a GREAT GAME for beginners! Only 6 characters, three moves to master and one button! KInda like how you play this game, but you'll at least win on that one. It's over there right next to Puzzle Fighter!"
biggrin.gif

Hmmmm... cheap for obviously countering? Luckily, that never escalated into a fight... but I did feel sorry for his friend. If he actually would have played me a full fight, he probably would have won.

[This message has been edited by VinylBoy (edited April 23, 2001).]

Mike Tham

n00b
Wow. Its very sad to read all these sad arcade stories. I've never had any bad KOF experiences. The worst was this guy who using Robert. He used the hienshippukyaku every chance he got. When he was losing, he would keep jumping back, even when he was at the end of the screen. Guess what's he's other character? That's right, Benimaru.

Now I play KOF (mostly 98) with a group of 4 friends but one thing I notice is that the better we get, the cheaper we play. We play such a 'safe' game that it gets very frustrating. For example, abusing Yashiro's cC or using a lot of vertical hops. No one rolls forward anymore etc etc. We use CD counters all the time because it is so difficult to land a hit.

Playing a safe game with KOF is very frustrating and boring but no one likes to lose. I don't feel as good when I win as well. The fighter with more energy always waits for the one with less and manages to counter every move since we know the game so well now. I remember reading about this KOF tournament in France or something and the champion played an extremely safe game with Iori and Chris. The person who wrote the report critisized the champion for playing such a boring game. The problem is that the more you know about the game, you'll more likely take the safest route and play safe.

The other thing I simply cannot understand is why normal throws are banned in melb arcades???!!!!!! I see ppl saying sorry everytime they normal throw their opponent. WTF is wrong with normal throw????? The only way I could get the guy countinously jumping back with a non-grappler was to normal throw. He could block any attack in the air and block my attack and then tick with another hienshippukyaku. Yes, there are several ways around this but they are high risk.

I really want someone to explain to me why no normal throw in KOF????? Everytime I play a turtler I just want to throw them. There's nothing better than walking towards your opponent from half screen and normal throw.

vulvair

n00b
This is my 'arcade horror story':
(this dates from a few years back)
Each year in england we have this charity day called red nose day which involves a lot of celebrities pretending they are selfless ppl with no egos and thousands of school kids dressing up really stupidly asking ppl in the street to donate (you can guess what group I belong to
biggrin.gif
).

So at the age of roughly 14 I'm in the arcade with a sande on one foot, a snow boot on the other, white tennis shorsts over blue jeans and a pairof boxer shorts on my head.

I'm playing either World Heroes or Streat fighter 2 CE and there's some older guy behind going "you're gonna lose you're" and "oooh that must heart" whenever I lost a round etc etc etc, so eventually I do lose, but the whole time there was so much anger building up inside, by the time I'd lost my hands were close to shaking with anger and I spun around and hit him across the face, we argues, got split up but I obviousely did not look at all menacing kitted out the way I was
biggrin.gif

(this is the firsrt time I've thought of this stories in years btw)

------------------

vulvair

n00b
About whqt you were sayong with regards to normal throws, in belgium when I first started out on SF2 we had this thing called 'fair play' which mantr you weren't alowed to attack someone who wa sdizzy, any of you used to play like that?
A friend of mine from Hong Kong told me the winner of a round automatically concedes the seccond round, is that true of Hong Kong? (though this does not apply to KOF and VS games)

------------------

BooBoo

New Challenger
When I played kof regularly, the players were always trying to use the strongest (read: "cheapest") tactics possible. I don't see it as really being cheap, though, because it makes me figure out ways to beat it, and I improve as a player. For the longest time, Mary's Jump D and Stand B, Beni Stand B and chippie game, etc etc, I just couldn't beat them. I was too stuck in XMen VS SF mode actually, I was always trying to "RUSH THAT SHIT DOWN", lol, that tactic doesn't work too well in KOF...

But I got used to abused tactics, and eventually developed a feel for how to beat most of them. I use some of those abused tactics, too, they certainly help.
biggrin.gif

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
i also had my trauma since i have kof 2k in my house a lot of people go there (it's a restaurant) sure there are these 3 guys which play pretty defensive. but lately we have beaten them badly. my cousin, me, and my friend. we normally play against two of these three guys. of course they get in our balls but we learn a lot we see out mistakes, what combos we use, and counters and so forth. that way when we go to play against the best guys we know we can play better. look we have rules, we made up. like talking to a player during a game is very anti-gamer as well as hiting the machine and cheering up, making pressure among ourselves or losing just because we feel like it. if we want to ask someone for a combo we go he dude how'd uyou do that. it normally works and so we try to make it long if we want to make friend with the guys other than that. everytime someone like the 3 i talked to you about before we simply either smile and look among us or just laugh of course unsarcastically or even just stay quite like if we didn't hear them. however you might try to make friends with him to play elsewhere (if there is more variety)

jeff bogard

Muchiko

Mr. Big's Thug
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BooBoo:
When I played kof regularly, the players were always trying to use the strongest (read: "cheapest") tactics possible. I don't see it as really being cheap, though, because it makes me figure out ways to beat it, and I improve as a player. For the longest time, Mary's Jump D and Stand B, Beni Stand B and chippie game, etc etc, I just couldn't beat them. I was too stuck in XMen VS SF mode actually, I was always trying to "RUSH THAT SHIT DOWN", lol, that tactic doesn't work too well in KOF...

But I got used to abused tactics, and eventually developed a feel for how to beat most of them. I use some of those abused tactics, too, they certainly help.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I know your Benimaru is pretty good in '98...

But in 2000, the good Benimaru cross up all day. I had the chance to play against the champ. of 2000 over here and his Benimaru is crazy. His every other move is a crossup, so fast and so confusing. Even his Jhun is crazy, he can do two steps, pause, two steps, pause, two steps, DM (looks so awesome). I have tried that Jhun combo all day, could never land two steps after a pause; I can't even do a DM after four consecutive steps (and I ALWAYS play Jhun, yet the combo is impossible for me to do (it's all timing)).

He also plays 3rd Striker and when I saw him play, he got like 16+ wins against a group of Capcom players... then he just left his game and came back to 2000. I didn't play him in SF3 so I don't know how good he is compared to SHGL.

BooBoo

New Challenger
Sup Yasa. Man, I don't play kof2k, all your Jhun talk just confuses me, hehe. Yeah, but seriously, I know Beni isn't just about Stand B and chippie, he can be aggressive cuz of his crossups and hi-priority normals, that's one reason I like to use him. Good zoner, but has the ability to generate good offense, too.

And 3rd strike, I lost interest in that game long ago, I dunno why, it's sort of fun, but I just prefer to play MVC2 rather than 3S, not sure why.

Hey, just curious, you still play Kaillera? I don't really play it much anymore unless it's for Xmen VS SF. KOF98's desync thing is just infuriating, hehe.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Muchiko:
Yeah, I know your Benimaru is pretty good in '98...

But in 2000, the good Benimaru cross up all day. I had the chance to play against the champ. of 2000 over here and his Benimaru is crazy. His every other move is a crossup, so fast and so confusing. Even his Jhun is crazy, he can do two steps, pause, two steps, pause, two steps, DM (looks so awesome). I have tried that Jhun combo all day, could never land two steps after a pause; I can't even do a DM after four consecutive steps (and I ALWAYS play Jhun, yet the combo is impossible for me to do (it's all timing)).

He also plays 3rd Striker and when I saw him play, he got like 16+ wins against a group of Capcom players... then he just left his game and came back to 2000. I didn't play him in SF3 so I don't know how good he is compared to SHGL.

FacJoe

New Challenger
Solution?

Dun ever go to HK
biggrin.gif

------------------
Look Dick Look. Look at Jane. See Jane Laugh and Play

Amakusa

n00b
The way you guys talk I should be so lucky! I trash talk, sure, but it's mainly in reflection of my own mistakes, so I'm probably the only one at the 'cade verbally abusing themselves. Not sure if, after a whole series of "Oops" and "Dammit"s, when I win, the other guy... wonder if they get pissed (they might if they get straighted by Yuri, though...). I've never played a trash-talker before; *I'm* the trash talker in my neck of the woods (and I almost got into a fight for it once, but I convinced the other guy I wasn't worth the effort. I'm way too good at doing that, convincing others I'm not worth beating up... it's like an acquired skill).

Oh well. My horror story comes from Rival Schools. I played this between DDR games and this other DDR player would come up and challenge me, easily hand my ass to me. Of course I walk away to go see how far in line I'm at at the DDR machine, and not thirty seconds later the other guy follows, having left the game because I wasn't there to challenge him back. And we did this like three times in the same day. That guy really pissed me off, but I didn't say anything because I knew I'd hit him (and it's really not a good place to be seen assaulting people).

------------------
"I found Kagami's sword in a junkyard."

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
BooBoo - Yes, as people get better their styles change... and usually it comes up to a point where I can practically PREDICT what they're gonna do.

The thing is I kinda get tired of countering the same stuff over and over again. I don't know if you understand my frustration or not. I know how to counter it but since it's the same stuff (namely being extremely defensive and maybe going on the defensive once in a while) that's pretty much done by everybody it starts becoming a chore.

The only thing I'm thinking in my mind is to "Rush that shit down!". However the other guy's just sitting there waiting for me to come to him. When I choose to use his tactics and just sit there, I get bored. I win 50% of the time, but I get no satisfaction outta the win sometimes because I didn't feel I earned it and also because I didn't learn anything new from the challenge. Why? Because it's the exact same thing that was thrown at me when they previously challenged me.

---

However I do have a good story to tell you all today:
I used to challenge this guy who was a *major* turtler. Used Kyo, Terry, King, and Seth striker. I used to challenge him and get irritated at his tactics (that's even if I win) and used to mutter a lotta stuff towards his direction about what he did. Unlike the Chinese dude this guy actually remained silent despite my long string of comments. Every time I was challenged from then on I used to mutter questionable... comments in his direction.

Today, I go to the arcades. An acquaintance is there challenging that turtler. Since there's no boring experts to challenge against, I jump in and challenge and beat the acquaintance, turtler comes in. We play random.

Somehow, by playing random all the tension's relieved. We actually were talking to each other since we both weren't so intent on winning (we both kept getting randoms we weren't good at paying so we mucked around). So we both actually were saying stuff like "whoa! how'd you do that" or "ah crap i missed!" and we were actually having a good time.

After a few games of him and the acquaintance challenging me, the dude beat me. I got off the machine and looked at him and we both did that thing guys do to say "hey, it's cool, seeya later". You know, where you kinda just... nod your head toward their direction.

I don't know, maybe there's hope for me yet.
smile.gif

------------------
I eat King sized pancakes for breakfast, Terry-aki burgers for lunch, and meat Jhun with sloppy Joe and Kim chee for dinner. All I need is Kyo to BURN'em.

Mystical

n00b
Iie-Kyo,
Don't worry about that guy. I believe he's just irritated because he lost the game. I'm a chinese myself and I'm pretty disgusted with the way he acted.

Continue playing your KOF and just ignore the scum for now. Just try not to play with him, that'll be the best.

------------------
"Be your true mind..."
- Revelations Persona -

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
I think I'm like one of the very few Koreans that play KoF at my arcade.

Mystical - A Chinese friend of mine said the same thing.

Looks like I'll just avoid my encounters with that dude during my break from KoF.

------------------
I eat King sized pancakes for breakfast, Terry-aki burgers for lunch, and meat Jhun with sloppy Joe and Kim chee for dinner. All I need is Kyo to BURN'em.

Muchiko

Mr. Big's Thug
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iie-Kyo:
I think I'm like one of the very few Koreans that play KoF at my arcade.

Mystical - A Chinese friend of mine said the same thing.

Looks like I'll just avoid my encounters with that dude during my break from KoF.

I know quite a lot of Korean players. Well in Korea, they only play Tekken and KOF.

I also know good players that are Phillipines and such... but I haven't seen a decent Mexican/White/Black players; basically, anyone that's not Asian.

There is this one racist remark from my Chinese friends when all the Mexicans were the first to lose to this KOF2000 Tourney, that KOF is not for Mexicans... it's funny because KOF is probably the most popular arcade in Mexico.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Muchiko:
There is this one racist remark from my Chinese friends when all the Mexicans were the first to lose to this KOF2000 Tourney, that KOF is not for Mexicans... it's funny because KOF is probably the most popular arcade in Mexico.

Mmph.

I wonder what those Chinese players say about me when I beat'em using their own cheap strageties. Like I said, it's not only good to give'em a dose of their own medicine, but to make sure they choke on it too.

------------------

FacJoe

New Challenger
Originally posted by Muchiko:
<STRONG> I know quite a lot of Korean players. Well in Korea, they only play Tekken and KOF.

I also know good players that are Phillipines and such... but I haven't seen a decent Mexican/White/Black players; basically, anyone that's not Asian.

There is this one racist remark from my Chinese friends when all the Mexicans were the first to lose to this KOF2000 Tourney, that KOF is not for Mexicans... it's funny because KOF is probably the most popular arcade in Mexico.</STRONG>

a-ehrm...

i believe u are acquainted with PTR. becos of my shittiness, I still havent had my butt kicked by him in KOF...

Kukacherrn

n00b
You played your way and won! It's his own fault for using the same stuff every time, I hate players like that, especially turtlers. But hey! In the end you won and he didn't. That's what it's all about.

Muchiko

Mr. Big's Thug
Originally posted by FacJoe:
<STRONG>
a-ehrm...

i believe u are acquainted with PTR. becos of my shittiness, I still havent had my butt kicked by him in KOF...</STRONG>

I haven't played PTR but I've heard he's good. I don't know what your point is but I'm just saying that I, yes me, haven't seen a decent KOF player that isn't Asian.

But since I've seen those French Salem/Bruno played in tourney videos, I guess I've seen good non-Asian players.

It's just that in USA, no one plays KOF.
:confused: