KOF on PS2

EliteDoomMaster

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I've been interested in buying KOF 00/01, and 02/03 on PS2 in the little bundle packages they have here. But are they any better then that for MVS or AES?(I have neither, so I'm curious.) And if they have differences, what may they be?(Don't have a modded or JP ps2 either, refering to US versions)

Last edited:

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple
kof 2003 is the only better than arcade port of the KOF games on PS2 imo

i was dissapointed with 2k2's stiffiness compared to arcade, other than that you will love these games...especially if you have a friend that likes or will play kof

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
KoF2K is pretty cool, don't care much for 01 though. Not played the others so can't really comment on them.

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Violent Ryo said:
i was dissapointed with 2k2's stiffiness compared to arcade

The controls felt about the same to me, but that's me.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
All in all the ports came out okay.
2k's Party mode is bareable for the past years intros.
Moreso than 2k1 because you can switch out your character.

2k1 seems like a good porting.
Whip's Desert Eagle is finally present, but sans gun. :spock:
The Kula/K' Ending cuts out after the first frame.
The intro is hacked to hell. If it were't for all that HK comic junk, I'd let it idle in demo.
But, thanks to that awful intro, I tend to play it least of all.

2k2 feels sweet after setting the screen to arcade size. Even after setting the bgs to the new style it's visually pleasing. Gameplay feels okay. And knowing you'll have Shingo, King, Goenitz, and Geese there is a plus--even if they don't appear all that often in normal play.

2k3 feels awkward all around. The porting is good enough, just my taste in gameplay is tweaked where I don't care for it.
No real game cuts that I can tell.
Bossess and Maki being easily available is kinda' fun.

Endings are released as you beat a team in team survival in 2k3. It's nice, but if you play through survival pretty well and view the endings, it takes away from the incentive to play the game.

If you have the old style PS2, it's worth getting a stick. I reccommend the Pelican Universal. If you have the slim PS2 (Darn that still sounds like a cigarette to me), do NOT under any sircumstance get the universal, as it'll burn out your dual shock. A regular PS2 Pelican will be okay though. (So I've read.)

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
They are all great if you don't have the MVS/AES versions. All allow you to set it to look like the original or the "enhanced"....'02/'03 pack is the best. '03 specifically. I ALMOST prefer it on my PS2 over the MVS version I have. [if it weren't for the cab I would like the PS2 version better] Also has an arranged soundtrack. Get both!

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
2002 did feel a little stiff at first. After a while I got used to it. 2003 is damn near perfect to me. I would get the 02/03 first then 00/01. Unless you really like Strikers.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
":eek_2:" If KOF 2003 is better than arcade perfect on the PS2, then I am sure glad that I did not spend $350.00 for the AES cart. Some of the sprites are horrible in that game.

Last edited:

Akira1422

Zero's Secretary
i dont really care for the sprites on 2k3, even with the soft option. I compare it with my MVS cart and can tell a MAJOR difference. I hate the new soundtrack too
it's still damned good tho

LaParka

n00b
Is there any difference between the PS2 ports and the XBox ones? Do the XBox ones have XBox Live feature?

Hei

New Challenger
I don't particulary like 2000/2001... the ports seem to be ok. Over here we have to purchase 2002 seperate from 2003 - somehow I think this effects the overall quality. Very good ports for both, imo. Also its fun to buy people's "upgrades" for the PS2 versions of '02 and '03. I think with the X-arcade plugged into a PS2 2003 out-does my MVS copy.

recon_zero

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I think the ports are OK. While 2001 is a good port, nice graphics, i prefer 2003. This port is perfect, even a little better in some aspects. AST rule. Load times are nowhere to be found. excelent.

i am looking to complete this with 2002 and soon to be released NeoWave (Or one of these) so i think, get PS2 2003, or get all if you are a fan, or get all PS2 if you are short of money.

EDIT: It is just me or DC ports have better graphics?

Last edited:

sinister

n00b
2000: not that different than the ps one version of 99(problem with original game)
2001:stiff controlls. Ugly Art,bad music(problems with original Game
2002:plays well. Best out of ps2 games
2003:good graphics,nice options and feels nice.

I want to see more ps2 kofs