KOF New Wave impressions

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Haha I see me and Fran agree. I should really start reading threads before popping in replies..
Oh well.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
nazi muerto abono pa mi huerto said:
what does the fifth button?

anyone have obtained the new chars?

i wanna see vannessa artwork :drool_2:

it triggers heat mode. apparently.

the game is readily available in Mexico and Peru. I haven't seen it anywhere nor have I seen it for sale online, and I think there are no cabs in the US either (or atleast very, very few). I think this game is to have a limited run worldwide.

dakingofzumunda

Robert Garcia's Butler
An arcade up here, is suppose to have it the middle or third week of this month.

I'll have my own impressions once I see this sucker running in action.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
taitai said:
After banging away at KOF New Wave at the AMOA expo, I've got this to report.

A) The new Heat mode is cool.

B) The stock Atomiswave joysticks blow

C) The new fighting system is fucking weird.

D) The stock atomis wave joysticks blow.

E) The sprites they use for this game better not be the new sprites for KOF Rebout.

F) Have I ever said how bad the Atomiswave sticks are?

Did you mention how much the joysticks blow?!! :make_fac:

The new fighting system takes a little bit to get used to, I'm not too fond of the button position though if you're used to Street Fighter-type games, it's okay. It handles like most KoF games: the first couple of levels are dirt easy then the defense kicks in. I got to the boss the first time playing it but got my ass handed to him. He starts with a super attack that CANNOT be blocked and takes off roughly 60% damage. OUCH!!!

Characters sprites...eh but my God!!! WHAT KIND OF BATTLE COSTUME IS ATHENA WEARING?!! Who was once one of the cutest fighters is now visually one of the ugliest!!! <GROAN!!!> :eek_2:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
the reason i gotta play neo wave is because the boss

GEESE HOWARD IS THE BOSS HAHAHAHAHAHA l0lZZZZZ

FrostbayneAucti

Tung's Hair Stylist
taitai said:
It'll be worth it when I can play it NOT ON A SHITTY SAMMY CAB WITH SHITTY SAMMY STICKS AT A TRADE SHOW.

other than that. it's :buttrock:

Uh oh! Time to hit Happs controls. My sammy cab is on the way. Thanks for the heads up about the sticks.

Two more "Competitions"

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I just want to mention the game is now available at coinopexpress for 895$:

LINK

Not a bad price taking care it's 2 months old and it should still do well in the arcades, and (as usual) it includes the mobo.

FrostbayneAucti

Tung's Hair Stylist
I'd love to buy it but I'm not buying an extra motherboard just to get it. But sammy said sometime this year they will start selling carts alone.

Fat Cat Lim 2

Kuroko's Training Dummy
KOF:NW now at Playtime, Sydney. It just came in today, AUD1 a game, no card system.

Initial impressions:

Super Cancel Groove: Probably the best groove, since it's pretty much KOF2K2 style. No HSDM, but that doesn't matter.

Guard Break Groove (AKA with Just Defend): Just defence is a bit iffy, the guard break move is interesting and may be useful. Need to experiment more.

MAX2 Groove: Crap. Can't roll, can't do jack. Power bar doesn't automatically rise fast enough, and the HSDM isn't really that useful, IMO.

Heat mode (press E button): Not that useful either. You can't activate it in the middle of a combo, and while you do more damage, your lifebar slowly depletes like crazy. If you get hit or block a move, Heat mode ends. And if your lifebar is too low (1/6?), Heat mode will automatically stop or you won't be able to activate it.

Music restarts every round, GAH! KOF98 DC syndrome. >_<

Graphics don't look too bad on the big screen, so it looks okay so far. Still need to play it more though to give a proper assessment.

Am still looking around for the NW dipswitch codes so that I can ask the arcade technician to unlock the secret chars (aka Ramon, Vanessa, Kim, Orochi team).

dakingofzumunda

Robert Garcia's Butler
A local Arcade up here finally got NeoWave up and running.

Got to play two games out of it. One of which, took me all the way to Geese.

My first of impression of it in terms of looks was, this game doesn't look all that impressive. It plays like a dream, though and that's what really counts.

All the talk about it playing like KoF 2002 is exactly right. I jumped right in like a champ and got pretty far. All with a quarter(yes, it's that much up here) too.

Second time around, I got to a young looking Geese, looking much like Andy. This dude was extremely cheap, with his hits taking more than any of ours. I chose MAX Super also, instead of Just defend and the first option. This whole fight scene being in Geese's office reminded me a lot of Streets of Rage 2 final boss stage. All he needs is a machine gun.

Anyway, the backgrounds really didn't impress me all that much. Except the one that looks like the outside of a Castle. The music didn't do anything for me either. The character select screen has some vocal track going, if I remember right. Another stage had vocals also. Forgot which one, though.

Overall, it's not what I expected. Love the tight gameplay but could have been alittle more. It's basically playing KoF 2002 which isn't a bad thing. It's not going to make me buy an atomiswave board, that's for sure. I hope KoF 2004 and NGBC are a much better effort in taking the series to new limits. Till then, I wait for the ports.

Last edited:

Neco_Coneco

Enemy Chaser
Sorry, if stupid question but is there a release day for NeoWave PS2 port. thanks

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Neco_Coneco said:
Sorry, if stupid question but is there a release day for NeoWave PS2 port. thanks
I haven't even heard any port announced yet; we're just assuming it will come to PS2. Nothing on the Playmore schedule page yet, anyway.

Neco_Coneco

Enemy Chaser
SouthtownKid said:
I haven't even heard any port announced yet; we're just assuming it will come to PS2. Nothing on the Playmore schedule page yet, anyway.

Thanks. Seing how long it took for kof03 maybe by next Christmas :)