KOF difficulty level - What do most people consider fair?

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hey everyone,

SNK games (KOF in particular), are well known for their cheap AI tactics (Ie. 1-frame hit counters, reacting to your button presses instantly, etc) and other shenanigans that a real person probably could never pull off.

Does anyone know generally at what difficulty level the game starts to scale the AI unfairly at? I would assume for the sake of stealing quarters, Level-4 is probably where the AI starts getting a little cheap?

PS: Is it just me, or is Samurai Shodown 3's AI difficulty just insanely hard? I mean leaps and bounds more harder (at the same difficulty levels) than other Samurai Shodown games?

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Hey everyone,

SNK games (KOF in particular), are well known for their cheap AI tactics (Ie. 1-frame hit counters, reacting to your button presses instantly, etc) and other shenanigans that a real person probably could never pull off.

Does anyone know generally at what difficulty level the game starts to scale the AI unfairly at? I would assume for the sake of stealing quarters, Level-4 is probably where the AI starts getting a little cheap?

PS: Is it just me, or is Samurai Shodown 3's AI difficulty just insanely hard? I mean leaps and bounds more harder (at the same difficulty levels) than other Samurai Shodown games?

I normally start with MVS mode and work my way up. I don't think any of them I have played a lot 94-98 and 03 are very hard at all on any level except mini bosses, and final bosses. Then it just comes down to learning the cheese.

Samurai Spirits 3 is ridiculous. I posted a thread a few months back on the difficulty. I find it very hard, but there are people out there who at least make it to the final boss without many issues, or even 1cc it. I'm not one of those people, at least not yet.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
depends on what game you're playing. i find that kof 94 and 95 is hard even on the easiest settings. but from 96 onward, level 4 is fair.

as for the difficulty of samurai shodown 3, although i agree that it's the hardest game in the series, the difficulty is a highlight of the game and certainly not cheap. the ai is so satisfyingly responsive that it gives the player the need to calculate the next move. no possibility for button mashing here.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Instead of a practice mode, I'll normally start at Level-2 to get the feel of a new fighting game and once that I understand the basic play mechanics and then kick it up to Level-4. Level-1 is stupid easy on just about everything.

If you plan on trying any fighting game records on Twin Galaxy, you have to be able to play at Level-8.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Hmmm....

When I play Fighting games, I usually play H2H, as fighting a human opponent usually more fun.

Except when practicing combos, or goofing around with glitches and counters. Then, a computer opponent will do. And, in that case, default game level (4) is fine for me.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
I think that at level 6 is when it very unfair.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I agree at about level 4 is the max before the hits get cheap.

On Sam Sho 3 that game is just brutal, but very satisfying. I think the difficulty is part of the fun in that game.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've never really changed the difficulty level so 4 it is. Some games I can beat, some I cannot.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
depends on what game you're playing. i find that kof 94 and 95 is hard even on the easiest settings. but from 96 onward, level 4 is fair.

as for the difficulty of samurai shodown 3, although i agree that it's the hardest game in the series, the difficulty is a highlight of the game and certainly not cheap. the ai is so satisfyingly responsive that it gives the player the need to calculate the next move. no possibility for button mashing here.

I'll pretty much second this here. The earliest of the KOF games were just hard no matter what for me so I never cared to bother much. 96 through 00 or so I played and they're fine on that default (4) setting if you apply yourself to learn as it's really not cheap as you just have to be smart and tactical with it.

SS3 is kind of the same way no mashing, must be tactical and think about things. While I can not do it and have not in a very long time, back in college (latter 90s) they had a NG 2 slot cab at my rec room and SS3 was in there for a long time. It took quite a few quarters, but I learned how to take that game down on a quarter using Shizumaru, Nakoruru, and my old SS1 fav Haohmaru. I've poked at it a bit on the 161in1 since I got it last May and I can get around 1/2 into it before struggling and shortly after getting wasted. I've not tried SS5 but of the others it was a toss up between SS2 and SS3 being hardest for me.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I always leave the games set at their default, which I believe is 4.

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
I'd say level 4 is fair!
Level 5 is hardcore where cpu can be brutal at times!
Level one is fine for me:lolz:

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Level 4 or 5 I guess. The only King of Fighters I always struggle to go through is 94. Something about those controls. Game just feels a tad too stiff. They really improved things in 95, at least enough to make it feel better.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
SS3 is only hard because you're probably playing it without the hit box fix.

klee123

Zero's Secretary
Level 4.

There's also a massive difference between KOF 94-95 and the newer titles.

I still have nightmares about Art of Fighting 2 on Arcade....

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Level 4.

There's also a massive difference between KOF 94-95 and the newer titles.

I still have nightmares about Art of Fighting 2 on Arcade....

I can not get past the second person in art of fighting 2

klee123

Zero's Secretary
I can not get past the second person in art of fighting 2

Pretty much the same boat. The earlier SNK fighters always had the CPU's where they can read your input commands and react accordingly.

The Mortal Kombat titles were just as guilty.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Pretty much the same boat. The earlier SNK fighters always had the CPU's where they can read your input commands and react accordingly.

The Mortal Kombat titles were just as guilty.

same here. the furthest i get in art of fighting 2 is the second or third opponent. but there was a time when me and my friends loved the difficulty. the gameplay of art of fighting 2 is soo good that we would play for hours on my mvs and have great time trying to get to geese.

but now i wish snk made a art of fighting special were they fixed the difficulty of the game.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Glad to hear others find KOF '94 nails. Any good guides for a KOF n00b like me?

I used to own '99 I never found it as hard as '94. Recently I decided to buy the KOF series in order and won't buy the next one till I can 1 credit it on normal... yes I really suck at KOF.

Last edited: