KOF 98 heading to the PS2!

kai

Kuroko's Training Dummy
what's neo geo online collection corner?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Looks like I will have to pick this one up.
Just incase all the KOF'98 mvs carts spontaneous combust. :kekeke:

Hakkai

Dodgeball Yakuza
15 Year Member
Considering that is was the only king of fighters that wasn't yet to be released for the ps2, I'm not suprised. Its probably going to be a rendition of KOF99 Dreammatch; who knows they may include an original arcade option as well. As stated it will definitely have online capabities (Probably only in Japan). When comparing to most of SNKP's releases of KOF games, they may or may not include other characters not available in the original release such as Geese Howard.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Dunno why you guys are acting surprised. This is old news. Orochi, then we expected '98 (speculations of another Re-bout since Nests was announced next). Then Falcoon confirmed this to be true, remember the interview?

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
yup, I remember hearing about this a while ago. Its cool though still. Personally I'm cool playing my MVS cart. If I had a PS2 though, I would get it. One more smaill reason to get a PS2 I guess.

I'm interested to see what changes they make and how it will turn out. The intro to the Dreamcast version was pretty cool, maybe we'll see something like that.

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member
Heard about this a while ago. If I didn't have it on MVS, I'd definitely pick it up. Pretty nice to see 98 getting a little love.

CarlosZ

Mickey's Coach
well in my case I have it on mvs but i liked that particular version so much im willing to put in some money to see how a redone version is :)

TheOne_99

Banned
I hope it's the arcade version and not the DC port. DC port has a slower speed and weird timings. It's not the same game on the DC. The arcade version was a lot more fluid. They can include the DC's cool intro in the gallery view but I hope the game is not based off the DC port.

Neo23

New Challenger
I would probably get this depending on the price, as I already have the MVS version. Been waiting like years for this for the PS2, at last they finally see the need.

Hakkai

Dodgeball Yakuza
15 Year Member
TheOne_99 said:
I hope it's the arcade version and not the DC port. DC port has a slower speed and weird timings. It's not the same game on the DC. The arcade version was a lot more fluid. They can include the DC's cool intro in the gallery view but I hope the game is not based off the DC port.

I like most 2D ports to the dreamcast because usually the speed of loading and playing are decent(ie. CVS2 is arcade perfect and Garou:MOTW is excellent). I find it peculiar that KOF99-DM has loading issuses because most of its backgrounds are rendered in 3D, which I didn't really appreciate as much; also does anyone else notice that the stages stay the same instead of changing throughout the battle as in the arcade version. I don't know what SNKP will decide to do about this issue or they'll just stick to or add the original arcade backgrounds. I wouldn't mind that they offer the arcade and arranged tracks on this game as well as an art gallery. I can also go with or without the anime intro but if they decide to release it in the US I hope they leave it uncensored (alcohol and blood) and possibly leave the original intro as a bonus.

Last edited:

GeoStigma

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I'll be camping NCSX to pre-order this when they finally release it.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
The ps2 KOF ports so far have been pretty good, so I have high hopes for this release.