KoF 96. Goenitz. Discuss.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I'm getting completely stomped by Goenitz. 50 credits on the cabinet, default difficulty setting, 42 credits left by the time I got to him and...total fail. Completely spammed with the cyclone attacks and whatever that grab move is where he picks you up by the head and destroys a 1/5th of your health bar. I dont think I've ever landed a max special move on him either... Tips? Best charaters??

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
My strategy:

Superjump away and throw out an attack. When he does his cyclone attack, just block. He should start manually charging his super meter after that (If he doesn't, keep blocking until he does.). Once he starts charging the meter, rush him with a jump-in combo that knocks down; or simply hit him with a jumping CD. Superjump away and start taunting to reduce his super meter energy. He may do another cyclone attack or try to charge his meter again. If it's the latter, repeat the above strategy.

To the end!

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
I'm getting completely stomped by Goenitz. 50 credits on the cabinet, default difficulty setting, 42 credits left by the time I got to him and...total fail. Completely spammed with the cyclone attacks and whatever that grab move is where he picks you up by the head and destroys a 1/5th of your health bar. I dont think I've ever landed a max special move on him either... Tips? Best charaters??

You are joking right? 96 is probably the easiest game ever, even on Lv8.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yeah, you need to start making the AI guess, it's as simple as that. People that play the CPU more than human opponents have a tendency to go all out for the attack simply 'cause they aren't used to the human mind as an opponent. I know it may sound silly, but treat the AI as if it was a human opponent, play mind games, be mindful of space and perhaps that will help you.

Also, learn to read your opponent. All the SNK bosses although very hard they do have a pattern, figure that out and go from there. This comes easy to me 'cause the first Fatal Fury was all about AI patterns, it almost felt like playing Megaman and trying to figure out what weapon to use on certain bosses. Just stop brawling aimlessly and learn how to dance brother.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
That sir, was great advice. These SNK boss charaters are rather brutal at first...until you learn how to dance with them:buttrock: I finally beat Goenitz about a week after I posted the topic, then I started playing KoF94 (by the way, I suck out loud at fighting games) and holy crap, that whole game felt totally different than KoF96 to me!

Rugal pounded the crap out of me until like you said about megaman, you just gotta pick the right gun haha...in Rugals case I found the basketball guys strong kick cancels every move Rugal does in the first round and then I just hid in the corner with Heavy D and spammed the uppercut and Rugal for the most part continued to walk right into it until I beat him...I know, totally cheap...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Glad to hear it brother. Hey haven't you heard? Winning is cheap!

You're better than you think man, if you can figure out Rugal and any other boss that comes at you, you are doing alright. Just don't forget to apply the same rule to human opponents, of course humans won't be don't have a predictable pattern but with practice you're gonna be reading between the lines in no time. Everyone has a pattern you just gotta k ow what triggers certain patterns on certain human opponents, so in short is all the same.

Fighting games are like a freestyle form of pong, you just go from one side to the other and insstead of making a goal you just beat their paddle with your own paddle. The less space they have to move their paddle the better, so corner games are always gonna work to your advantage.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Ha, that's a good way to look at it, much more effective than the "total panic and mash on the buttons" method I used to employ waaaaay back in elementary school on the local Mortal Kombat machine they had at the roller rink. Finally a decade later I'm trying fighting games again...well, time to throw on some GWAR videos and fire up the KoF 95' now and give that a play through:buttrock: