KOF '95: The Cheapest Bastard

Cheapest Bastard?

• Total voters

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
OK, so I have been playing this a lot recently thanks to my investment in the KOF Orochi Collection for PS2.

The CPU is one tough bitch, and some of the characters in particular are supremely cheap. At this point in time, the top 3 cheap bastards are:

1) Kim Kaphwan

He is a charge character? You would never know it playing the CPU!

2) Yuri Sakazaki

This bitch has almost NO vulnerability on ANY of her moves. Think you have jumped her fireball successfully? Think again. At best, she will block you. At worst, it is time to eat an uppercut.

3) Billy Cane

You move, you eat pole.

Vote for the cheapest bastard, or add your own thoughts.

Really want to edit the poll now....

Last edited:

Neo a_bomb

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
hanafudaX said:
OK, so I have been playing this a lot recently thanks to my investment in the KOF Orochi Collection for PS2.

The CPU is one tough bitch, and some of the characters in particular are supremely cheap. At this point in time, the top 3 cheap bastards are:

1) Kim Kaphwan

He is a charge character? You would never know it playing the CPU!

2) Yuri Sakazaki

This bitch has almost NO vulnerability on ANY of her moves. Think you have jumped her fireball successfully? Think again. At best, she will block you. At worst, it is time to eat an uppercut.

3) Billy Cane

You move, you eat pole.

Vote for the cheapest bastard, or add your own thoughts.

The other two characters are basic. With billy you need certain characters to throw projectiles to coax him into attacking blindly then counter. I really like using terry against billy. His light crackshot hard power dunk combo is the ish nana. and the ild jump in d power geyser that puts his ass in the ground good. Think twice about jump kicks though.

a_bomb

hanafuda

So you think Billy is cheaper than Kim?

Fair enough.

While Billy is definitely cheap, I find him easier to beat than Kim because he takes the cheapness one step too far and opens up weaknesses.

Kim on the other hand is evil. The second you are vulnerable you will eat Hienzan, regardless of whether you are mid move or not. On top of that, if you play defensively he will throw you with amazing accuracy.

The only weakness I have found so far is to dodge when he jumps at you, as there is a good chance you can avoid whatever is coming your way and then throw him. Other than that I haven't found a good way to beat him. Do you have any advice?

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
Kim on the other hand is evil. The second you are vulnerable you will eat Hienzan, regardless of whether you are mid move or not. On top of that, if you play defensively he will throw you with amazing accuracy.

The only weakness I have found so far is to dodge when he jumps at you, as there is a good chance you can avoid whatever is coming your way and then throw him. Other than that I haven't found a good way to beat him. Do you have any advice?

Kim's a sucker for the fireball uppercut traps; even more so now that his diving kicking traded speed and priority for cheap tick damage.

I literally destroy him with Athena and Robert.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
95's whole cheapness goes crazy when you get your supers.

I played some guys in akiba, they would wait till they were flashing red then do a super move continuously that you couldn't get around. (Like the old guy's super fire breath) IT WAS SHITTY.

But kof95 is by far the best game on the neo. The super moves are punishing and wicked looking. I think Athena's air to ground burning thing is very powerful.

LOVE THE GAME.

Hey hanafuda- We're hanging out in Hirai today. Give me a call. I'll PM you with my cell number.

hanafuda

YeldellGW said:
Kim's a sucker for the fireball uppercut traps; even more so now that his diving kicking traded speed and priority for cheap tick damage.

I literally destroy him with Athena and Robert.

What level do you play on? I play on MVS difficulty, and while you can land a few uppercuts on Kim when he jumps, they really don't do that much damage, and quite often you trade hits too. Plus I don't find any fireball traps are useful in this game because the CPU is smart enough to sidestep whenever it can. Therefore, Kim won't jump when you throw a fireball anyway: he will just sidestep.

RBjake:

Thanks man. I PM'd you back. Only just got back home after a day out...

neo>all

Super nO0b
The cpu on the mvs version is easy once you know how to beat it. If you really want to school it I could post character specific strategies but I have not found one overall way to beat all the characters.

Last edited:

Devil_Gans

Bu, ,
I like the challenging AI in 95. The AI is not so forgiving and the damage level for that game is high. I hate fighting the AOF team(ryo,robert and takuma). They can be really nasty at times. It's funny that the AI started to get easy starting from KOF 96 onwards.

Neo a_bomb

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
hanafudaX said:

Fair enough.

While Billy is definitely cheap, I find him easier to beat than Kim because he takes the cheapness one step too far and opens up weaknesses.

Basically when he has a super bar or his health is flashing DO NOT jump back if there is a certain amount of distance between you he will almost always use his super. His super also takes off a lot when the CPU is using him too. If you have Robert or ryo you can use some qcb+b or d or the qcf+a or c if he keeps hitting you with his (dn up+ b or d charge move) then use the lighter attack then he ll get thrown off time and you ll jit him a lot. As stated before fireball traps really work just make sure you alternate between light and strong.

a_bomb

hanafuda

Neo a_bomb said:
Basically when he has a super bar or his health is flashing DO NOT jump back if there is a certain amount of distance between you he will almost always use his super. His super also takes off a lot when the CPU is using him too.

Yeah, I was playing today and got caught by his super. KOd me when I had around 60% energy left.

Neo a_bomb said:
If you have Robert or ryo you can use some qcb+b or d or the qcf+a or c if he keeps hitting you with his (dn up+ b or d charge move) then use the lighter attack then he ll get thrown off time and you ll jit him a lot. As stated before fireball traps really work just make sure you alternate between light and strong.
a_bomb

You mean hcb+kick with Robert and hcb+punch with Ryo and Takuma? No way. If you do that then Kim instantly goes for the legs and does a Comet Cruncher (no charge, of course).

Fireball traps don't work either. I can throw 10 fireballs at Kim and he will sidestep 9 of them.

He will Hienzan a light punch, a sweep, and pretty much anything. If you jump on him you can aim to trade hits on a Hienzan at best, but you will come off worse damage wise.

talks2wall

Host for Orochi
Billy definitely gets my vote, although I think both Saishu and Rugal should be on the list too. Talk about a pain in the ass!

Kim is definitely tough to deal with too, especially with the no-charge nonsense. He's got some killer combos that I never knew existed when I was playing 94 and 95 back in the day.

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
my vote goes top rugal. saisyu is also though ones you take of half his life, though still beatable. from the listed charas id have to choose kim. billy also sometimes gives troubles but kim almots always gives drama, btw yuri that slut is almost as bad. king and mai are better than her but you wouldnt guese that by playing the cpu.

hanafuda

MUSOLINI said:
btw yuri that slut is almost as bad. king and mai are better than her but you wouldnt guese that by playing the cpu.

For sure. Yuri really has hardly any vulnerability after most of her specials, and her air grab has huge priority. Playing against the CPU she will simply BE in the air to get the throw the second you jump. There isn't even time for you to perform an attack between you jumping and being thrown.

King? She is tough, and pretty ruthless, but I don't really find her cheap. Banana Kick (?) is the one to catch her out on though. If you can sense it coming and sidestep it, then she is wide open to attack. Just don't let it hit you :)

E=MC2

i know about that man, ive had this game on my neo cd since 95. thanx anywauz but im talking about in 2p king and especially mai are better than yuri. but playing in 1p yuri is always the one to be weary about. ofcourse i know how to nail her, but that dont change the fact that shes too damn dangerous. mai's air grab is as dangerous as yuris but mai herself is even more dangerous(2p).

level 8 yuri does huge damage and is cheap to boot. her small weaknesses are when she jumps you should uppercut her(if youve got one), if she airfireballs wait for the fireball to go to the ground and combo her as soon as she lands. shes vulnerable for a sec when she touches the ground so this is you moment to do a big combo, prefferably a dizzy combo so you can finish her of without too much drama. also if your quick enough to notice her normall fireball you can combo her before she recovers. besides this and her dp she doesnt have too many weaknesses, one of the best cpu kof players in 95.

also ragal GIVES you oppurtunities, like when hes taunting or walking into your HK's or HP's when you in a corner. just try to play him normall like you would play somebody in 2p and hell rape you. GC does about 50% damage alone in lvl8, damn that motherfucker. one combo and hell finish you if your not carefull.

p.s. 95 is one of my favorite kofs ever, it only got improved when 97 came out IMO.

hanafuda

OMFG.

CPU Beni just 100%ed me.

He was in psycho mode (a mode any players familiar with SNK games prior to 1997 will be familiar with) and had already destroyed my Robert and Takuma. In came my Ryo.

Beni does a shinkukatategoma. I then counter with charge b, f + D, but my timing was late by a fraction. He blocks my attack (or maybe just straight out attacked it?), and does standing C into his DM when I am as close to him as is possible.

Instant KO from 100% health :eek:

Dirty bastard. I want him on the poll!

E=MC2

billy only has to hit all the hits of his super and your dead.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
OMFG.

CPU Beni just 100%ed me.

He was in psycho mode (a mode any players familiar with SNK games prior to 1997 will be familiar with) and had already destroyed my Robert and Takuma. In came my Ryo.

Beni does a shinkukatategoma. I then counter with charge b, f + D, but my timing was late by a fraction. He blocks my attack (or maybe just straight out attacked it?), and does standing C into his DM when I am as close to him as is possible.

That's not surprising, unless you've never played KOF 94.

Benimaru, along with Heidern and Heavy D had the most ridiculously damaging DMs in that game; though in Benimaru's and D's case you had to land all the hits.

MUSOLINI said:
billy only has to hit all the hits of his super and your dead.

Can't say that surprises me. I can see Billy getting ever cheeseball advantage that he doesn't need.

talks2wall

Host for Orochi
Yeah, Beni has that nasty 100% although I always did it starting with a jumping D, standing C and then the DM. I think Beni might need to be MAXed up for the full 100%. I think Beni and Takuma were the only folks with 100% combos in '95, at least the only two that I knew of and that I could execute myself.

hanafudaX said:
OMFG.

CPU Beni just 100%ed me.

hanafuda

talks2wall said:
Yeah, Beni has that nasty 100% although I always did it starting with a jumping D, standing C and then the DM. I think Beni might need to be MAXed up for the full 100%. I think Beni and Takuma were the only folks with 100% combos in '95, at least the only two that I knew of and that I could execute myself.

I have played '94 a lot, but I don't recall Beni 100%ing me on that...

What is Takuma's 100% by the way? DM after his flying kick?

I see someone else voted for Kim. Thanks. I was playing the game a lot this morning, and Kim is a bitch. Billy is a walkover to beat next to Kim. Yuri is a chore too, but I've learned to simply not jump on her, ever.

I'd like to add Heidern and Beni to the poll, but neither can top Kim...

talks2wall

Host for Orochi
hanafudaX said:
I have played '94 a lot, but I don't recall Beni 100%ing me on that...
Beni couldn't get a 100% in '94, just '95 I believe. I don't think anyone could pull of a 100% in '94 without dizzying someone first.

hanafudaX said:
What is Takuma's 100% by the way? DM after his flying kick?
Yep. I would do jump D, crouching C, flying kicks with D and juggle with his DM.

E=MC2

94 was dizzy repeats, 95 was 100%. but theyre also present in 96/97 and onward.

GENOCIDE CUTTER '94

Ukyo's Doctor
From the list provided, Kim is the cheapest bastitch, as I can murder those other sod's pretty easily (says the man who hasn't played '95 in over 2 years and probably wouldn't get past stage one if he played it today).

But as far as '95 goes, the supreme cheapness goes to:

Heidern!

A guy so tough, they have to limit his kof appearances.

Toughest/cheapest set team: Ikari

Toughest/cheapest edit team: Heidern, Terry and someone else, I cant remember, but it's some vicious edit team, usually on Ikari stage, generally appear quite late in the game, either just before Saisyu or before the team preceding him

(I'm almost tempted to give '95 a go right now, but I dont think I could handle humiliating defeat right now).

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
GENOCIDE CUTTER '94 said:
But as far as '95 goes, the supreme cheapness goes to:

Heidern!

A guy so tough, they have to limit his kof appearances.

Heidern's the original Guile of KOF. Pretty much a given he'd be a cheapass.

Actually surprised he didn't appear on the poll.

hanafuda

Yeah, I wanted to add Heidern and Benimaru to the poll but it isn't possible..

Heidern is definitely cheap, but I just don't think he tops Kim. He fires off projectiles with amazing hit success rates, but he's not so vicious with the Moon Slasher (?) where Kim will Heienzan anything you do, even something like a crouching light punch. Plus his super catches you out much more easily than Heidern's.