KOF 2003 questions/observations for those who have played

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
Based on these movies:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=73408

and these screenshots:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=73088

Making a new thread in hopes of getting replies.

-Exactly how much of Terry is MOTW Terry, and how much is KOF Terry? He looks like he still has his KOF/FF2 low D, for instance. Also, he apparently has his MOTW far standing D poke, but in one movie, performs his KOF 2000/2001/2002 far standing D (standing back kick). This is just his close standing D?

-Does King basically have a Sagat thing going on with her new venom strikes? Do we know if the "low" venom strike must be blocked low? Can the high one be ducked under? Side note: she sounds just like Mary now, which is weak.

-Anyone know exactly how Gato's air moves work now? He still has his diving kick and his ground splash move from the hop--did the new air dash followup replace one of his other moves? Is the air dash move cancellable?

-Anyone know if all stages scroll vertically, or is it just the one garden level with the orange-colored trees in the background? Side note: nice effect, especially on Griffon's grapples, by the way.

-

I would also like to ask:

Can we expect Orochi Iori (you know, the really pissed off variant found in SVC)? How about other varying degrees of characters like "Shin" as well?

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I'm wondering if any team endings have been seen and how the new hero team fits into the mix of things

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
--Exactly how much of Terry is MOTW Terry, and how much is KOF Terry? He looks like he still has his KOF/FF2 low D, for instance. Also, he apparently has his MOTW far standing D poke, but in one movie, performs his KOF 2000/2001/2002 far standing D (standing back kick). This is just his close standing D?

-Does King basically have a Sagat thing going on with her new venom strikes? Do we know if the "low" venom strike must be blocked low? Can the high one be ducked under? Side note: she sounds just like Mary now, which is weak.

-Anyone know exactly how Gato's air moves work now? He still has his diving kick and his ground splash move from the hop--did the new air dash followup replace one of his other moves? Is the air dash move cancellable?

-Anyone know if all stages scroll vertically, or is it just the one garden level with the orange-colored trees in the background? Side note: nice effect, especially on Griffon's grapples, by the way.
?

from memory, might be wrong...

terry seems to have mainly his motw normals. his specials are the power dunk, his fb, his shoulder charge ala kof97, his qcb+kick, and his burn knuckle.

kings low fb is low block i am pretty sure, and the high one you prolly can duck, it comes out at about her face level.

gatos air moves seem to be intact iirc

not sure about the scrolling. but as most are saying now (and i wholeheartedly agree) these bgs rock and will prolly become my favourite kof bgs ever.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
How about CD hits?
Are those still avaialable.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
*tag in when the lamp is lit using bc or cd

quoting myself.. i would say cd hits are out. could be wrong though. game will be out here in about a week so ill check when i get to sit down and play it :)

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
EX_Andy said:

-

Yep! all stages scroll up.

Paul Phoenix

New Challenger
I would like to ask something really important (in my opinion at least) :
Does Robert have quarter circle moves or does he still have those silly charge moves ???
You would do me a great favor if you would let me know this. Thanks.

rebellion1

Mr. Big's Thug
Paul Phoenix said:
I would like to ask something really important (in my opinion at least) :
Does Robert have quarter circle moves or does he still have those silly charge moves ???
You would do me a great favor if you would let me know this. Thanks.

oh ima kill somoene if he is not restored to his 2k1 glory. In KOF 2k1 robert was INSANEly good and balanced. In 2k2 he was toned down a little (extra fireball animation time) but ANYTHING is better than his goddamn charge shit from 2k and 99.

Moriya

Cheng's Errand Boy
EX_Andy said:

As far as I know, he has a new qcb + A/C move that works like his qcb + B/D, but with different follow-ups (including that air dash). So, basically, he has 8 followups to that move.

brammes

n00b
does robert still has this move (because its my fav. robert move): Gen'ei Kyaku f,b,f + B/D :help:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
rebellion1 said:
oh ima kill somoene if he is not restored to his 2k1 glory. In KOF 2k1 robert was INSANEly good and balanced. In 2k2 he was toned down a little (extra fireball animation time) but ANYTHING is better than his goddamn charge shit from 2k and 99.

I totally disagree with this. He was not even close to balanced in 2k1. He was part of the Kim, May, Daimon crew as far as i'm concerned.
His guard break shit was impossible to counter, and his high CD hitting twice was a major pain.

I wish we had KOF 98 robert to be honest.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
EX_Andy said:

The voice actress for Blue Mary and King is Harumi Ikoma, they always sounded similar.

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
Re: Re: KOF 2003 questions/observations for those who have played

bokmeow said:
The voice actress for Blue Mary and King is Harumi Ikoma, they always sounded similar.

Yes, they've always had the same voice actress, and no, they didn't always sound similar. Check the movies.

the_colonel

Fio's Quartermaster
Does the game still have the 4 types of jumps, as characters seem to jump kind of high. The kofonline site only says there are 2 kinds of jumps, i'm sure of seen 3!!! or has the height of the jumps different & leans towards ff style high jumps?

Also i've seen changs jump C+D attack in vid 4.

Paul Phoenix

New Challenger
Thanks for the answers, BUT my question isn´t essentially answered.

The last KoF I bought was 2k and there he had charge moves and I think he has got them since KoF ´99.

Now, if somebody who actually has played 2003 could tell if they have removed those damn charge moves and turned him back to his original circle moves like they were in KoF ´98.

Please let us know. Thanks.

Moriya

Cheng's Errand Boy
the_colonel said:
Does the game still have the 4 types of jumps, as characters seem to jump kind of high. The kofonline site only says there are 2 kinds of jumps, i'm sure of seen 3!!! or has the height of the jumps different & leans towards ff style high jumps?

The game has always had 3 types of jumps (small, regular and high). It still does in KOF2003.

Paul Phoenix said:
Thanks for the answers, BUT my question isn´t essentially answered.

The last KoF I bought was 2k and there he had charge moves and I think he has got them since KoF ´99.

Now, if somebody who actually has played 2003 could tell if they have removed those damn charge moves and turned him back to his original circle moves like they were in KoF ´98.

Please let us know. Thanks.

You know, he hasn't had charge moves since KOF2001... he only had those in 2 games... it's still the same way (circle moves) in KOF2003.

Paul Phoenix

New Challenger
@ Moriya

Thanks, you´re the man :buttrock:

And thank god SNK-P has come back to rational thinking :tickled:

Moriya

Cheng's Errand Boy
xtoo_short20x said:
How about CD hits?
Are those still avaialable.

Here's the deal: CD attacks are gone. But most of the tag attacks (qcf + BC/CD) use the old animation that the characters used to have for their CD attacks. And some characters still have their normal/air CDs (Chang, Whip, Terry) in the form of commands (normally df + a button).

Last edited:

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
I haven't downloaded all the vids yet, but in Vid #2 I believe I noticed some Mai action.

With all the censorship discussion going on, I noticed at the VERY end when they show her stance I swear shew has "bounce" (and the vids ARE from the US test right?). Not to mention her sprites seem to be touched up.

I dunno, maybe the quality of the vid is playing tricks with my eyes. Can anyone confirm this? Was Mai actually redone?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Cain Highwind said:
I haven't downloaded all the vids yet, but in Vid #2 I believe I noticed some Mai action.

With all the censorship discussion going on, I noticed at the VERY end when they show her stance I swear shew has "bounce" (and the vids ARE from the US test right?). Not to mention her sprites seem to be touched up.

I dunno, maybe the quality of the vid is playing tricks with my eyes. Can anyone confirm this? Was Mai actually redone?
The US loke test was done I guess with Japanese hardware. All of the text, win quotes, etc. was in Japanese. The SNK rep couldn't even adjust the settings to increase the volume (although he did try) cause they were in Japanese.

BarfHappy

NAM-75 Vet
funny... and nobody had japanese skills ? ^^
contacts must be difficult between usa and japan offices