Know your knolling

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Do you knoll? Knolling is the process of arranging related objects in parallel or 90-degree angles as a method of organization. I'm OCD, so, it's almost impossible for me not to automatically do this when I'm arranging things.
jim-golden-studio.jpg
I didn't know there was actually a word for it, until today, when a woman commented on a photo of building block pieces I posted in one of my reviews.
1_tumblr_mrn0rfouto1sb0phqo1_1280.jpg
The word knoll makes me think of D&D Gnolls too!
Knolling-Photography-48.jpg

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Are you actually diagnosed with a form of OCD or are you just describing your orientation towards Tetris poisoning, or a Diablo II inventory ?

@M

20 Year Member
My neurologist actually diagnosed me with OCD, and I was there to see him for my MS, not that. He didn't like that I could easily recall exact information about my lumbar puncture (spinal tap) results in great detail, including oligoclonal band (byproducts of inflammation) numbers and pairing in my cerebral spinal fluid and blood serum, and explain what it all meant to him in even greater detail. He drily commented that many of his patients can't even remember that they had a spinal tap, let alone all the information I recounted for him. 😂

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I would love to do a shadowbox like this.

I tend to Tetris stuff rather than lay it all out...or knoll it.
Never heard this term. Seems like something from Japan...

Reactions: @M

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Hadn't heard of it before but now I see the pictures I can appreciate the attraction

@M

20 Year Member
"The word ‘knolling’, which literally means organizing objects at right angles, was first used in 1987 by Andrew Kromelow, a janitor at Frank Gehry’s furniture fabrication shop. Kromelow used to arrange his displaced tools at right angles on all surfaces, and called this routine knolling, because the tools were arranged in right angles — similar to Knoll furniture."

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I've seen these as shadow boxes for disassembled Gameboys or game controllers, and i can appreciate the style but can't go beyond that

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
…in what situation, and for how long, is it useful or practical to have so many things laying out, regardless of them being lined up? You bump the table and 50 things roll off it. Someone needs some zip lock bags.

Since I’m a technician I’ve taken apart a lot of shit, kept it organized, and put it back together. However the purpose of the organization is to put it all back again. It doesn’t just…lay out, in a pose, like these photos and almost never is artful photography a part of this process. I would never remove every ball bearing from a drill, for example, and then arrange the little BBs like that picture. “Those fuckers need to be in a little bag or they will be lost.” is what anyone who’s ever taken apart a drill before would think. Then they’d look at the picture again and see that nobody is ever putting it back together again anyway, it’s just junk sculpture pretending to be an exploded view.