King of Fighters 98 Korean boot or not?

Monolith

Pleasure Goal
Figured Id post pics of this since Ive never seen any of it before. KOF 98 Korean....... The case is white with a cheap label that looks like the real one but also states made in Korea.

The soldering job is nice, all the chips but the 2 eproms are made by OKI in Japan. They sanded the tops of the chips but not good enough to remove the Oki name,ect.

Basically this cart looks nothing like my other KOF98. Any thoughts?? (yea sorry,cam pics suck)

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
It's a little strange to sand off the tops of eproms like that.

Monolith

Pleasure Goal
Running demo mode on MVS the demo music starts up at the parental advisory screen instead of when the KOF 98 logo appears. My other cart does not do this.

I think it´s a boot,

very nice looking I´d say.

different board revision but with the same codename as regular kof98 boards.

surfaced mount prog board manufactured in 1994 and kept in secret until 1998.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
I'm going to guess it's a bootleg right off the bat. The chip configurations don't look right. The SNK logos look a little messy. Backs of the boards just look "off."

I'll open my Korean KOF01, though, and check it out.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
I'm going to guess it's a bootleg right off the bat. The chip configurations don't look right. The SNK logos look a little messy. Backs of the boards just look "off."

I'll open my Korean KOF01, though, and check it out.

Yeah, looks like a boot that was attempted to look legitimate. Not bad, but still, it's looks booty.

WilalvesBR

NEST Puppet
Check post #13 for a small update.

It's a bootleg.

Check the pictures of my "legit" KOF '98 Korean:

DSC08956.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

DSC00405.jpg

Last edited:

Monolith

Pleasure Goal
I figured as much, but thought Id post the sucker anyway to snuff all doubt. I nabbed it dirt cheap just to recycle the shell anyway, so that worked out well all in all.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Looks like someone spent some time trying to pass that as a legit cart though. Nice workmanship for a bootleg

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
I figured as much, but thought Id post the sucker anyway to snuff all doubt. I nabbed it dirt cheap just to recycle the shell anyway, so that worked out well all in all.

Did you buy that off of eBay? I just got a KOF 98 boot off of tey bay a couple of weeks ago and promptly returned it...it was also in a legit Korean case. :spock:

Is the label still intact or did you already get rid of it? If it's still there, pics plz so we can nail the seller as a scammer.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
This is a pretty cool lookin' boot, I must say.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
I just wanted to follow up and say that the seller of my boot didn't resell it on teh eBayz...sounds like bootleggers used Korean shells to make it look more legit. I think I'll have to stick to non-Korean just to be safe.

WilalvesBR

NEST Puppet
Just saw this video on youtube and realized that my "Korean" KOF '98 cart does not suffer from the "problems" showed in the video (japanese voices missing).

Seems that somebody swapped the game boards in my "Korean KOF '98" (showed above).

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Just saw this video on youtube and realized that my "Korean" KOF '98 cart does not suffer from the "problems" showed in the video (japanese voices missing).

Seems that somebody swapped the game boards in my "Korean KOF '98" (showed above).

Interesting. Come to think of it, I don't know if I've ever owned any of the older "Made in Korea" carts. I've had Salubi Spirits, Fighters Swords, and Last Soldier, but those are all Korean releases that were made in Japan.