King of Fighters 94: Team Edit hack

SieKensou

n00b
I'm ok with this. Once the player knows that is how team roulette works, they will be good. Rugal does the same thing.
I don't know if this is very good. If you are selecting your custom team, you already have your 2 first characters and for some reason you accidentally pass over the RANDOM TEAM icon it will change your selected characters.... so you can't select your custom team... Maybe you have to "save" your already selected characters in case you pass over the RANDOM TEAM but you continue selecting another characters and not the RANDOM TEAM. So you can restore them when you go out of the RANDOM TEAM icon.

No worries. I was able to repro now too. And yeah, with only 8 teams the chances of picking the same team again is fairly high.

I'm ok with this. If I kept track of which teams were picked, since there are only 8 fights in single player mode, it becomes more of a "world tour" mode. I think just randomly seeing what you get is kinda fun too. Like getting a team you don't know very well twice in a row or your favorite team.
Yeah, this is okay, there is no problem if it repeats teams, it has to be like that. That's why it is random, it can be any team at any battle. Maybe you can make the randomize time a bit larger so the player can see perfectly that the randomize is working.

city41

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member

city41

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Alright, got cutscene 2 squared away

Heh heh, but no I really do as I can now make them say anything I want and all the other things about the cutscene are now fixed.

Does anyone read Japanese? Here is Team Mexico's cutscene in Japanese

In English, their cutscene is generic and will be the basis for the hack's cutscene. I'm pretty sure it's generic in Japanese too, can anyone confirm for sure? Meaning if you swap in any characters the cutscene still makes sense.

I can run the Spanish version through google translate, but I can't do that with the Japanese one.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Just get the Google Translate app on your phone and use the camera mode.

What needs to be fixed?

city41

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Just get the Google Translate app on your phone and use the camera mode.
ah nice, this does work now. It used to be low res Japanese would not work in these apps.

Cool, I'm all set.
What needs to be fixed?
I'm using Team Mexico's cutscene text as the basis for the hack's cutscene. Since they all say generic things, I can swap out Takuma/Ryo/Robert's name for any character's name and it works. But it only works because they say such generic things.

I'm hoping the Japanese and Spanish versions of Team Mexico's cutscene are just as generic (and they most likely are, just want to be sure).

Here is the hack's cutscene, as I just got it working

city41

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I reached out to a native Japanese speaker and they said the cutscene changes cause gender issues when a female character gets swapped in. That is probably true for Spanish too. I was afraid of that. But I also don't think I'll try to fix it as I think it will be really hard. Ah well, SNK games usually have clunky English, now they have clunky Japanese too :) If I had to guess SNK Spanish has always been as clunky as the English :P

SieKensou

n00b
I reached out to a native Japanese speaker and they said the cutscene changes cause gender issues when a female character gets swapped in. That is probably true for Spanish too. I was afraid of that. But I also don't think I'll try to fix it as I think it will be really hard. Ah well, SNK games usually have clunky English, now they have clunky Japanese too :) If I had to guess SNK Spanish has always been as clunky as the English :P
But is your code capable of distinguis between female and male characters? I have a native Spanish friend that can help you with the Spanish texts.

city41

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
But is your code capable of distinguis between female and male characters? I have a native Spanish friend that can help you with the Spanish texts.
Yeah, I can tell when a female character is being used. I'll add this to the post release list (ie, after 1.0, https://github.com/city41/kof94te/milestone/3)

And just to set expectations, once 1.0 is out I'm going to take a break from this for a while.

city41

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
A subtle change, but I think it looks nicer. The font on the right has a 1px spacing between lines.

This will be an optional add on for those who want it. And can be applied to regular KOF94 too.

beforeAfter.png
zoom.png

Attachments

• zoom.png
    zoom.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 1

SieKensou

n00b
Yeah, I can tell when a female character is being used. I'll add this to the post release list (ie, after 1.0, https://github.com/city41/kof94te/milestone/3)
Good. My friend wants to help but he's not in this forums. He said that he send an e-mail to you at the begining of the project but he never get a reply. Don't know if you use that contact e-mail, so let me know how can he contact with you.

And just to set expectations, once 1.0 is out I'm going to take a break from this for a while.
Yes, it's understandable and you deserve it. Thanks for this hack. It's awesome, it makes the game more enjoyable and I love all the atention and effort you put in every detail to make it the most perfect possible.

A subtle change, but I think it looks nicer. The font on the right has a 1px spacing between lines.

This will be an optional add on for those who want it. And can be applied to regular KOF94 too.

View attachment 74078
View attachment 74080
Nice, it looks much better now, yes.

Last edited:

city41

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Maybe it went to the spam folder?
I just found several emails in my spam folder about the hack. So his probably went to spam too but the system clears out spam regularly so I'm guessing his got deleted.

city41

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Anyone recognize these tiles? I can't find where they are used, and they might not be

1715314754195.png

The reason I ask, is because this tile is used as the period in the game

1715314786059.png

They use a palette that only shows the central circle, and that's the period. That's why the period is grey instead of white, and why it doesn't use the same "3d effect" of the rest of the font.

period_large.png

This one threw me for a while. I kept coming to this tile and was like "but that's not a period? .... ohhh!"

SieKensou

n00b
I just found several emails in my spam folder about the hack. So his probably went to spam too but the system clears out spam regularly so I'm guessing his got deleted.
Okay, he said he will write to you again.

Anyone recognize these tiles? I can't find where they are used, and they might not be

View attachment 74081

The reason I ask, is because this tile is used as the period in the game

View attachment 74082

They use a palette that only shows the central circle, and that's the period. That's why the period is grey instead of white, and why it doesn't use the same "3d effect" of the rest of the font.

View attachment 74083

This one threw me for a while. I kept coming to this tile and was like "but that's not a period? .... ohhh!"
According to my friend, it's Chin's "wine bottle", and I think he is right. But in game it shows the complette 3D effect.

city41

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I'll still update this thread if that's what you're sad about Hattori.

The hack is really close to done too (for English that is, Spanish isn't far behind and Japanese will probably still take a while)