Killer Instinct HD problems

Edge

n00b
Another one of my arcade board problems pheeew!

Okays what basically has happened is that my hardrive is bust for the Killer Instinct jamma board.

I know the obvious thing to do is buy a new hardrive... err i think. But I just wanted to know if the power running through a Supergun is meant to have been set to certain voltage before playing the game.
The guy who I bought the KI board off said that if the power going in my supergun is too high or low then it can damage the hardrive. Another person said that a fan should be fitted on the board?

Im new to the world of arcade boards etc so i you could please keep it simple.

There's no doubt that I will have to buy a new hardrive now. But to avoid loosing another one what should I do next time?

thnx

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
What all voltages are adjustable on your SuperGun (if any are)?

You might want to check the +5 and +12 (and -5v if yours has it).

If those voltages are way off, then I suppose you could have damaged the HD.

Edge

n00b
thanks.

It gets even worse, my voltmeter is bust.... doh!

Well from what I can see from my MAS Supergun it has +12V and then 5V and then another +5V and another +5V if that means anything to you.

I might have to put a pic up here for you to have a better look cus I really don't know what im talking about lol.

Well all I can say that part of the jamma connector looking on the component side is like this (from 1-6, but there's 28 in total):

l (up to 28)
l
l
l etc (7)
l
l +12V (6)
l
l 5V (5)
l
l +5V (4)
l
l +5V (3)
l
l GND (2)
l
l GND (1)
l_ _ _ _ _ _

Excuse my very poor diagram. The writting is pretty worn out on the connector or whatever you would call it, so it was hard to make out what it said. But that's what I make it out to be.

I've been told when reading the voltage from this the red wire should be in the +5V (3) and the black in the GND (1).

In general what voltage should arcade boards be run at?? Or is that not a valid question as most individual boards should be run at a specific votltage? I don't have any manuals from my KI board so I have no idea.

thanks again for helping 'broken'!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Edge said:

Well all I can say that part of the jamma connector looking on the component side is like this (from 1-6, but there's 28 in total):

l (up to 28)
l
l
l etc (7)
l
l +12V (6)
l
l 5V (5)
l
l +5V (4)
l
l +5V (3)
l
l GND (2)
l
l GND (1)
l_ _ _ _ _ _

Excuse my very poor diagram. The writting is pretty worn out on the connector or whatever you would call it, so it was hard to make out what it said. But that's what I make it out to be.

I've been told when reading the voltage from this the red wire should be in the +5V (3) and the black in the GND (1).

In general what voltage should arcade boards be run at?? Or is that not a valid question as most individual boards should be run at a specific votltage? I don't have any manuals from my KI board so I have no idea.

thanks again for helping 'broken'!

Position # 5 should be - 5 volts (negative).

Only thing I can really suggest is to check the voltages on the +5 and +12 and see how close they are. Sometimes these boards are not very tolerable to the +5 being off very much. It might be 5.3 volts or it could 4.6 or something else.

I would check them to see how close they are to spec.

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
How do you know the HD is bad? KI/KI2 need about 5.1 volts on the +5 line, 12v, and -5v to work properly. If the -5v isn't hooked up, the sound chip won't work, and the game won't boot.