Kid stabs a bully and gets away with it.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
NAPLES — A 15-year-old who fatally stabbed his school mate will no longer face criminal prosecution.

A judge’s ruling, made public Tuesday, granted a motion to dismiss the second-degree murder charge against Jorge Saavedra in the death of 16-year-old Dylan Nuno on the grounds that he acted in self-defense under Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law. The State Attorney’s Office has indicated that it will not appeal the ruling.

Nuno’s family and friends criticized Collier County Circuit Judge Lauren Brodie’s decision, calling it “unbelievable” and “heartbreaking.”

“We know this wasn’t the right decision,” said Dylan’s aunt, Adriana Nuno.“(The judge) is showing those kids it’s OK to get away with murder.”

Saavedra, who was 14 at the time of the stabbing, was charged as a juvenile. If found guilty, the former Palmetto Ridge High student would have been released by the age of 21.

Brodie’s ruling concluded that Saavadra, who said he was bullied and tried avoid a fight with Nuno, did not act unlawfully. She added that Saavadra had more than enough reason to believe he was in danger of death or great bodily harm.

Brodie based her decision this week on the findings from a two-day December hearing, during which students who witnessed the events Jan. 24, 2011, testified that several teens announced the fight on the bus, and Saavedra got off several stops early in Golden Gate Estates. Saavedra showed a pocket knife to two teens on the bus that afternoon.

In a nine-page document released Tuesday by the State Attorney’s Office, Brodie stated that by getting off the bus several stops before the location where the fight was to happen, Saavedra “demonstrated that, with or without a knife, (he) had no desire to fight with Dylan Nuno.”

Accompanied by several students, Dylan Nuno, a junior, followed Saavedra, a freshman, off the bus. He then punched him in the back of the head, according to court documents and testimony.

Saavedra attempted to get away once, witnesses said. He then stabbed Dylan Nuno 12 times in the chest and abdomen. Two of the blows caused fatal wounds, including one that nicked his heart.

In her decision, signed Dec. 30, 2011, the judge said Saavedra had “no duty to retreat” and was “legally entitled to meet force with force, even deadly force.”

“The defendant was in a place where he had a right to be and was not acting unlawfully. He had more than enough reason to believe he was in danger of death or great bodily harm ... (He) was under attack from the first punch to the back of his head until he stabbed Dylan Nuno.”

Prosecutors will not be appealing the case, a move that upset Dylan Nuno’s family and friends.

“We’ve reviewed the decision,” said Samantha Syoen, spokeswoman for the State Attorney’s Office. “There does not appear to be any issues to appeal.”

Saavedra’s lawyer, Donald Day, called the case “a tragedy all the way around.” Saavedra is currently living with his family in Miami.

“My reaction is there is no winner at all in this case,” Day said. “My client’s family feels terribly for the Nuno family.”

The judge’s decision came as a surprise to Adriana Aradas, 19, a close friend of Dylan Nuno who sat with his family for the December hearing, wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with messages for the teen.

“I wasn’t’ expecting that at all,” Aradas said. “At the last hearing, there was so much against Jorge.”

During that hearing, students recounted for the judge previous altercations between the two teens, including one instance on the bus when something was lobbed from the back, where Dylan Nuno sat, to the front, where Saavedra was.

The judge also highlighted that Saavedra would skip school or find other ways home to avoid the bus.

Though the judge’s order does not mention the term “bullying,” which was heavily used by the defense, it does describe “taunting comments” from Dylan Nuno and two other male teens shortly before the fight.

Dylan Nuno’s family and friends have defended the teen, saying repeatedly he was not a bully and in fact transferred from Lely High School to Palmetto Ridge to escape taunting himself.

Their hopes for a bench trial before Brodie are now gone, weeks before the anniversary of his death and what would have been Dylan Nuno’s 18th birthday.

“Brodie’s decision is not setting a good example for children or adults,” said Kim Maxwell, Dylan Nuno’s mother. “I truly do not want this type of tragedy to happen to another innocent family.”

Yet after months of seeing Saavedra in the courtroom, there is some closure in the fact that they will no longer have to see the teen’s killer on what at times in 2011 was on a monthly basis.

“Whatever happens, whether (Saavedra) would have gotten time, it’s not going to bring Dylan back,” said Adriana Nuno. “We’ll have to move on, unfortunately without our Dylan.”

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2012/jan/03/collier-judge-upholds-stand-your-ground-defense-ca/?partn

So my thing is the fact that the kid showed off the knife means he had intention to use it if it came to it. Do you guys agree with the ruling aye/nay and other thoughts about it?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Correct ruling. Saavedra tried to avoid the fight, multiple times, and Nuno would not relent on him. Nuno was dead set on inflicting severe pain on Saavedra. Nuno got what he deserved. His family however, deserves to be punished as well. They should be fined. Something needs to happen to force parents to claim responsibility for their children.

The principal of the school needs to be removed as well. Failure to provide a safe environment for the children is inexcusable. I would have the principal put in jail for at least 2 years.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Looks like the world lost another future criminal/cop on that fateful day.

Boo hoo.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I'm sorry but Dylan Nuno's family is just gonna have to...
dealwithit.gif

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
stabbed him 12 times in self defense?????

Wouldn't like 1 or 2 pokes be enough to run at that point?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
stabbed him 12 times in self defense?????

Wouldn't like 1 or 2 pokes be enough to run at that point?

depends on where the person was stabbed, if they're on any drugs, and how "intense" things get in your head. if you 'snap' and start going at it you'll be amazed at how much you unleash.

anything further, talk to my lawyer.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
I cannot express how glad it makes me to hear not only the judge's choice-of-sides on this case, but also that you guys feel the same way.
icon35.gif

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
If he truly was bullied and acted in self defense then its a great decision.....however was it really necessary to kill the guy ?
I like the name of the stand your ground law.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
If he truly was bullied and acted in self defense then its a great decision.....however was it really necessary to kill the guy ?
I like the name of the stand your ground law.

think about it.. the kid's a bully... and if he gets 'wounded' and lives, you think he's going to change his ways?.. hell no, he's going to go after that kid big time.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member

No doubt this bully had pushed this kid to a mindframe of intense fear. Even if it's just some non-lethal, yet harsh beatings eventully this fear will make you fear for your life.

I say correct ruling. Doesn't matter if you're 15 or 45. Someone attacks you, self-defense is your right.

No different than abusive husbands. You give your old lady one too many beatings, don't cry to me when she puts a bullet in your skull. Serves you right.

You take on the act of intentially harming someone, you should accept their recourse could be taking you out.

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'm glad the bully is dead. Furthermore, fuck the family for raising their child to be a douche bag.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Sounds fair to me. Guy pushed the kid to breaking point and got killed for it. Should have known when to say to say when.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Self Defense is a natural right.

self defense is your right.

+1

Based on the article this boy's actions appeared to meet the legal standard of justifiable homicide.

Most likely the boy who died bled out from his wounds. I'm sure the 12 stab wounds happened extremely fast. Yes, he used deadly force against the boy - but we can't say for sure whether or not it was his intent to kill him. We know it was, at a minimum, to use deadly force against him to stop him.

It appears he only used deadly force to stop the attack. I'm just guessing but probably once the attack against him was over he ceased stabbing.

Had he stabbed the kid once he was already on the ground (presumably dying) and no longer a threat then that would be another matter.

Unfortunate the other kid died. Hope the community learned a lesson that day.

Last edited:

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
I agree with every statement that the kid basically did society a favor taking out a future criminal. What sucks is the family of the child being bullied will probably have to move, but at least he can still live a free life.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I agree with every statement that the kid basically did society a favor taking out a future criminal

I wouldn't go so far as to say that.

We don't know the dead kid's backstory. He may have been a victim himself that unfortunately turned to victimizing others due to past trauma.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I wouldn't go so far as to say that.

We don't know the dead kid's backstory. He may have been a victim himself that unfortunately turned to victimizing others due to past trauma.

his family said that he was transferred into the school to escape bullying from his previous school.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
This is wonderful news to hear. There's WAY too many instances of bully victims being the death casualties. It's nice to hear the bully getting killed this time!

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
bunch of people reveling in death in this thread

kind of saddening

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
bunch of people reveling in death in this thread

kind of saddening

You're right. I imagine that Saavedra is not happy about how things played out, and unfortunately he has to live the rest of his life knowing that he took Nuno's life. Seems those closest to the case are all very saddened by this.

Heath

, cheyne stoking
This is wonderful news to hear. There's WAY too many instances of bully victims being the death casualties. It's nice to hear the bully getting killed this time!

wtf? bully or not, he was 15.

Last edited:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Damn, that was a fine decision. In the PC world I figured he would have gotten the book thrown at him. Kudos to the judge for a solid ruling.