Just Watched 2 Excellent Anime: Angel's Egg & Perfect Blue

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Yeah I know I'm like 30 years late on these, but both were really good.

Perfect Blue: I did not expect it to be as good as it was from reading the back of the DVD case. Easily one of the best anime movies I have ever seen. It was pretty smooth sailing at first, then when it started repeating days it got hard to distinguish the shooting of the film, from reality. Definitely a movie that will be watched a few more times.

Angels Egg: Wow... The art style in this one blew me away. It doesn't look highly polished like todays anime, but the style, and colors used are very unique. It looks very similar to the art on the Japanese Final Fantasy games. The movie had little dialogue, and was mostly told through the animation. If you are tired of typical fantasy, sci-fi, action-oriented anime, then give this a shot. It's very slow paced, but worth it. It baffles me this movie was considered a failure when it first came out.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Perfect Blue: I did not expect it to be as good as it was from reading the back of the DVD case. Easily one of the best anime movies I have ever seen. It was pretty smooth sailing at first, then when it started repeating days it got hard to distinguish the shooting of the film, from reality. Definitely a movie that will be watched a few more times.

Check out Satoshi Kon's other work if you haven't already. He had a brilliant and way too brief career.

Angels Egg: Wow... The art style in this one blew me away. It doesn't look highly polished like todays anime, but the style, and colors used are very unique. It looks very similar to the art on the Japanese Final Fantasy games

It's Amano. Same artist.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i watched perfect blue in the early 2000' and although it had great animation, i remember not liking it. but angel egg is one of those anime where i have been watching it once every few month for the past ten years.

it's a silent movie with almost no dialogue but the atmosphere and visuals are spectacular, although it might be a bit too "artsy" for some because of the lack of dialogue and a story that's left up for debate. very surreal.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Check out Satoshi Kon's other work if you haven't already. He had a brilliant and way too brief career.

It's Amano. Same artist.

I plan on checking them out.

I figured it was the same artist, but hadn't took the time to research it yet. Been busy reading up on all the religious references in the film.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Just Watched 2 Excellent Anime: Angel's Egg & Perfect Blue

I'm a huge fan of his work. My favorite has to be Paranoia Agent. So freaking great. Angels Egg is amazing too. Been awhile since I've watched either of these.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Watch Millenium Actress too. Toyko Godfathers is a nice christmas movie.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I'm a huge fan of his work. My favorite has to be Paranoia Agent. So freaking great. Angels Egg is amazing too. Been awhile since I've watched either of these.

Added to list. Thanks for the recommendation.

Watch Millenium Actress too. Toyko Godfathers is a nice christmas movie.

Also added.

A nice Christmas movie? Do I sense there may be something reminiscent of a heart in that body of yours? And here I thought you were Satan reincarnated in avatar form.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
If you dig Paranoia Agent then Paprika should be right up your alley too. That's a great and trippy movie.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
A nice Christmas movie? Do I sense there may be something reminiscent of a heart in that body of yours? And here I thought you were Satan reincarnated in avatar form.

Yeah, I thought his favorite character in A Christmas Carol was Scrooge, probably figured the story had a tragedy ending.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Yeah, I thought his favorite character in A Christmas Carol was Scrooge, probably figured the story had a tragedy ending.

go back talking shit about this place on other sites and stop menstruating, guntz.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
In the midst of my anime binge I powered through a few more last night.

First: 5 Centimeters Per Second - Boooorinng...

Second: Redline - Not sure how I feel about this one. It looks great no doubt, but I didn't feel it had much else going for it. I really wanted to like it. I guess I did kind of, but it's not something I would ever feel the desire to watch again.

3rd: Lost Exile - watched the First 3 episodes since I finally finished Cowboy Bebop (AKA best anime ever). It's definitely holding my attention, but I'm not sure it will end up being amazing just yet. I guess it's kinda hard to like something after just coming off Bebop. It's got to be pretty damn good to even compare.

For tonight I'm trying to decide between Paprika, Howls Moving Castle, or Castle in the Sky. I have a huge stack since I went on an amazon and right stuff binge last week.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Told you Perfect Blue was awesome.

Paprika. That shit will fuck you up.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Told you Perfect Blue was awesome.

Paprika. That shit will fuck you up.

Yeah, I hurried up and finished Perfect Blue so I could give it back to you. I've kinda been holding Paprika cause I have a feeling I'm really going to like it, so I'm trying to save it for close to last I think. I still have a huge stack of Ghibli I haven't seen I want to get through, and I need to watch Vampire Hunter D and Ninja Scroll again, cause I haven't watched them since the VHS days when I bought them from Suncoast Video with lunch money. Back when the word anime didn't exist, and it was called Japanimation. Man I'm getting old.

I'll have to let you borrow Angels Egg, I think you would really appreciate the art style.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Eh, say what you want about Makoto Shinkai movies like 5 centimeters... and "Your Name", but they sure look fantastic.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Eh, say what you want about Makoto Shinkai movies like 5 centimeters... and "Your Name", but they sure look fantastic.

It did look really good. And I'm not totally turned off by that type of story. I'm willing to give anything a chance if I hear it's good. I will be checking out Your Name. It's already regarded by many as the greatest anime movie of all time. I feel I have to really.

The thing with 5 centimeters though is the characters didnt have much personality, and the entire second chapter seemed pointless. I'm not sure why they even introduced that chic in love Takuko or whatever his name is. I did like how the movie was about distance though. The moral of the story was good, I just didnt feel anything for any of the characters.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Should've just went with surfer chick instead of going back to tokyo and becoming lonesage.

redline looks and sounds fucking great too, but is seriously lacking in story and character development.

Last edited:

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I mean to check out Angels egg as well. Maybe this weekend i'll finally sit down and watch it. You should also check out the OVA "Now and then, here and there"

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
One anime that really moved me was Grave of the Fireflies, the sadness is haunting. Do not recommend...

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Yeah I know I'm like 30 years late on these, but both were really good.

Angels Egg: Wow... The art style in this one blew me away. It doesn't look highly polished like todays anime, but the style, and colors used are very unique. It looks very similar to the art on the Japanese Final Fantasy games. The movie had little dialogue, and was mostly told through the animation. If you are tired of typical fantasy, sci-fi, action-oriented anime, then give this a shot. It's very slow paced, but worth it. It baffles me this movie was considered a failure when it first came out.

Perfect Blue is in my top 5. Never seen Angels Egg, I'll have to check it out.

I saw Perfect Blue at a small downtown Seattle movie theater when it came out. I remember walking out of the movie feeling FUCKED up. Great movie.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
One anime that really moved me was Grave of the Fireflies, the sadness is haunting. Do not recommend...

When my wife was a kid the theater was playing a double feature of Grave of the Fireflies / Totoro. She said it was REALLY messed up. Didn't fully comprehend the GotF story, but was super sad.. then super excited to see TOTORO!

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Watch all of the Satoshi Kon.

ALL of it, damn you.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
When my wife was a kid the theater was playing a double feature of Grave of the Fireflies / Totoro. She said it was REALLY messed up. Didn't fully comprehend the GotF story, but was super sad.. then super excited to see TOTORO!

This is how both of those movies actually debuted in cinemas, and it's pretty much the worst double bill of all time.

Although both films are excellent indivually.