Just picked up a Neo Geo MVS 6 - Slot - help me!

Nuclear Neo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hi everyone, im fairly new to the neo geo scene and after a few weeks a neo geo MVS popped up for sale on ebay, today i picked up the Neo Geo MVS 6 slot arcade machine, they said it has a monitor fault but i figured id still buy it because they rarely pop up on ebay australia especially in the location i am at. it was 450.00 Australian dollars and it came with 4 games - so far im very pleased with it!

Upon turning it on, you can hear the start up sequence and then the game, the sound, coin mechanism, joystick, buttons they all work (i'm not sure about the game select button.... when i press the button it doesnt change to the next game it only seems to want to play the game in the 1st slot.

The screen however is just black and does not display anything whatsoever. I've figured that the motherboard works fine as it can detect the game and play the music that the game has, just the monitor does not display... i'm not sure if its the chassis or the monitor, im happy to replace whatever is the problem and i am willing to pay the price for it :)

Another question... the Neo Geo cabinet isnt in the best of condition, i wouldnt mind replacing the front control panel overlay and the side logo art sticker that says NEO-GEO - is it possible to buy replacements if so where should i look into getting replacements?

I will post some pictures as soon as i have the chance... does anyone know if im allowed to post website links in threads? Thanks

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
From what 6 slot owners have told me, they are very picky boards. You need to insert 1 cart at a time starting with the first slot. If the game in slot 1 works then insert another game in slot 2. If slot 2 game won't select use a different one until it works then move on to slot 3 and so on.

This is of course assuming your cats and contacts are clean and the backup battery isn't leaking.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
It's true,my 6 slot has certain problems when 2 certain games are next to eachother.When i seperate them with another game in between,no problems at all.
Oh yeah,it also hates Pop n Bounce it will start the game up on the first time around.After game select coming back to it,it blacks out.Had the same issue with 3 different copies of PnB.They all worked fine on my 1 slot.And the unibios didn't make a difference either.Really weird,not a real issue to me though.

Nuclear Neo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Yeah, since the monitor doesnt work i'm not sure what game is coming on, but ive fiddled with the cartridges and sometimes the switch will change the game and sometimes it wont.... if its set on one game and starts playing... you cant automatically press the button and change to another one can you? you have to wait for the game to end?

It is very dirty inside, i've found coins, bits of paper, wrapping, fluff and junk inside it lol, il give it all a good clean and the cartridges at some point but first thing i want to do is fix the monitor, 2 neo geo mvs popped up on ebay near by where i live but they both had monitor problems, it must be pretty common, especially when the one i got looks like the original monitor and original glass.

How easy is it to replace buttons? on my control panel it has a whole range of different looking buttons and i'd prefer it having the normal coloured buttons i think it was like blue red green yellow or something... instead it has white buttons, translucent buttons and stuff.

Thanks for the comments everyone by the way :)

Nuclear Neo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Here are some images of the Neo Geo 6 slot, the cabinet, the insides from the front and back - enjoy!

The Neo Geo MVS arcade cabinet:

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae14/Nuclear_Neo/?action=view&current=neogeo6slotcabinet.jpg

The Front inside of the Neo Geo MVS arcade cabinet:

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae14/Nuclear_Neo/?action=view&current=frontofneogeo6slot.jpg

The inside from the back of the Neo Geo MVS arcade cabinet:

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae14/Nuclear_Neo/?action=view&current=backofneogeo6slot.jpg

I was so suprised at the weight of this thing! it was so heavy! - I also noticed that Australia got different styled arcade cabinets compared to the American one... i had a peek at that MVS website that has comparisons of all the Neo Geo MVS systems.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
What are the ratings on that power supply? Terminal power supplies aren't the best for a 6-slotter. It needs more juice.

What is wrong with the monitor? Does it just not get power? What type of monitor is it?

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
What are the ratings on that power supply? Terminal power supplies aren't the best for a 6-slotter. It needs more juice.
A 15A arcade power supply should be capable of powering 3 6-slotters. 2 certainly isn't a problem.

Last edited:

Nuclear Neo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I've tested the power supply and it is sending power to the chassis, the chassis has some capacitors that look pretty much dead (one is like bulging out like its leaked or something) , ive E-mailed a man who lives near by who fixes Chassis and monitors etc , so when i send my chassis to him and when he fixes it/ replaces dead capacitors and sends it back i'll let you guys know if it was the chassis, if its not that then it has to be the monitor.

No power is going to the monitor at all, power is going to the chassis and the chassis isnt doing its job, you turn the neo geo mvs on and the game starts up and you can press buttons and insert coins just like your playing it, the monitor is just blank though.

When i picked up the neo geo 6 slot MVS the man said that he was playing it one day and the monitor just went dead and so it has been ever since.
Thanks for all the help everyone i appreciate it!

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
You should get a couple more MVS games (to fill up all 6 slots). That way you can test it with all the slots being filled.
Are you in Adelaide? There was one that came up recently in Adelaide... don't remember if it was a 6-slot.

Nuclear Neo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I hope not :conf:

Are you in Melbourne by any chance? If so I could probably give you a hand.

Haha, my bad - i'm not sure how to say it lol.... im only 17 and my dads doing most of this fixing :) i was the one who bought it though :D

I live in Port Augusta, South Australia ;)