Just paid my own salary (mostly)

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
I took over the North American IT department of a company based out of New Zealand recently.
Of all the things they handed off to me, the one I wasn't looking forward to the most was the Verizon Wireless account.
Last month I broke down and went through all of the lines. I found:
A few lines that were still in use by former employees (by over a year).
Over 30 lines for tablets (no longer in use by the business).
A dozen full lines that were simply not in use (and even a few with phones that aren't supported by VZW network any more!).

Our monthly bill just dropped from $2750/month to $915/month.

Not sure why I'm telling everybody this, aside from having a brief moment of professional pride. And laughing at the stupidity of NOT having someone keeping track of things like that.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I took over the North American IT department of a company based out of New Zealand recently.
Of all the things they handed off to me, the one I wasn't looking forward to the most was the Verizon Wireless account.
Last month I broke down and went through all of the lines. I found:
A few lines that were still in use by former employees (by over a year).
Over 30 lines for tablets (no longer in use by the business).
A dozen full lines that were simply not in use (and even a few with phones that aren't supported by VZW network any more!).

Our monthly bill just dropped from $2750/month to $915/month.

Not sure why I'm telling everybody this, aside from having a brief moment of professional pride. And laughing at the stupidity of NOT having someone keeping track of things like that.
wow

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
dumb it down for us why your bill went from that much to so little

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
When you say 'our' I took it for your family

Now I see it's for your company

OK

Congratulations

Your life is still shit

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Nice, so you just gave more money to someone that doesn't give two shits about you.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
Nice, so you just gave more money to someone that doesn't give two shits about you.

So negative...
No, last month I had a kidney stone. Went to ER on recommendation of Urgent Care doc (thought it might be appendix). AFTER insurance, ended up with a $2250 bill. Went to my boss and told him that I couldn't afford to live on my current salary. I asked for a $6k raise. He gave me an $8k raise.
So yeah...pretty decent company.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Well done is better than well said. Good job.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
You run an IT department for the North American region of a multi-national company yet only get paid $2000 a month?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
You run an IT department for the North American region of a multi-national company yet only get paid $2000 a month?

He needs to get into the box finding business to rake in the big bucks.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member

This,
Something doesn't add up here - If you're acting director or management level for an entire IT department - you're getting cucked to the max.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
This,
Something doesn't add up here - If you're acting director or management level for an entire IT department - you're getting cucked to the max.

Hence why I said they don't give two shits about you. He's getting raped and I'm the negative one.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
I see where the misunderstanding is. I'm NOT the admin in any way. My boss in New Zealand is the IT admin for the entire company. I am the ONLY IT tech for the NA office, but I am still basically just an IT tech. And the numbers are significantly off, I said "mostly" because it's more than %50. So technically, I'm correct. Which is the best kind of correct.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
So negative...
No, last month I had a kidney stone. Went to ER on recommendation of Urgent Care doc (thought it might be appendix). AFTER insurance, ended up with a $2250 bill.

Damn son. When I went to go git checked out for wat ended up being a kidney stone my bill was $15 after insurance.

(i'm in the box finding business)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The company I work for does telecommunication bill audits like this so to me this news just bores me to death.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
$2000 per month is nothing to scoff at - that could buy 8000 chicken nuggets from Wendys. That’s like enough food to feed all of Mypos.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
My experience with remote IT support:

"Have you power failed the machine?"

Yes

"Then the issue is at your end."