Just got home with my new cab!

JediKiller

n00b
I've wanted a cab for a long time, and sunday everything came together for me to finally get one. I found this listed on craigs list, and went to see it sunday, loved it, put a deposit down and went back to pick it up today. I negotiated the seller down to $450, which included the 4 games inside (puzzle bobble, SS2, Metal Slug X, and SVC chaos.) It's in really great shape. The owners were an older couple that had a large game room with a burger time cocktail, this, and a pinball machine 'the getaway' (which I really tried to buy once I saw it, but they said that was staying with them) They told me they acquired the neo about a year ago from an arcade distribution place, and they had had it cleaned and tuned up. The monitor is great, nice bright picture, no burn in. The sides are in fantastic condition, the red is nice and bright, and the neo labels are great on both sides.
The memory card reader and headphone plugs all work, so that was cool. The previous owner didn't even know about them when I asked if they worked. I had to show them they were there, and explain the memory card.

The only downsides so far are: there was a set of keys hanging off the coin mec inside. They told me they had never opened any part of the machine (it came with the 4 games in it, and they never got more), but were told when they got the machine that these were the keys for it. Well, turns out I don't think they are. The only lock is on the marquee, and these keys do not open that lock. I'm bummed about that, as the marquee is not lighting up, and the mini's that are in it are very faded, so I'd like to be able to open it up and poke around in there a bit to see if I can get it working again.
The other minor downside is that the coin mecs are reversed. If you drop a coin in the player 2 slot(or tap the wire manually), it registers player 1. The coin mec on player one side seems out of alignement, it's sorta cockeyed in it's bracket, so the only way to get player 2 to register is to manually hit the wire. The locks were removed from the coin doors, but the mecs are there, and the coin bucket is there.
One other small disappointment when I opened the CP to look at the boards (And to put in some of my own games) I discovered that the case for metal slug x is cracked pretty bad, and it's missing 2 screws, and there's a small chunck missing out of the SVC chaos cart too. Not a huge deal to me as I all ready own both of those carts in great condition.

So as a new cab owner, I was trying to search the site for any faqs or guides for new owners, but the search function gave me an error? If anyone could point me towards any such faqs, I'd appreciate it. Especially something to explain how the coin mecs work, so I could try to get them functioning properly and wired to the correct side.

Thanks for the long read....guess I got carried away in my excitement :D

here's a couple pics:

neocab.jpg

neoside.jpg

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Cool man, im going to pic mines up tommorrow :D. Not quite as minty as your though but still a great feeling no doubt .

I have the same exact cab. To get into the cab grab a drill and just open op the back and go from there. When I opened mine up I found other games that fell in the back!!!!

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Sweet cab. Consider me jealous, I have no room for one at my place.

Daedalus

If there's a Bandwagon. I'm on it!
Very nice find/buy. Cab looks to be in excellent shape.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I'd take $450 for a cab and 4 games with a few issues. All that is very fixable too. Congrats

astar617

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Looks good, congrats. Did you have any hardware before that? I see you have been a member here for years.

JediKiller

n00b
Looks good, congrats. Did you have any hardware before that? I see you have been a member here for years.

Yes, when I joined I had (still have) an AES and a NGPC, then I got a neo CD, and a little over a year ago I bought a CMVS from Tonk and have been building a small collection of MVS carts since then. (up to 25 games now)
So I've had lots of neo stuff, just finally got a cab today. loving it so far!

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
grats man i wish i had room for a cab, but no chance in my apt so i got a cmvs instead. im extremely jealous lol

TheBakachan

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Congrats on the fine MVS-4-25 Ver1. :D

If you don't have the key for the marquee lock, take the screws out of the metal piece at the top and lift the marquee out. You should then be able to undo the nuts on the marquee lock, remove it, and replace it with a new one. Might I suggest getting 3 new keyed-alike locks and replacing them all? :)

And like Terry said, open up the back above the PSU and have a look-see, make sure it's clean and there's no wiring issues. I opened mine up, and found that the PSU was dead and the AC pass-through was being used to power one of those little screw-terminal ones, lol. (Had no idea, thing worked when switched on, afterall.) Luckily I had a NEO cab PSU on-hand for testing purposes. :D

Oh, and unless the one on mine was added-on, there's an L-shaped steel plate that slides down through metal bars on the back wall of the cabinet and serves to make the lower back panel un-removable unless you have the keys to the machine. (Because you have to reach all the way back through the CP and pull the plate out.)

I don't know about the coin mechs though, sorry.

BIGTIME

Galford's Armourer
Great buy! congrats on the being the proud, new owner of that beauiful cab

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Congrats. Like others have said, you'll want to be able to open from the back panel, even if there's no problem and it's just for cleaning the inside.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
beautiful cab, I just got a similar one that also came with random keys that don't work lol.

ALSO, just search:

LED minimarquee lighting - PROTOTYPE FORTHCOMING

and you will find a thread that has a member making OLED units to repair the blown out bulbs, I am jumping on that.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Congrats! I remember when I bought my first big red. I know exactly how you feel. Very nice cab.

Ricter1439

n00b
When I picked up my 2-slot cab a few weeks ago I found this site pretty informative. http://www.hardmvs.com/ I was able to print out the manual for my cab type as well it he has a few projects you can do to your cab. I was able to solder in a pause button that I mounted to the control panel with a little toggle switch. It works perfect and only took me about 10 min to do.

James

JediKiller

n00b
Congrats on the fine MVS-4-25 Ver1. :D

If you don't have the key for the marquee lock, take the screws out of the metal piece at the top and lift the marquee out. You should then be able to undo the nuts on the marquee lock, remove it, and replace it with a new one. Might I suggest getting 3 new keyed-alike locks and replacing them all? :)

Oh, and unless the one on mine was added-on, there's an L-shaped steel plate that slides down through metal bars on the back wall of the cabinet and serves to make the lower back panel un-removable unless you have the keys to the machine. (Because you have to reach all the way back through the CP and pull the plate out.)

I don't know about the coin mechs though, sorry.

Thanks for the tip on taking the screws out of the top, I think that's a much better soultion than drilling out the lock, so I'm going to try that first. (*and* get all new, matching locks for all the doors) Can anyone tell me the proper size lock for the coin doors and marquee? I'm seeing 5/8", 7/8", and 1 1/8" sizes.

As for the L shaped steel plate: that was not present on mine. There were 4 screws on the back panel, and that was all that was holding it there. (no surprises found back there....power unit looks right, no lost carts or other treasure either as someone else suggested.) Now it may be that since my cab was sold into 'home ownership' prior to me getting it, it may be that the bracket you speak of was removed on mine (although I don't see any evidence that there was anything there).....or like you said, it could be an add on to yours, anyone know which is standard?

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Well, after a 6 hour round trip ive finally got my first cab , will post pics soonbut i'm going to need you guys to give me tips and pointers on pimping up to near glory. Needs a fucking good clean first

When I picked up my 2-slot cab a few weeks ago I found this site pretty informative. http://www.hardmvs.com/ I was able to print out the manual for my cab type as well it he has a few projects you can do to your cab. I was able to solder in a pause button that I mounted to the control panel with a little toggle switch. It works perfect and only took me about 10 min to do.

James

WOW I would like to try a Pause button, how do I do that?