just bought 2 astro city cabs

bay

Armored Scrum Object
what should i know about these cabs?

my first guess is that ill need stepdown converters 120v to 100v?

secondly i expect ill be cleaning these suckers up =)

thirdly i hope these monitors are in good condition, workable to say the least.. ill find out when i get to firing it up... probably after i get the stepdown converters?

i have new buttons and sticks to replace whats there, but ill probably also be fabricating new panels anyway. i was thinking of a base aluminum, graphics layer, then thin plexi. this a good or bad idea? anyone have experience in making cps?

one cp is an astro city graphics with 2 players, 3 button config with a plug in the third for each player. the other is a 1 player sammy guilty gear cp configuration.

if anyone is interested in these panels just say so, since ill be making new panels these are to the FS section.

omgwtfcandycabs.jpg

theres the standard side scuffing, and yellowing of the cabinet. i'm probably going with a repaint of white gloss, unless you guys have a better idea.

more pictures and whatnot when i get them in the apt and unpacked.

bay

Armored Scrum Object
both work! awesome!

candy1.jpg

playing horizontal fighters vertically is not suggested to alleviate neck pain..

candy2.jpg

and finally got to play this puppy since my supergun doesn't like it :D

candy3.jpg

:chimp:

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Ah Ketsui, very nice choice and an easy way to kill a couple hours:glee:

bay

Armored Scrum Object
cleaned up the guilty gear xx midnight carnival control panel. the buttons and stick operate fine, buttons are a bit used and need some extra plastic or maybe some resin put around them to keep them from spinning (2 out of the 5) but work fine, stick has rust on it but works, i'll clean the rust off and polish it.

i've had some interest in this panel before i got to cleaning it, it's in great shape. the only real pain was removing some tape residue.. why was it taped? no idea.

back of the panel has a sanwa stick mount on it.

sammy400-1.jpg

sammy400-2.jpg

sammy400-3.jpg

nice looking panel, too bad sammy likes 5 btns and i want 6. :chimp:

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
Very nice cabinets you got there. While we're talking about Astro City cabinets: does anyone happen to have an original complete JAMMA harness for an Astro City? I need one.

bay

Armored Scrum Object
GrimDog said:
where did you buy them from?

i got these off ebay, great seller to work with (ju707) i'm keeping in touch with him, i'll post when he informs me he has more candy cabinets.

Piratero said:
Very nice cabinets you got there. While we're talking about Astro City cabinets: does anyone happen to have an original complete JAMMA harness for an Astro City? I need one.

i'm looking at either getting the connectors (i have 2 new harnesses that need to be connected into the astro city connectors) _or_ the complete harnesses soon, if you are interested in getting some i'll tack them onto my order.

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
bay said:
i'm looking at either getting the connectors (i have 2 new harnesses that need to be connected into the astro city connectors) _or_ the complete harnesses soon, if you are interested in getting some i'll tack them onto my order.

Really? well, I want to know a few things first. Do you have any images of the actual complete harness? When I mean complete, I mean ready to plug in to the PSU, control panel, and coin mech. I'm looking for the absolute original stock JAMMA connection (I'm anal about this.) What's the price? when are you going to order? any images? from who?

bay

Armored Scrum Object
Piratero said:
Really? well, I want to know a few things first. Do you have any images of the actual complete harness? When I mean complete, I mean ready to plug in to the PSU, control panel, and coin mech. I'm looking for the absolute original stock JAMMA connection (I'm anal about this.) What's the price? when are you going to order? any images? from who?

i'll ask about original stock astro city harnesses, i dont think the ones i've found thus far are _stock_, but rather homebrew made with the proper connectors.

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
bay said:
i'll ask about original stock astro city harnesses, i dont think the ones i've found thus far are _stock_, but rather homebrew made with the proper connectors.

I've had a bit of a problem with Matsu in terms of trying to communicate with him... Damn that language barrier! Anyways, if you can get more info, that would be great!

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Yeah holla if you can source Astro City cabinet full harnesses. Its always good to have spares when it comes to candies...

-B

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
I'm also looking for a few other things... like nuts and bolts to an Astro City control panel, that thingie that turns the flourescent bulb on...

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Piratero said:
I'm also looking for a few other things... like nuts and bolts to an Astro City control panel, that thingie that turns the flourescent bulb on...

The thingie that turns the flourescent bulb on is called the Driver. I'm pretty sure its just a 15watt flourescent driver. As for nuts and bolts, contact Per over at akhibarashop.com. He's got all of the funky metrics hardware that is used in candy cabs. Its so lame... you need to source the freakin screws on these things overseas LOL.

-B

bay

Armored Scrum Object
billd420 said:
The thingie that turns the flourescent bulb on is called the Driver. I'm pretty sure its just a 15watt flourescent driver. As for nuts and bolts, contact Per over at akhibarashop.com. He's got all of the funky metrics hardware that is used in candy cabs. Its so lame... you need to source the freakin screws on these things overseas LOL.
-B

exactly the kinda off stuff thats annoying, seeing that you can't walk into most hardware stores and have a good selection of metric bolts, nuts, etc.

and, even if you find something comparable, things like the threading is off.. ARRGHHH! :very_ang:

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
billd420 said:

-B

Don't you mean a 20w fluorescent driver? Yeah, I'll have to talk to Per again...

Where is it exactly? I already bought a 20w fluorescent bulb and it doesn't light up.

Last edited:

bay

Armored Scrum Object
Piratero said:
Don't you mean a 20w fluorescent driver? Yeah, I'll have to talk to Per again...

last i read the astro city manual there was a 15W =)

as for the starter.. or driver.. i think thats the little bulb like thing?

the ballast is the white box that is part of the circuit..

any one of these things could be the reason it doesn't work, but i don't think you want to be using a 20W with a 15W starter or ballast..

someone correct me please. ;)

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
bay said:
last i read the astro city manual there was a 15W =)

as for the starter.. or driver.. i think thats the little bulb like thing?

the ballast is the white box that is part of the circuit..

any one of these things could be the reason it doesn't work, but i don't think you want to be using a 20W with a 15W starter or ballast..

someone correct me please. ;)

My other Astro has a 20w fluorescent bulb; it works just fine. Also, I don't have the tiny bulb in either of them. It could be that its electricity is not getting to the bulb from the harness? The harness itself is pretty fucked up. Button D wires for both players fell off when I received it :crying:

HBCoffin

NEST Puppet
Nice astros! How much did you end up spending on those babies? No need to answer if that's a secret, haha. How do you like 'em?

HBCoffin

NEST Puppet
Oh yeah, and what kind of supergun do you have? I'm thinking of eventually getting a MasSystems one and I want to know what boards are nicely compatible for it, so far I just hear the AW has some button problems.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
bay said:
and finally got to play this puppy since my supergun doesn't like it :D

that means no Ketsui for me. :( ...lol.. nah it don't matter, i'm not into shmups anyways. strickly neo and atomiswave this time around.

those are really nice cabs you got there, you weren't lying when you said you didn't need a supergun anymore. That Guilty Gear panel is Teh HOtness!. congrats.

HBCoffin said:
Oh yeah, and what kind of supergun do you have? I'm thinking of eventually getting a MasSystems one and I want to know what boards are nicely compatible for it, so far I just hear the AW has some button problems.

you shouldn't have a problem playing stuff on MAS superguns. I had one, and you can't go wrong with them. They pretty much play everything.

The supergun i'm getting from bay is one of d-lites older componet superguns.

Last edited:

bay

Armored Scrum Object
HBCoffin said:

yah i had a d-lite component supergun i traded to INfintido, nice output but i hear that the JROK encoders are happier with more video signals than the neobitz encoder.

INfintido said:
that means no Ketsui for me. :( ...lol.. nah it don't matter, i'm not into shmups anyways. strickly neo and atomiswave this time around.

the picture would come through just in no color or off colors, sometimes only via the composite and not the component. hopefully it'll be compatible with everything you through on it. if not you could probably pop it open and do some tweaking.

INfintido said:
those are really nice cabs you got there, you weren't lying when you said you didn't need a supergun anymore. That Guilty Gear panel is Teh HOtness!. congrats.

yah im holding onto the panel atm since they were pretty expensive to pick up LE panels from sanwa. theres a guy on YAJ selling the 2 piece set for 45,000 yen.

been playing espgaluda for like 2 hours, time to stop the madness!

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
bay said:
...been playing espgaluda for like 2 hours, time to stop the madness!
What a great game. Sadly, I might be selling my PCB soon... I need some room for other shmups!

bay

Armored Scrum Object
Piratero said:
What a great game. Sadly, I might be selling my PCB soon... I need some room for other shmups!

i just read up on the strategy threads in shmupsforum... might actually help me get a reasonable score now.

definately staying in my cab for another week at least, gotta get some respectable scores first.

dunno exactly how one pcb takes up room, but getting new games is cool =]