JP AES on EUR Samsung = no love

Caprica Orange

Pao Pao cafe VIP,
20 Year Member
Hey guys, I had some friends over and wanted to play my AES on my LCD screen in the living room which appears to be a no-go. The screen flickers as if it tries to change channels. The graphics are clear and nice between the flickering but its just unplayable.

I did some searching here and noticed more people having problems on LCD tv's but never real (working) results. It works fine on my CRT tv using the same RGB cable I tried on my LCD tv. I tried it on another LCD tv which also went completely bonkers on the signal. I can use a Super Famicom, MD, SS and DC all with RGB perfectly fine on the Samsung, its just the AES...

My serial is 001116 (JP) and I use an RGB cable.

Is there a cheap solution for this without altering my AES (too much??) I'm a newbie on this one so baby steps please.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
If the European LCD is capable of 60Hz, then the problem lies with the Neo Geo's odd sync rate. 59.94hz is the standard NTSC refresh rate. The AES revisions 3-3 to 3-6 have a refresh rate of 61.18hz. 1st and 2nd gen revisions are 59.18Hz.

Going by the serial number, your AES probably has a refresh rate of 59.18Hz.

That difference in refresh rates is probably why your TV can't keep up with the Neo.... Or the Neo can't match correctly with the TV. :p

There might be a way to fix it, by changing the 24MHz crystal in the Neo Geo, but I haven't heard from anyone if that worked or not.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Assuming yours is the one with the daughterboard, you need to swap out the 100uf/68ohm cap resistor on the sync line for a 470uf/75ohm.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
In the first pic, the cap on the right is for composite video, the one right next to it is for sync.

If that pic is of your board then you have the 1st gen that has no daughter board.

Caprica Orange

Pao Pao cafe VIP,
20 Year Member
Yup I took the pics of my board. I'll get a 470uf/75ohm cap/resistor set tomorrow and try! Thanks so far.

Caprica Orange

Pao Pao cafe VIP,
20 Year Member
It did the trick! But now I see something else I havent seen on my CRT tv. Every inch or so there's a horizontal wavy line straight through the screen from top to bottom. Like some parts are out of sync. This is also only on the LCD tv.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Sounds like a dirty sync. You can try moving the sync by lifting the positive leg of the cap and running a wire from it to pin 11 on the CXA1145 or just remove the cap and resistor and run a wire from pin 11 to the output pin of where the resistor used to be. This is assuming the socket uses pin 10 for sync. You might want to check with a multimeter. If it's from pin 11 then change it to 10.

Caprica Orange

Pao Pao cafe VIP,
20 Year Member
Will try that! But I should say now I've actually seen it on my LCD without flashing/skipping I almost crawled back to the CRT....

Caprica Orange

Pao Pao cafe VIP,
20 Year Member
Just for someone in Europe that might run into the same problem I had with my Samsung LCD, I traded my JPN AES for a modded PAL one (60hz mod/Unibios with serial 041xxx) and it works flawless, gives a very nice and stable RGB signal. Haven't got a clue if the pal board differs from the JPN board but it works!