Joystick problem (JAMMA)

ptrix4u2c

Mega Shock!!
I have a Super Neo 29 cab and I'm having trouble with P1's down direction. From time to time it the down direction isn't responding. I've swapped the joystick with P2's and noticed that the problem isn't the joystick itself so I'm assuming it's the JAMMA harness. Is there a way to replace or repair a single wire? Any good FAQs with pictures? Thanks.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Last edited:

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
What you need to do depends on how your harness is wired. Some of them just have waier disconnects with something hilding it in place (shrink tube) so that it doesn't move. It may not even be the harness, but maybe the wire connecting between, which is where I'd start before rewiring an entire harness. Do you have a pic of your harness?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I would clear the back up ram first as it can cause a alot of weird stuff to happen. Also if you have a multimeter check continuity from the down direction to the MVS mobo, if you get a steady ready it ain't the wire. Check the plugs themselves for any corrosion or dirty and clean them.

ptrix4u2c

Mega Shock!!
I would clear the back up ram first as it can cause a alot of weird stuff to happen. Also if you have a multimeter check continuity from the down direction to the MVS mobo, if you get a steady ready it ain't the wire. Check the plugs themselves for any corrosion or dirty and clean them.

Tried clearing the backup ram and cleaning the jamma connector, but I'm still having the problem. Sadly I don't have a multimeter.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Sadly I don't have a multimeter.

A multimeter is essential to have. Aside from continuity tests for wiring or board issues, you can check power supply voltage as well. Any Radio Shack or Home Depot will have them.

ptrix4u2c

Mega Shock!!
Switched out my 1-slot board with a 2-slot and haven't had any trouble all day. Weird. I'm putting the 1-slot back in tomorrow and seeing how it goes.