Jim Varney died?

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
...16 years ago?

...at 51 years of age?

First - I thought he was like 60 in Ernest Goes to Camp. He was 38.

But that's not what this thread is about.

My kids are 6, 8, 10, and 13. Every Saturday night we put on a movie for them after spending the day together. Usually around 930. Lately it has been harder and harder to find something they can all enjoy equally.

The 6yo girl still likes stuff like Little Einsteins and Pooh.

The 8 and 10 yo boys like TMNT, Transformers, Superhero movies, etc.

My 13 yo daughter likes Harry Potter, The Guardians, and Spiderwick Chronicles.

Last night we put on Ernest Goes to Camp. They'd all seen it before and I recalled they liked it, but that was a good 2 years ago - tastes really change in 2 years, but once again, all 4 of them cracked up repeatedly. It was nice to see.

What other movies do you guys/gals recommend that are understandable to a 6yo, but not too kiddy for a 13 yo.

A couple others they all sem to enjoy are:
Lemony Snickets
Kicking and Screaming

...and that's all I can think of. Jim Varney died too young.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
our son is younger but we've hit this up recently (I'm avoiding the modern stuff as I assume you don't need those referred )

Cloak & Dagger - is available on HBO GO
Dark Crystal
Select of NiMH
Labyrinth

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Ernest goes to jail.

Yeah - meant to imply they like all the Ernests.

Pee Wee is a good one. I'd bet they might like Mr. Bean too.

They are very Wonka'd out - we all like that one; but we watched the heck out of both of them.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Ernest was the man. And the best natural gas spokesman ever.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
our son is younger but we've hit this up recently (I'm avoiding the modern stuff as I assume you don't need those referred )

Dark Crystal
Select of NiMH
Labyrinth

Dabney Coleman is gonna get ya.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Dark Crystal
Select of NiMH
Labyrinth
YES!!!

Kinda long the same line as Cloak and Dagger:
The Last Starfighter (although, you might dig it more than the little ones)
Flight of the Navigator (Not sure how well this one holds up, but I loved it as a kid)

Twins
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Goonies

Probably too violent for the youngest one, but I LOVED Big Trouble in Little China as a kid.

If they haven't seen Ernest Scared Stupid, that needs to be fixed. Probably his best, although all his movies are great.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
my kiddo is 4 and shes been able to sit through:
Hugo
Coraline
Goonies (a bit of language in this one)
Matilda
Labyrinth
Never Ending Story
Hook
Hocus Pocus

xorthen

Banned
...16 years ago?

...at 51 years of age?

First - I thought he was like 60 in Ernest Goes to Camp. He was 38.

But that's not what this thread is about.

My kids are 6, 8, 10, and 13. Every Saturday night we put on a movie for them after spending the day together. Usually around 930. Lately it has been harder and harder to find something they can all enjoy equally.

The 6yo girl still likes stuff like Little Einsteins and Pooh.

The 8 and 10 yo boys like TMNT, Transformers, Superhero movies, etc.

My 13 yo daughter likes Harry Potter, The Guardians, and Spiderwick Chronicles.

Last night we put on Ernest Goes to Camp. They'd all seen it before and I recalled they liked it, but that was a good 2 years ago - tastes really change in 2 years, but once again, all 4 of them cracked up repeatedly. It was nice to see.

What other movies do you guys/gals recommend that are understandable to a 6yo, but not too kiddy for a 13 yo.

A couple others they all sem to enjoy are:
Lemony Snickets
Kicking and Screaming

...and that's all I can think of. Jim Varney died too young.
Dennis the Menace the movie and Home Alone. I used to crack up when I was a kid at both uncontrollably.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yup, I found out like last week after watching a WatchMojo video on youtube. Didn't even know. My favorite is always the "Electro-Man".

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Goonies is a favorite of theirs. We usually do that one and The Great Outdoors the last week of school. Great Outdoors has some language that isn't needed - but it still holds up. Anything with John Candy is just gold. Summer Rental is another, but again, the two boob scenes just weren't needed for that kind of movie, but meh.

@Ope - Coraline and Hocus Pocus are both in our October rotation for sure. Coraline and Corpse Bride both have great soundtracks. The Elfman / Burton combo is so strong.

Labyrinth, Never Ending Story, and Flight of the Navigator are ones I loved as a kid - but they just don't get in to. All 3 suffer with special effects maybe - we didn't know any better, but my kids at least have seemed somewhat bored with all 3 of those.

Cloak and Dagger I havent hear of - will check it out.

I think I liked Problem Child, but maybe I didn't. Memory is fuzzy on that one.

My kids do love Jingle All The Way and they've never seen Twins (neither have I) - safe for littler ears? Random curses here and there we tolerate - but non-stop stuff we pass on.

@jibs - yeah, I went to bed before 9pm until I was 14. When we turned 15 it was our choice - home by 9 and bed whenever - idea being you were gonna be up at 630 either way, so it's up to you to get enough sleep.

My kids - dunno; that's been a weakness. The youngest one is a bear if she doesn't get 10 hours - so we wrestle her and stick to it, takes an hour to get her down sometimes, but she is always out by 9. The older 3 - it's just sorta whenever. The 13 yo can stay up later than us - she just doesn't get tired. She's a great kid and does extremely well in school - so while we don't love it - we don't push it either. She's much more mature than me so we let her make that decision.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
My kids as well as my niece and nephew loved Short Circuit.

Also maybe check out Batteries not included and Great Outdoors.

Last edited:

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Not a movie, but Avatar the Last Airbender (the tv series).

Can the six year old see animated blood?

I'd recommend Spirited Away, but there is a scene where a dragon is severely injured and thrashing so a bit of animated blood.

Kiki's Delivery Service is great, but its not very action heavy.

Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa, Laputa, and Howl's Moving Castle are also very good films, but each have a handful of very intense violence. (Especially Howl's)

Have you tried Last Unicorn, Princess Bride, or Sword in the Stone ?

Other tv series to try: Slayers, the animation is a bit bad, but its an action comedy fantasy series. Gargyoles, Duck Tales, Kim Possible

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
My 4 and 11 yo have both been enjoying ghost busters 1 and 2 a lot lately. Most other movies I was going to say have already been mentioned. Most the 80s movies they have really taken too, although there is a bit of language in almost all of them. Nothing my 11 year old hasn't already heard as she's been allowed to watch pg13 for a good while, but I do cringe a bit knowing the little one will eventually add words like Ass and shit to her vocab before too long.

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
Second on the princess bride. I'm not sure if your girl would dig it, but the diary of a wimpy kid movies have pretty wide appeal in my family

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
I'd recommend Spirited Away, but there is a scene where a dragon is severely injured and thrashing so a bit of animated blood.

Kiki's Delivery Service is great, but its not very action heavy.

Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa, Laputa, and Howl's Moving Castle are also very good films, but each have a handful of very intense violence. (Especially Howl's)

My 4 yr old watches all the Ghibli stuff except Princess Mononoke i think its a bit too violent for him, Kudos on mentioning Ghibli films these can be totally age group family films

Don't forget the Great Outdoors. That film is fucking fantastic.

Best Candy family flick

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
My 4 yr old watches all the Ghibli stuff except Princess Mononoke i think its a bit too violent for him, Kudos on mentioning Ghibli films these can be totally age group family films

You're right! Yeah scratch Mononoke off that list I posted. Good catch.