Japanese AES Power Supply

acampero

Quiz Detective
Hello,

Just got an imported Japanese AES system, and I noticed that the power supply is for Japan only and not good for US.

Any help would be suggested.

Do I need an adaptor or a new power supply? I don't want to fry this thing.

Arn

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
You can either use an adapter or another power supply whichever is easier to find/ cheapest.

Try the search function next time.

cheers,
-DT

acampero

Quiz Detective
Thanks.

I did a search a few different ways and got this

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 25165824 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/www/neo-geo/forums/search.php on line 1062

lavalyte

New Challenger
acampero said:
Thanks.

I did a search a few different ways and got this

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 25165824 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/www/neo-geo/forums/search.php on line 1062

If it helps, I'm running my euro AES with a megadrive model I adapter.

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
Actually, Japanese adapter might work. It should take from ~100v to 120v.

if not, I'm fairly certain it uses a standard supply, so...

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
What's the output of the adaptor?
You should be fine using the original one.
BB

Xavier

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
20 Year Member
Your in the US right?
The Us and Japanese use 100-120 volts 50-60 hz or somthing.
Now ive read numerous posts from people talking about how there worried about the the extra or less hz ruining a system.
Back in the day I used to buy japanese systems and import them to America(eight months before they came out in the US), and Ive also had a handfull of Japanese stereo components and ive never used a converter and had any problems.
In fact I have a Japanese Aes and plug
(the plugs the only way I know its Japanese) again no problems.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Isn't there some crap about two different AES models, running at different (5v vs 9v) voltages? You should double-check the output voltage and pin-polarity, whatever you do.

acampero

Quiz Detective
I'll check when I get home.

I think the adaptor is not an original one as it had a piece of tape that said Neo Geo AES across it.

Hope I dont screw it up!

One other question. On boot without a cartridge, nothing is supposed to come up correct? Because the NEO has only 64k of ram, I didn't think it had even a splash screen unless a cartridge is in. Reason I ask is because I dont have an AES cart yet to test it out.

*Richter*

Banned
SpamYouToDeath said:
Isn't there some crap about two different AES models, running at different (5v vs 9v) voltages? You should double-check the output voltage and pin-polarity, whatever you do.

Ya,
I heard about this before...
Check it out man, because if you fire up your system with to much voltage^^

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
With the dc output, the AES has a built in 7805 5 violt regulator, so anything between say 6 to 20 volts dc input will work.

Last edited:

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Can't you just use a U.S. Power Supply on a Japanese Neo. I used to. Maybe I wasn't supposed to.
Someone please confirm.

The Neo Store sell U.S. power supplies.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
You can interchange ac adapters only if the Japanese unit has an input of AC 100V and an output of DC 5V 3A
BB

Xavier

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
20 Year Member
Hey I cursed myself.
I found these paslinko machines.
I took them home to see what was the matter with them.
Looks like they were plugged in with the internal switches set at 50hz :annoyed:

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
zapatistab said:
Can't you just use a U.S. Power Supply on a Japanese Neo. I used to. Maybe I wasn't supposed to.
Someone please confirm.

The Neo Store sell U.S. power supplies.

unfortunately no, you can't. i owned a japanese aes and a us one, not too long ago. and when i was testing both of them out, i decided to simply unhook the cables from the back and put in the system. and it didn't work, i was worried and even called the seller for the other system.

then for some unkown reason i just unhooked everything and plugged the different set of AV and power on the other system and worked fine.

so yeah, i know they use different power supplies. I couldn't get into details (i gave one AES away), otherwise i wish i could help you out.