Jap AES step down advice, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Magn0x

Kuroko's Training Dummy
After speaking to xsq, his advice seems the way to go for me, he advised getting a neosd as a great way to get into the world of Neo Geo gaming without breaking the bank.

I have never owned a AES and after looking on eBay it seems the most available and affordable ones are JAP models, I have seen that it says about using a step down.

This is a noob question, but I am really struggling to get my head around what I would need to buy to go with a JAP AES to use it properly as there is a variety of step downs that I have seen online some massive and others smaller units, I think I would refer a smaller one that is about plug size but don't know if it would be right for what I need.

I did do a search on the forum but being a complete idiot forum noob I just wondered if anyone can please point me in the right direction for what I would need to get to run this system in the UK properly, is there any you use you would recommend?

Apologies in advance if I have missed a thread or am posting in the incorrect place haha

Appreciate any help :)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I bought one on amazon and just plug in a surge protector. Use it for all my Japanese power adapters.

Magn0x

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I bought one on amazon and just plug in a surge protector. Use it for all my Japanese power adapters.

Thanks RAZ_HOE! I don't suppose you still have the link to it on amazon by any chance please if they still do it? Is all you have to do with it is plug it in to the uk plug socket then put the JAP AES adaptor plug into it?

Thanks again for the help! :)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Thanks RAZ_HOE! I don't suppose you still have the link to it on amazon by any chance please if they still do it? Is all you have to do with it is plug it in to the uk plug socket then put the JAP AES adaptor plug into it?

Thanks again for the help! :)

Give me a minute. Let me see if I could find it.

Ok here it is

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GHGPK6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

I purchased the 500 watt unit.

When I purchased it was in 2014 so I don't know if the build quality is the same. The two I purchased have been going strong since.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just keep in mind that the one in the link is for US voltage and not UK. But you would need something similar but 220-240v input.

Magn0x

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Of course, you only really need this if you have a genuine SNK japanese power supply. If it's a 3rd party supply, you don't need it.

MrWunderful

Stakes Winner
Cant you just get a 3rd party UK power supply? Or do The different AES units take different voltages?

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
If you have a 10V AES (Pro Pow 3), you could use a Mega Drive 1 adapter.
I use it on mine since 2003 and never got any issues, but check that you don't have a 5V revision.

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Hey Magn0x, whereabouts in the UK are you?

Magn0x

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hard to say, no real details in the listing. I'd send them a message asking them specifically if it converts the 220/240v to 100v.

Yeah thats a good idea, will drop them a message :)

Cant you just get a 3rd party UK power supply? Or do The different AES units take different voltages?

Yeah the would be great if I could put a uk plug straight into a import AES, I noticed MySoberCompanion said you could use a Mega Drive adapter, would save a bit messing around with step down that I don't really have any experience with.

If you have a 10V AES (Pro Pow 3), you could use a Mega Drive 1 adapter.
I use it on mine since 2003 and never got any issues, but check that you don't have a 5V revision.

I've got a fair bit of mega drive gear, I should have a spare mega drive 1 adapter lying around. So you can use a uk plug like that straight into a JAP AES? Thats fab if so, as I have never imported a console before.

Hey Magn0x, whereabouts in the UK are you?

Cleethorpes SteveNK :)

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Check the voltage of the AC adapter after you buy it. There are 3 different possible voltages that different Neo models run on. Then just buy a decent quality UK AC adapter for that voltage, tip size and polarity.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Check the voltage of the AC adapter after you buy it. There are 3 different possible voltages that different Neo models run on. Then just buy a decent quality UK AC adapter for that voltage, tip size and polarity.

Wouldn't do anything else, step down/up transformers are only for those who must use the original PSU for whatever odd reason. 3 voltages? You mean 9v,10v and 5v? Fairly sure the 9v/10v systems use a voltage regulator that can accept either though?

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
a decent generic switchable psu will power just about any retro console. just make sure to get one with amp output for whichever is your highest rated console. theyre only about £15 and very reliable in my experience.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
a decent generic switchable psu will power just about any retro console. just make sure to get one with amp output for whichever is your highest rated console. theyre only about £15 and very reliable in my experience.

This. I use a generic 9v3A with my Neo. It has always worked perfect, even with converter+NGDevcarts, which AFAIK eat a lot of power.

Magn0x

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Wouldn't do anything else, step down/up transformers are only for those who must use the original PSU for whatever odd reason. 3 voltages? You mean 9v,10v and 5v? Fairly sure the 9v/10v systems use a voltage regulator that can accept either though?

This. I use a generic 9v3A with my Neo. It has always worked perfect, even with converter+NGDevcarts, which AFAIK eat a lot of power.

Thanks for all the comments and help guys, think the step down business has always put me off importing a console, but PAL original AES consoles seem to be fairly hard to find.

Thanks to your help at least I know there will be a few options to get power into the console without damaging anything haha, I'll start having a look round for a JAP AES on eBay.

Thanks again guys! :D

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
For my 9V system I've always used a UK Megadrive PSU and just left the JP PSU stored in a box. It really is the easiest option to buy a UK PSU with the right voltage and polarity and store the original PSU.

Magn0x

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Yeah think it might be the way to go, been rooting round on my retro shelves and in boxes and found a old mega drive adaptor, hopefully this will do the job :)

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I would make certain you have/get a 9v model (if you haven't already done so) before plugging in the PSU.