Jamma Harness - Eyelet connectors... best way to wire them

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
What is the best way to connect wires to the eyelets of the jamma harness?

Currently, I'm using them (jamma harness eyelets) to practice soldering, but soldering the wire seems as if it's TOO strong (not giving the wires enough mobility without slightly loosening the eyelet from the harness). I see my MAS supernova appears to have shrink tubing around the wires (or a tight rubber tubing of sorts), and it appears to be very effective. Are the wires soldered under there? Or are they just threaded and twisted tight?

Arakon

Robert Garcia's Butler
they're soldered.
it's normal that the contacts move a bit inside the connector, unless it's a low quality one and they're actually coming off.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Thanks. They aren't really loose... I'm just a little paranoid. I'm using short wires, too, so that probably is a little harder on the contacts.

Thanks for your help. It was very much appreciated.

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
In my arcade I've seen them maintain a million times and I can say for a fact that they don't solder. What they do is put a molex connector and the end of the wire, Then put that shrink tubing over it, then crimp it tight. and it shouldn't move.

btw nice sig, but I didn't mean it like that I guess I just put in his name a bit too quick... Then again I was freaked. What would you do if some gay guy thought you were the sexiest man alive?

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
zorro:

btw nice sig, but I didn't mean it like that I guess I just put in his name a bit too quick... Then again I was freaked. What would you do if some gay guy thought you were the sexiest man alive?
Heheh, it's cool. I just think it's funny because I know EW outside of these boards. To me, it's funny when EW's sexuality gets questioned. I mean, he's either straight, or he's really just lost interest in me. wink

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I thought he announced it somewhere in the war room. I forgot where though. It seems I guess I'm just too much of a pretty boy. Because all my other friends except one have questioned my sexuality as well. and I just got one thing to say. If they're chicks I'll show them the HARD way that I'm straight. and if they're guys then They should know that I'm straight cause I always gotta be punching them everyday. and gay people don't punch, they slap!

anyway, how do you like my method of button connection? I'm pretty positive that is the universal way that most arcades do that.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Ah, that war room thing was kinda started by me. Long story. lol

I could use the molex connectors off of the wires, but I couldn't use molex connectors directly off of the eyelets. After soldering some longer wires to the eyelets, it took a lot of the stress off of the eyelets/pins when I had to cross the wires around. I think it should end up working just fine from here, though. Probably ends up being less in the long run. That, and I'm just looking for excuses to use my new soldering gun.

Any suggestions on what I should use next to practice soldering? I started with some dead PCBs I had and just tried pinpointing random spots. Then I did the eyelets on a jamma harness (pretty narrow area to work with, good for a second challenge), but I don't know where to go from here.

By the way, any suggestions on how to solder? I've been using a couple of different methods - wrapping the wire around the solder 1 time before burning (and vice versa), taping the wire and contacting it with heated solder... to name a few methods.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Ideally you should pre-tin both the end of the wire and the point/pin/eyelet you are soldering to. Then touch them together and then apply the soldering iron then they should heat together.

A basic guide on how to solder can be found at <a href="http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/solder1.htm" target="_blank">Gamesx.com</a>.

It should be able to give you some ideas on making clean, strong solder joints.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
No kidding.

The instructions I have say to pre-tin the tip of the gun, then to hold the wire around the solder.

Thanks a million, broken. That seems like the best way to do it.

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
brokens got it right.

To tin the wires, strip off the wire casing and touch the soldering iron to the bare wire.

Heat it up for a few seconds, and then touch the solder to the wire (not the iron).

The solder should flow onto the wire and coat the end of it.

Do the same thing on the connector you want to solder the wire to.

Then touch the wire to the connector and apply the iron. The solder should melt quickly and connect the two. Then you can add more solder if needed.

Hope that helps.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
It does. Greatly.

Much better quality!

Edit: Hot damn that's good. I can't believe how little solder is needed. I really wasn't using that much in the first place (seriously, I was doing a pretty clean job)... but damn! I'm trying to pull this sucker appart and it won't budge!

Thanks for the help guys!

<small>[ April 06, 2003, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: ForeverSublime ]</small>