Jacob Blake - I need facts and the NBA boycott

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I'm kinda confused still.

Here are the facts I do know:

-His girlfriend called the cops on him because he was sitting in her house and he was not invited.

-They tried to use a stun gun first but it did not work out.

-The police officer shot him seven times with his back turned.

-The man is still alive but paralyzed.

Ok, done with that. We know he had a knife on him, but here's where it gets murky. Was it in his hand or in the car? Was it justified for the officer to shoot him since he wasn't in attack mode?

Even with this confusion, does it strike you as odd that a kid (17 yrs old) shot into a crowd of protesters but was shown more dignity than Blake? I dunno. I'm trying not to be biased here.

My take:

This isn't as clear cut as George Floyd. Does the NBA really want to die on this hill?

Your thoughts?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I mean, this seems to be pretty common. The police follow a non-violent suspect, staying within close range of him, and then, once they have the slightest inkling that he could be reaching for a weapon, they use lethal force.

When it comes to non-violent suspects, wouldn't the safer thing for everyone be to keep your distance? Then if he pulls out a knife, the cops aren't in immediate danger. He would have to run at them, in which time, the police could shoot, if they truly felt their lives were in danger.

It sounds to me like they were essentially harassing him until they had an excuse to try to murder him.

You're right that it's not as clear-cut as George Floyd's case, but it's still an excessive use of force. I'm not black, so I don't think I'm in a position to judge whether or not the striking NBA players should be doing so.

Meanwhile, they police drove right past the white shooter from last night as he walked towards them and held up his hands in surrender. Huh...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
They used a TASER not a stun gun. There is a difference.

I’m not sure how they’re going to be able to justify shooting him 7 times in the back unless he reached in to that car and pulled a gun.

Dude sounds like he may have been a POS but even shit doesn’t deserve what he got.

Just a friendly reminder to not resist arrest unless you’re prepared to die.

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Just a friendly reminder to not resist arrest unless you’re prepared to die.

Bingo.

People are shocked when the cops use lethal force, put yourselves in their shoes. In hindsight yeah he didn't have a gun but how do they know?

You couldn't pay me enough to be a cop with all the shit they have to deal with. I'm surprised anyone does it.

theMot

10 Year Member
Does the NBA really want to die on this hill?

Your thoughts?

The NBA organisation and players are hypocritical assholes. When the agenda suits them (like China) they tow the line, when it doesn't they blow up like a second hand lawnmower.

Tell me LeBron and others, you have a problem with human rights issues in Murca but not problem wearing and being paid millions by Nike. Shoes that are produced in Chinese sweat shops for slave labour wages.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Bingo.

People are shocked when the cops use lethal force, put yourselves in their shoes. In hindsight yeah he didn't have a gun but how do they know?

You couldn't pay me enough to be a cop with all the shit they have to deal with. I'm surprised anyone does it.

LOL you can’t shoot someone because you think he may have a gun.

After they failed to restrain him they should have just let him run off.

Arrest his ass later.

Like conducting a high speed chase through town it’s just not worth it. Call for more backup.

Hit the motherfuxker with a club. Use your other tasers. Don’t shoot him 7 times in the back while you’re also holding on to his shirt.

Also to be clear I offer my don’t resist message because I don’t want anyone to get killed. Resisting arrest, even an unlawful arrest, is illegal. So unless you’re prepared to #shootback then shut the fuck up and comply with their orders. The only word out your mouth should be: lawyer.

theMot

10 Year Member
LOL you can’t shoot someone because you think he may have a gun.

After they failed to restrain him they should have just let him run off.

Arrest his ass later.

Like conducting a high speed chase through town it’s just not worth it. Call for more backup.

Hit the motherfuxker with a club. Use your other tasers. Don’t shoot him 7 times in the back while you’re also holding on to his shirt.

Also to be clear I offer my don’t resist message because I don’t want anyone to get killed. Resisting arrest, even an unlawful arrest, is illegal. So unless you’re prepared to #shootback then shut the fuck up and comply with their orders. The only word out your mouth should be: lawyer.

He's reaching into his car to get something. Could be a kitkat could be a gun. Easiest solution for him is to not resist arrest as you said and then he wouldn't have 7 holes in his back.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
LOL.

You don’t get to shoot someone because they COULD have been up to something.

What’s interesting is only 1 cop fired his gun.

theMot

10 Year Member
LOL.

You don’t get to shoot someone because they COULD have been up to something.

What’s interesting is only 1 cop fired his gun.

If he turned around with a gun in his hand the cop would be the one dead. Can't wait to find out in that situation, it's either kill or be killed.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If he turned around with a gun in his hand the cop would be the one dead. Can't wait to find out in that situation, it's either kill or be killed.

This isn't Mad Max or Training Day. Why would it get to that point. He had his kids in the van.

Maybe the mentality that every situation is kill or be killed, or the shittier mentality of "how can I be a hero?", rather than protecting and serving the public, is the problem there.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Bingo.

maybe the police don't need to pull their gun unless the suspect has committed a felony, or if the officer has reasonable suspicion, based on evidence, that the suspect is about to become an imminent threat. At that point, go to step 2 and draw weapon, step 3 tell the suspect to stop moving and raise their arms, step 3 order the suspect to kneel on the ground, step 4 cuff the suspect behind their back, step 5 request back up if they are not already present.

The officer in the Jacob Drake matter skipped all the steps and simply emptied his gun in a man's back.

Procedure means something. And if an officer can't be arsed to learn the procedure, they shouldn't be arsed to have a gun.

theMot

10 Year Member
maybe the police don't need to pull their gun unless the suspect has committed a felony, or if the officer has reasonable suspicion, based on evidence, that the suspect is about to become an imminent threat. At that point, go to step 2 and draw weapon, step 3 tell the suspect to stop moving and raise their arms, step 3 order the suspect to kneel on the ground, step 4 cuff the suspect behind their back, step 5 request back up if they are not already present.

The officer in the Jacob Drake matter skipped all the steps and simply emptied his gun in a man's back.

Procedure means something. And if an officer can't be arsed to learn the procedure, they shouldn't be arsed to have a gun.

They pretty much did all that. Old mate then decided to skip along to the van and go for a Kitkat.

Again, if you don’t want to even risk being shot at then don’t resist arrest. Maybe these type of incidents need to happen more regularly for people to start getting the memo.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Yeah I don't know.

From a moral view there's the old positive identification system. You identify somebody and that they are a threat before you act. Think of the old days when people dueled. What would happen if you took three steps instead of four and shot them in the back before they turned around? Police today actually have the advantage because they can already have their weapon pulled and trained on someone before they can even touch their weapon.

Because we value law enforcement so much we have cheapened it and easily accept shoot first ask questions later mentality. People get shot and killed when they don't even have a weapon, let alone going to use it on them.

Ok so our parents all tell us all at a young age that bad things can happen if we don't follow directions or resist arrest. That's the exception not the rule.You might get an ass whoopin. That doesn't mean it's ok or legal it's just that risk you take.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
They pretty much did all that. Old mate then decided to skip along to the van and go for a Kitkat.

Again, if you don’t want to even risk being shot at then don’t resist arrest. Maybe these type of incidents need to happen more regularly for people to start getting the memo.

Your victim blaming game is strong.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Ok so our parents all tell us all at a young age that bad things can happen if we don't follow directions or resist arrest. That's the exception not the rule.You might get an ass whoopin. That doesn't mean it's ok or legal it's just that risk you take.

My parents never told me that. They never had to tell me that. I have never felt threatened by police officers. I would imagine any white person who says they have ever felt threatened by police is either full of shit, or comes from a part of town that never had a neo geo.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
maybe the police don't need to pull their gun unless the suspect has committed a felony

When the Police confront you for commiting the same Felonies you have warrants out for...3rd degree sexual assualt(rape) and criminal trespass(rape)
You better start playing nice because you have been identified as someone that they want to keep others safe from. #victimblaming

They only got the opportunity to Try to serve his warrants because he did the same shitty shit again.
If you have warrants , well you know keep your nose clean etc as you are no longer a free person deserving of "Equality".

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
My parents never told me that. They never had to tell me that. I have never felt threatened by police officers. I would imagine any white person who says they have ever felt threatened by police is either full of shit, or comes from a part of town that never had a neo geo.

My mother did. It was part of my driving lessons. Which she actually didn't do a very good job of because she kept freaking out. I ended up doing most of my learning by myself. But I remeber that part at the end.

Try and have your documents ready before you stop. Pull over on the side of the road. Turn off the vehicle roll down the windows put your hands flat on the steering wheel and look ahead. Answer questions and give a sir/maam at the end and follow directions.

When I was a small child it was just us and we lived in the hood. Shortly after she got married and I typically grew up in middle class neighborhoods. I spent most of my time growing up in that town Aurora Colorado where that dude shot up the movie theater when the Batman movie came out. People make fun of it or whatnot but I think it's OK.

I had a Neo I horse traded for. Several businesses around my house had cabs.

Not too long after I got my drivers license decided to step on the gas around a curve and accidentally hit my lights off by accident for a second. A couple seconds later I got pulled over. Officer claims I was elluding him, going some crazy speed like 100. Within a minute or two a dozen other cop cars showed up along with a paddywagon. It was a little two seater car, I don't know why they needed a wagon. Anyways my friend was being silly, not disrespectful ..one police officer said oh we've got ourselves a comedian and two of the pulled him out a tiny window in a couple seconds flat. They dragged him back to the paddy wagon and he claims they beat him up for no reason. He spent several days starring into a mirror waiting and looking for bruises.

I threw my keys out the window and stood outside the car at gunpoint with my hands behind my head while K9 and police tore up my car. I ended up getting like a 30 point ticket and ended up having a suspended work license for several years because of it.

It seems like the town in the mid 90's to early 00's had a ticket quota for police and they got a percent of their budget revenue from them. I estimate I got pulled over several times a month. Usually random two minute stops to check my paperwork. Could be a ticket for a defective vehicle or they sometimes tossed my car saying it matched a description of a vehicle in a crime or i looked like a suspect.

I did some work in the military and got veteran plates as soon as I could and life has been beautiful since. Any hassles or tickets I've gotten I totally deserved.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Is it because you are black? Sorry I don't know who is or who would think it was if they were..I am pretty sure you like Vidya games to an extent or at least did once-?

Pulled into work after having passed a dump truck once...officer claimed evading.I asked why he didn't turn on his lights or siren...because the second we do we become a target...like 8 years ago .police were volatised like Arabs were going to get them or something because of 9 11.

Felon with warrants acting entitled and disobeying got shot...I bet I could have got that guy to shoot me by saying I didn't have to tell him why I was at the rich folks house by the lake and to just give me a ticket.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
My mother did. It was part of my driving lessons. Which she actually didn't do a very good job of because she kept freaking out. I ended up doing most of my learning by myself. But I remeber that part at the end.

Try and have your documents ready before you stop. Pull over on the side of the road. Turn off the vehicle roll down the windows put your hands flat on the steering wheel and look ahead. Answer questions and give a sir/maam at the end and follow directions.

When I was a small child it was just us and we lived in the hood. Shortly after she got married and I typically grew up in middle class neighborhoods. I spent most of my time growing up in that town Aurora Colorado where that dude shot up the movie theater when the Batman movie came out. People make fun of it or whatnot but I think it's OK.

I had a Neo I horse traded for. Several businesses around my house had cabs.

Not too long after I got my drivers license decided to step on the gas around a curve and accidentally hit my lights off by accident for a second. A couple seconds later I got pulled over. Officer claims I was elluding him, going some crazy speed like 100. Within a minute or two a dozen other cop cars showed up along with a paddywagon. It was a little two seater car, I don't know why they needed a wagon. Anyways my friend was being silly, not disrespectful ..one police officer said oh we've got ourselves a comedian and two of the pulled him out a tiny window in a couple seconds flat. They dragged him back to the paddy wagon and he claims they beat him up for no reason. He spent several days starring into a mirror waiting and looking for bruises.

I threw my keys out the window and stood outside the car at gunpoint with my hands behind my head while K9 and police tore up my car. I ended up getting like a 30 point ticket and ended up having a suspended work license for several years because of it.

It seems like the town in the mid 90's to early 00's had a ticket quota for police and they got a percent of their budget revenue from them. I estimate I got pulled over several times a month. Usually random two minute stops to check my paperwork. Could be a ticket for a defective vehicle or they sometimes tossed my car saying it matched a description of a vehicle in a crime or i looked like a suspect.

I did some work in the military and got veteran plates as soon as I could and life has been beautiful since. Any hassles or tickets I've gotten I totally deserved.

I was taught similar. Respect the police and if you get pulled over, pull over to the right, shut off the vehicle, put your keys on the dashboard, and put your hands on the steering wheel. If I have to reach into my glove compartment to get documents I always ask the officer if it's ok to do so.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I was taught similar. Respect the police and if you get pulled over, pull over to the right, shut off the vehicle, put your keys on the dashboard, and put your hands on the steering wheel. If I have to reach into my glove compartment to get documents I always ask the officer if it's ok to do so.

Philandro Castile tried that, didn’t work.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Philandro Castile tried that, didn’t work.

But didn't Castile have a gun on him?

If you have a gun on you and you get pulled over don't move, don't reach in your pockets, don't do shit. The minute a cop sees you have a gun they go in itchy trigger finger mode.

Last edited: