I've done gone and F'd something up...

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
Killer Instinct problem below still, but since i've started messing with the KI boards... I can't get my other boards to either boot up, or just flat out stay on without resetting.

-=-=-=-=--

So just today I received these from another member here on the forums.

I don't know if it's the fact that they're Midway boards, but i've never really had good luck with Midway boards.

anyways, so I go to try out the Pcb's. got KI 1 & KI 2. Sometimes I get the blue screen and a "bong" noise. the majority of the time I don't get anything to come up on the screen.

ONE time I actually got the whole KI 1 to boot up, and was playing for like a minute.

If the blue screen does come on, it usually resets itself.

i'm using a Sega boardmaster supergun, and I don't think I can turn up the voltage on the PSU.

If you need pics or anything in order to help, just ask!

Last edited:

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
this is what you mean by - 5, right?

harnessou0.jpg

-=-=-=-=-=-

Earlier when I was trying it out I wasn't using the little board connector here:

stuffjp7.jpg

was that a bad move? beacuse now I can't get the blue screen to show up w/ or w/o that little piece.

-=-=-==-=-

when I plug it in now and turn it on the "d. drive active" light only turns on for a sec then pops off, and the "sound active" led doesn't even come on.

I tried turning it on w/o the flash disc attached, and the "d. drive active" light was solid, and nothing from the sound led.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I think midway boards:

use -5
are notoriously unreliable.

Looks like your harness is wired for -5 though.

Penguinmasta

New Challenger
let me know if you get your KI1 or KI2 working. I just shipped my board and KI1/KI2 roms and hard drives out to http://www.revisionx.com for testing.

I bought a KI cab and got to play it for a total of 1 hour. Then the problems started. My MVS 1slot plays perfect now that i hooked up the "4th" button :).

I have the same problems with My KI1 or KI2 setup. I'd get the blue screen the bong and nothing, or with KI2 i would get a red screen with no bong. Or just a checkered screen and no noise.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
^ If you find out anything useful from them that might help, be sure to post it up in this thread.

btw... does anybody know if you can fry a KI board by not hooking it up properly?

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
I don't know what I did, but ever since I started messing with my KI boards.. my other PCB's won't boot. And for the slight chance that they do, they reset after a minute.

everything was working perfect just yesterday. anybody have a theory about this new problem?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
power supply dying?

something come loose?

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
That smaller PCB that interfaces between the board and the hard drive, is a drive controller for KI2. That means your KI2 started life as KI1, and was converted.

I had a KI2 board (conversion from KI1) with similar issues as that one, and I was never able to determine the problem.

Kernow is right about the -5V. Most Midway boards are pieces of shit, and die if the humidity is too high.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
I thought it could be the power supply dying, but that's kind of odd that it randomly started to die after trying those KI boards.

I think what I need to do is open up the Supergun and see if the - 5 is actually attached to anything. that might be my underlying problem for the KI boards.

68k I actually have another board seperatly for KI 2. It's a dedicated board, no conversion. I just had the KI 1 pcb pictured.

my question is though.. do you need to use that little drive controller attachment board for KI 1? or is it only used for KI 2?

and also, the KI boards actually DIE if you don't hook them up properly?

Penguinmasta

New Challenger
^ If you find out anything useful from them that might help, be sure to post it up in this thread.

btw... does anybody know if you can fry a KI board by not hooking it up properly?

It looks like my board is dead. The guy testing it said all of my roms, HDs, and CF kit/upgrade all work in his board.

Now i have to find another board. or does anyone know a good place to get these things repaired at?

My problem was my power supply. It was running low. Before i converted my cab to use with my MVS 1slot I got in there and really played around with the PSU to learn how it works. now it have it running at i believe 5.1 to the board and everything appears to be working perfectly. before i did that i think it was set to low, then i juiced it up and that's what fried it (i believe). before i messed with any of the PSU settings it was hit or miss getting the thing to start up and play.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Buy/make a logic probe and do some basic troubleshooting yourself. It could be something simple.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I would try raising the +5v if you can to see if that helps the resetting, I have had some boards that would continually reset or not come on if the +5v was too low.

Don't go above +5.2 to +5.25 though. Things may begin to fry that high.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Well, if memory serves me right, a blue screen indicates a problem with the hard drive activating. A red screen means a bad HD or ROM. The +5 should be slightly above that...around 5.2 and being a Midway board, -5 must be present. Doubt if this is much help since it's been years since I've owned a KI board and I'm unfamiliar with the new flash board replacement for the HD.

As far as frying a KI if not hooked up properly...oh yeah, you can do that. Had someone do that to one of my NBA JAM boards (also Midway) when the person installing a new power supply crossed power wires.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Boards like these are NOTORIOUS for popped solder connections on those tiny surface mount chip pins.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
The power supply I have in this supergun doesn't even have a tuning knob; So I don't see how I can raise the voltage any.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Theres more than likely a trimpot in it to adjust the voltage. However if your PSU is so shit that its not adjustable, I'd suggest that may be your problem.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
I guess i'll have to look at it again, but I remember last time I opened up the casing and took a look at the PSU, I got a chuckle out of it, because it's just a generic PSU. Same with the encoder.

Anyways, I might be selling the thing tommorow. NOt because of this little problem, but because I need a new stick for my PS3 & SFIV.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
Don't reallly mean to bump an ancient thread, but today I decided to try out the KI 1 board again, because it turned out the KI 2 board I sold did work.

So the first few times I turned it on I got the blue screen (which had only happened a few times in the past) but it kept resetting. Also, it kept beeping constantly while the blue screen was doing it's thing. What does that mean!?

anyways, I turned on the dip switch for the test menu, and the test menu did come up.

dsc0975.jpg

When I exited the test menu the blue screen did come up again, but again started resetting everytime it got to the bottom of the screen.

Then, just randomly the blue screen didn't reset, and the board actually turned on, and stayed on.

dsc0971.jpg

dsc0965.jpg

any guess as to why the board works sometimes, and doesn't work other times?