It's funny how the characters haven't really aged...

The Auction Sniper

Host for Orochi
Looking back at KOF '94, it seems that the charcaters haven't really evolved in terms of appearance or age.

Are we to believe that Athena is still going to be a schoolgirl in 2010?! Even Chin seems to be doing alright in his old age, while it seems Ralf and Clark haven't aged a bit.

Not to forget that Robert and Yuri have been dating for 10 years now....

Its a bit ridiculous seeing how the years seem to change (and maybe the style of culture, looking back at KOF94), but the characters seem to have eternal youth...

Tom

The Frog of Genjuro,
The endings for Ryo and Robert seem to hint Robert and Yuri gets married in Italy.

As far as age goes they really don't change much year to year, but in MOTW Terry does look older. I guess for the KOF games it has its own storyline, but doesn't have any real relevance outside of that. The KOF games seem to have no real influence on AOF or FF. The only real influence is it shows Rock as a kid, but besides that really nothing.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Wait wait wait. The aging thing throws you, but the fact that dead characters keep coming back... that's okay? wink

Seriously, it's time for a brand new line of KOF, or maybe they should end it with 2002. Sad, but let's face it already. I think 2002 is a great way to end it, since it's my favorite. :D

Spike

I guess they have to keep the popularity of the characters...in today's society, being young is apparently the "in" thing. Notice how many of todays "pop stars" are like, what 18-22?
After 10 years, Bart Simpson is still 10 years old.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Yeah but I think the Bart Simpson part is a running gag of the series as they do show Bart, Lisa, and Maggie as older in some future episodes.. meaning that they're being kept young because they're trapped in a time warp so to speak.

I heard that in KoF 2003 the designers were going to age the characters to correspond with the timeline.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
It would be nice if more charicters got costume changes and updated hair styles and whatnot. Athena always gets a new costume and Kyo got a new one in the Nests saga but Iori is still living his 80's dark Duran Duran period. lol

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
As cool and as elaborated some of the SNK characters are, most of them just represent a certain style, a way of living and fighting, which is "age-less" in some way. On the one hand, it would be cool to see them getting older and wiser, with certain changes in their move repertoire, but overall, the audience for fighting games mostly is quite young, between, say, 12 and 28 years, and I doubt that they would feel attracted to old folks fighting it out while hanging on life support... :cool:

Orochi_Flava

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Just change their outfits mostly. I'm tired of seeing Chang and Choi dressed like Kim..that was funny for like 1 year. Robert changes somewhat...Ryo should follow his example. Iori is begging for new clothes and so are Kensou, Chin, and especially WHIP. K' could use a haircut too.

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
Well, would you want to play with a middle-aged Mai?

Can you say "soccer-mom"? :cool:

Kof 2001 rox

Hardened Shock Trooper
Domino-chan:
Yeah but I think the Bart Simpson part is a running gag of the series as they do show Bart, Lisa, and Maggie as older in some future episodes.. meaning that they're being kept young because they're trapped in a time warp so to speak.

I heard that in KoF 2003 the designers were going to age the characters to correspond with the timeline.
age characters? chin dead (likely)? athena no annoying voice? mai bogard (that name is ugly)? terry in MOTW outfit? yuri older? whip deeper voice? ummm... i dunno, cuz some of that is good, but some is bad

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
The ageing aspect in a fighting game offers great opportunities for character development. I would love to see another game with a younger geese , as in art of fighting 2. That geese seems unstoppable.

Also I think Ryo in AF would be interesting playing as an older character.Perhaps he would abandon shotokan and expand on the judo moves he showed in AF3??? Maybe he would just become Takuma, who knows??

Rock howard is great case in point, he seems half terry/half geese.

As for Mai, I know some people will hate me for this, but with the exception of Todo, sinclair and the sam 2 boss, ive always considered women fighters in a game a joke anyway.Pretty much all the kof ones at any rate

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
That's what I love about Tekken... they keep getting older. It's very cool to see people come and go, and to see people age and what not. I like it.

Spike

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
Exactly. I mean what style did Mr Miyagi use in his younger days.

Also how come no one in the 2d fighting world ever made a mr miyagi clone in a game???

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Timeline is a bullshit lie. wink buttrock

We just need to see some cool old characters gathered in the ultimate KOF before it dies. wink

Orochi Makkusu-san

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Atrophyed:
Timeline is a bullshit lie. wink buttrock

We just need to see some cool old characters gathered in the ultimate KOF before it dies. wink
yeh, you're right man!

maybe they could make just some new costumes...
and built them in a special factor...
so the gameplay would last much longer...

i never would play with a pregnant mai...
or a pensioned alcoholic kyo....
or just imagine an athena with grey hairs......

Honeychan

Rugal's Thug
Oh, I can see it now!!!

"KING OF WHEELCHAIR FIGHTERS"

Yup, Ralf and Clark can come out, both in wheelchairs, and try to do their retarded opening pose together.. I'd SOOOO buy that game. *LOL* Or, howsabout a droopy-boobed Mai, after 2 or 3 kids???? HAH! COMEDY GOLD!

Honeychan

<small>[ February 10, 2003, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: Honeychan ]</small>

Alkanan

Sakura's Bank Manager
I suggest that they should switch Iori's costume with his "Another Iori" outfit. That outfit was badass.

KingOfAngels

King's Dry Cleaner
If the time line doesnt change doesnt that mean that KOF will never get the Garou: Mark Of The Wolves characters? very_ang

GEORGE

New Challenger
KingOfAngels:
If the time line doesnt change doesnt that mean that KOF will never get the Garou: Mark Of The Wolves characters? very_ang
Sure hope that happens so they can switch out chang and choi for Kim's don and jae

Orochi_Flava

Over Top Auto Mechanic
They can always "reset" the characters and storylines into a new matching one...Think of it like what DC and Marvel have done with their characters. DC had "Crisis of the Infinite Earths" and Marvel Just Relaunced most of their hot properties, and it has worked for them... So why not do the same for KOF? That way we can keep the characters we love, and since the storyline would get refreshed, inconsistencies could get smoothed over.... look at how Batman has been altered over the years to reflect the different era's...yet he remains the same character that he was when he originally launched, and still has the same villains..etc.

All Kof would have to do is keep their gameplay, and keep the character designs fresh.

KingOfAngels

King's Dry Cleaner
Orochi_Flava:
They can always "reset" the characters and storylines into a new matching one...Think of it like what DC and Marvel have done with their characters. DC had "Crisis of the Infinite Earths" and Marvel Just Relaunced most of their hot properties, and it has worked for them... So why not do the same for KOF? That way we can keep the characters we love, and since the storyline would get refreshed, inconsistencies could get smoothed over.... look at how Batman has been altered over the years to reflect the different era's...yet he remains the same character that he was when he originally launched, and still has the same villains..etc.

All Kof would have to do is keep their gameplay, and keep the character designs fresh.
Well if you mean batman the same Batman with more additions and still fighting crime it's the same. But not the same person and most of the villans there were childish teens. It would be like saying Terry's son inherits all his fathers abilities and he is named Terry still.. very_ang

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
OMG, they need to age the women. I need some MILFs!!!

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I agree with the Tekken sentiment. I would really love to see characters come and go, while the others getting older. Honestly, I think it would've been awesome to kill off a team each year in KOF story. Have a more dramatic story, y'know? Like have the Ikari team killed by Rugal, or somebody else. Sure, the Ikari fans would bitch, but shit that gives room for more teams to enter the KOF instead of the same ones every year. The more KOFs that come out, the more it feels rehashed with little to no effort put in.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Hell ! We are always complaining about KOF's nowadays!!

Do you know where the problem is ? Year 98.

SNK did the best of their KOF jobs. SNK's guilty over this.

If they have made KOF99 in year 98, then 2000... to 2002 and 2002 KOF being KOF98, the next year everybody would be complaining because 2002 ( 98 ) was the MAX.

The problem is that KOF98 IS AND EVER WILL be the best kof ever.

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
All I can say is Oil of Olay. Oh yeah, and if Mai was middle aged, I would still.....well you know.